Goulburn Airport for sale

The Goulburn airport owner wants to sell the airport.

I'm not sure if this has been the happiest of relationships and has been as conducive to GA as the sale of Canberra airport to Terry Snow.

https://the-riotact.com/goulburn-airport-owner-wants-to-cash-in-properties-and-retire/742379

The historic Currandooley private airstrip which once had 3 operational strips during and after WW2  is soon to be glazed over with solar panels

https://www.blindcreeksolarfarm.com.au/

Any thoughts about where to hangar aircraft in the region would be welcome. I'm still amazed that the national capital only has a single airport within about 100km.

• Informative 1

48 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Areas around Canberra are not weather friendly to light aircraft. You'll have to be even more careful getting through to the Coast..Nev

No worse than Sydney Basin (may be better) and many other locations.

Far more icing  in the Goulburn- Canberra area. . Sydney gets HAIL but you wouldn't be flying at all in  conditions conducive to Hail in a light aircraft unless you are Mad. . Nev

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Everywhere has challenges which pilots need to remain aware, many incidents and accidents occur due to far more mundane things.

But before this you need somewhere to take off an land from. Sydney at one point had many more aerodromes, however real-estate developers had other ideas.

The current owner of the Goulburn airport may had hoped that the high speed train was going to be routed through this area at  some point allowing a significant profit. This never occurred

Edited by Ian
typo

Hopefully Goulburn council or the Government buys it back at the same price they sold it for.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ian said:

But before this you need somewhere to take off an land from. Sydney at one point had many more aerodromes, however real-estate developers had other ideas.

Developers just take advantage of whatever situations arise (bit like Vultures eating the dead) - the real fault is with the Government(s) of the day, making short term decisions (about public assets/facilities) for short term financial gain and bugger the long-term consequences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Soon, it will be private airstrips or next to nothing.  Pilots will organise impromptu gatherings/camp outs etc in these places.

Away from prying eyes etc.  Be guaranteed no CASA ramp checks etc. 

It seems protecting existing aviation facilities against development is a lost cause in many cases 🤢

12 minutes ago, Methusala said:

Would insurance cover private landing grounds?

These days, you only get to find that out in court of law as it’s rare that many insurance companies pay out for anything.

Having a policy give no guarantee of coverage anymore. 🤢

• Like 1

Ian, have you heard if the Goulburn Council is in favour of - or insisting on - the land being retained as the town's airport by any new owner?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Garfly said:

Ian, have you heard if the Goulburn Council is in favour of - or insisting on - the land being retained as the town's airport by any new owner?

They don’t own the property so can’t do anything as long as its rates are being paid and the uses are in accordance with its Planning zone, overlays and permits.

Yeah, well I was wondering whether there were any zoning type restrictions that'd ensure it remains an airport.

This article seems to suggest there are.

Steven Westlake, principal at Ashby York, has described the airport as “a premier investment opportunity in the aviation sector”

... “Moreover, the property offers a unique opportunity for potential investors with its SP2 zoning, designating it as a ‘special purpose’ zone aimed at safeguarding infrastructure and supporting related uses. This zoning underscores the airport’s pivotal role in regional transportation,” the firm said.

AUSTRALIANAVIATION.COM.AU

The general aviation airport, which has been owned by Goulburn businessman John Ferrara since 2011, has been listed for sale through real estate firm Ashby York as Ferrara looks to divest from his property...
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Yeah, well I was wondering whether there were any zoning type restrictions that'd ensure it remains an airport.

This article seems to suggest there are.

Steven Westlake, principal at Ashby York, has described the airport as “a premier investment opportunity in the aviation sector”

... “Moreover, the property offers a unique opportunity for potential investors with its SP2 zoning, designating it as a ‘special purpose’ zone aimed at safeguarding infrastructure and supporting related uses. This zoning underscores the airport’s pivotal role in regional transportation,” the firm said.

AUSTRALIANAVIATION.COM.AU

The general aviation airport, which has been owned by Goulburn businessman John Ferrara since 2011, has been listed for sale through real estate firm Ashby York as Ferrara looks to divest from his property...

Each zone has a list of as of right Uses (where you don't need a permit), List of Uses which require a planning Permit (different to building permit which comes later) and List of Uses which are Prohibited.

If you look at those lists attached to this SP2 zone you can see what's allowed and what's not allowed.

4 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Each zone has a list of as of right Uses (where you don't need a permit), List of Uses which require a planning Permit (different to building permit which comes later) and List of Uses which are Prohibited.

If you look at those lists attached to this SP2 zone you can see what's allowed and what's not allowed.

Okay, but all I really wanted was some assurance that it'll remain an airport.  And it seems it will. That's good.

44 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Okay, but all I really wanted was some assurance that it'll remain an airport.  And it seems it will. That's good.

No that’s a different question. Life isn’t as simple as that. An owner or lessee can apply for a planning permit For anything at any time, and most Tribunal hearings are for a decision on why a different Use should be permitted despite the zoning.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Zoning only works up until someone who wants it changed is mates with a councillor.

You get above that easily by taking it to the State Tribunal. Of course an awful lot of people sit back and do nothing and the Council decision stands by deafault.

• Agree 1

image.thumb.png.fec7bf8bffd0249cbcd2f6d7ce62d1f8.png

Well, notwithstanding the Bob Jellys of the world ... I'd have thought there'd be a pretty strong

sentiment in an important town like Goulburn that it have a well functioning airport.

So ,call me naive, but I'm comforted, for now, that YGLB will stay due "its SP2 zoning, designating it as a ‘special purpose’ zone aimed at safeguarding infrastructure and supporting related uses. This zoning underscores the airport’s pivotal role in regional transportation,” 

Edited by Garfly

5 minutes ago, Garfly said:

image.thumb.png.fec7bf8bffd0249cbcd2f6d7ce62d1f8.png

Well, notwithstanding the Bob Jellys of the world ... I'd have thought there'd be a pretty strong

sentiment in an important town like Goulburn that it have a well functioning airport.

So ,call me naive, but I'm comforted, for now, that YGLB will stay due "its SP2 zoning, designating it as a ‘special purpose’ zone aimed at safeguarding infrastructure and supporting related uses. This zoning underscores the airport’s pivotal role in regional transportation,” 

I take it you didn't bother to take the relatively simple step of checking what  the SP2 Zone includes or take any notice of the fact that someone can put in an Application for something Pilots might not want and have it approved at the Tribunal. If I wanted this airport to stay I'd be on red alert right now.