Jabiru LSA auction finishing 20th May 2024

Posted (edited)

This has just popped up, might be of interest to someone with a few skills.

These threads tend to turn into a quagmire Jabiru witch hunt, maybe we could all be nice and help the dreaming purchaser not spend to much. ❤️

I don’t know the aeroplane but it could be a cheap buy needing just wing bolts and an annual, so maybe $500.00.
On the other hand it could end a top overhaul, muffler, carb, new prop, brakes, battery, instruments, tyres tubes and a bit of glass work. That’s $20,000 pretty quickly.

Perhaps someone on here knows it’s history 

be kind 

Justin 

https://www.pickles.com.au/general/item/-/details/1995-Jabiru-Model-553J-Light-Sports-Aircraft--TTIS-1398-5/745430/

Under instruction from the vendor, Pickles is offering for sale this 1995 Jabiru Model: 55-3J Light Sports Aircraft.

TTIS:1398.5. Jabiru 2200J Engine, TSO: 593.5. Power Assurance #1 78/80, #2 70/80, #3 70/80, #4 72/80. Recreational Australia Registration 55-1845 (Plane in Storage with Wings Removed) Located at Mobray Park NSW, Serial No: 0008

Buyers can bid from anywhere in Australia exclusively via Pickles ONLINE.

The start time for this auction is Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 2:00pm AEST with the highest bidder determined at the close of bidding on Monday, 20 May 2024 at 6:00pm AEST.

For all enquiries, please contact Gavin Dempsey. Follow the link below for details.

https://www.planesales.com.au/details/Listing/Single-Engine-Propeller/10717/1995-Jabiru-LSA-55-3J-Online-Auction

https://www.planesales.com.au/details/Listing/Single-Engine-Propeller/10717/1995-Jabiru-LSA-55-3J-Online-Auction?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2BD3tdPOtvISGs-1JvBJwZYZu-raMxOFd5JNkhLM8kXMU7QL52zGNaC3c_aem_ARV6pvW_DumoPSsfLHOQMJZdlaNovqnD4aH5AuGJAS6z3TO1KC37J1DWrqcz5jjHOEtoNUdOt5ZndUbjfEdpfoN2

Edited by justinjsinclair

Nice panel. Transponder likely need replacing. Transceiver could do with an upgrade (assuming no channel monitor function).

They should show the wings, not just the fuselage (clearly a ground vehicle auctioneer).

According to advertise location, thee aircraft is about 15 ks from me - should the eventual purchaser need an "aircraft carrier" I have a fully enclosed one that may suit.

• Helpful 1

Would barely be worth the cost of getting it home... It's a 30-year-old Jabiru being sold "as-is, where-is", is my thinking.

Looks like quite a bit of corrosion on the axles & brake calipers, NLG strut, engine cylinders and engine mount. Buying things like this at auction can really burn through the $$$ when you may be better off stumping up the $$ for a flying J120.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Found the wings! - seek and ye shall be find !

Agree with KR - for the right price (free) it might be a good rainy day project.

55 rego - thats a factor build ???

It would need (if allowed) to be changed to a 19 or E rego,  for a cost effective (nil labour) home builder to make a go of it.

Its not a Light Sport Aircraft a advertised, thats a statutory offence!     Its a 55 rego'ed factory built.

430 kgs take off weight is as good as useless.

Pass.

If my memory serves me well the original Jab was called an LSA years before the new up to 600 LSA was even thought of. I almost bought one. So Jabiru had the original “LSA”. It also had a couple of other designators as well.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Would be a good project for 5000.

Too many unknowns to pay any more.

Those leakdowns could be done before it was put in storage. Has it  been sitting for years unpickled .

If it came out at no more than 20,000 ready to fly it would be ok.

55,s. Are not worth a lot.

4 hours ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Its not a Light Sport Aircraft a advertised, thats a statutory offence!     Its a 55 rego'ed factory built.

430 kgs take off weight is as good as useless.

Pass.

They can be uprated to 544kg

Hi thought I would get in on the conversation on the Jabiru for auction 

I know that aeroplane and its owner 

I know the full history from new 

It is LSA factory built

It has had 3 owners from new 

First owner from  new and first registered  from new GA VH-PEA

with the original 1600 engine 

It was sold to its second owner a syndicate of 5guys in QLD by this time the engines where 2200 

they put a factory reco 2200

fitted by a Lame and transferred it to what was then AUF . Rego 55-1845 the aircraft had always been maintained by LAME log books to prove it, that engine failed at 40hrs on the ground before take off due to an oil problem failure 

A dispute between jabiru and the LAME occurred, I’m lead to believe and Jabiru just took the engine back and a brand new Crate engine was supplied and fitted ,(solid lifter engine )I know there is documentation on this ,the syndicate members had a dispute and the plane was sold to a guy in Sydney 2002  with a total time of approximately 850 hrs and approximately 40hrs on the new crate , motor, log books confirm exact hours at time of purchase! he flew it home from QLD ,  I know it’s nil accident aircraft and owner pilot 

the plane was hangered all it s life up to about 2018 and level 2 maintenance from time of purchase with current owner

I know the owner due to personal reasons put the plane in his shed hoping to fly again one day 

I know the aircraft instruments/ avionics all work 100%
and even in storage the plane has been started and engine maintained 

I know everything works engine , radios avionics/transponder , i know 

the strobe light is not working and needs a  globe only ,  heads sets need replacing they are  original 

plane might need a polish and some new graphic stickers if you wanted 

tyres brakes all good, I know new tyres and rims , brakes have been fitted all low hours 

it’s an older Jabiru, but an honest one

Give It 100hourly , new wing bolts from jabiru when putting back together 

Level 2 sign off  

and happy flying 

I know why it’s at auction because owner just doesn’t want to deal with time wasters and dreamers , a serious buyer will check it out bid and buy deal done 

don’t know if people commenting on forum are pilots or not 

I would suggest not taking notice of people speculating on the plane’s condition 

but a serious buyer should  book with Pickles for an inspection, see and hear it running and make their own opinion 

it has an independent inspection report attached to auction anyway by Level 2 

I know the owner has the old tyres and rims , new exhaust  sitting in his shed also

why do I know so much about the plane

because I own it 

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Re jabiru for auction 

noticed a comment on compression leak downs

The compression test was done with the condition report On 24/02/24

no problems with engine or compression 

thanks 

15 minutes ago, Balaam said:

Re jabiru for auction 

noticed a comment on compression leak downs

The compression test was done with the condition report On 24/02/24

no problems with engine or compression 

thanks 

i made the comment and you answered it. before that we only knew it had leakdowns done but not how long ago, as you know early jab motors get pitted bores if left for too long without pickling or regular runups. good luck with the auction.

Thanks

its a good little plane just had family issues health 

was hoping to fly again but realistically its not going to happen 

so thus selling 

pickles sold some of my Earthmoving’s gear off last month no hassle 

Guys that know plane said it should sell 

just haven’t got time to deal with people and time wasting 

will see how I go

regards 

• Like 1

Why were the pages showing the latest logbook entries deleted from Pickles? When I first looked, they were there showing the most recent maintenance, now they're not. Or am I now looking in the wrong place?

As for "Just do a 100-hourly and fly it home", I'd want a serious look at that NLG leg before I'd sign off on an annual among other things. It may well be just the photo angle, but that corrosion looks much deeper than just surface rust around the bolt hole.

Also, from Planesales you have: "The start time for this auction is Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 2:00pm AEST with the highest bidder determined at the close of bidding on Monday, 20 May 2024 at 6:00pm AEST."

while on the Pickles auction page itself you have "Item Not Yet Available for Sale - Check back soon - Starts 29/05/2024 02:00 PM"

just haven’t got time to deal with people and time wasting

Quite happy for Pickles to stuff around any potential buyers though, it seems....

When will people learn - Engines that are going to be in long term storage, should be  properly "pickled" not run at all/regularly.

• Agree 1

Corrosion Inhibited is the term. Running it now and then can be  "helping " it to corrode. It takes about 40 minutes air time to get a motor to  a stable operating temp. Nev

• Agree 1

I Say Again, its NOT an LSA aircraft, its a 55 registered ultralight.

Jabiru might have called it an LSA but its not. 

It was built BEFORE LSA standards were even published.  Call it what it is; and thats a 55 registered ultralight.

28 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

I Say Again, its NOT an LSA aircraft, its a 55 registered ultralight.

Jabiru might have called it an LSA but its not. 

It was built BEFORE LSA standards were even published.  Call it what it is; and thats a 55 registered ultralight.

looks like a light sport aircraft. who cares

Its like calling a Hyundai a Rolls Royce, you can call it whatever you want but its not an LSA which is all to do with certification, standards, paperwork and uses not to mention it doesnt meet LSA flight standards which might interest a newbie and then he/she finds out they cant do what they want with the aircraft.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not a LSA .

BUT

They also show a " VH PEA " Placard in the photos. 

Therefore it can be VH experimental. 

Serial 0008, after James Bond , 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !

According to the RAAus Technical Manual Section 5.1 Registration markings 10.1 - a 55 registered is a Factory Built Aeroplane under CAO class 101-55 (non-LSA). 

We also own a 55 registered.  Unfortunately, if the engine is out of hours or years and therefore "on condition" it can't be used for hire or training.  The MTOW is also a very limiting factor.  Ours can only take two people if they are under 52kg each or you leave the fuel behind.  Buyers give up when they realise that, and it doesn't go like the clappers either.  Had many inspect, only one made an offer, but hasn't come good yet.  Perhaps auction is the better way to go.

2 hours ago, FlyingVizsla said:

According to the RAAus Technical Manual Section 5.1 Registration markings 10.1 - a 55 registered is a Factory Built Aeroplane under CAO class 101-55 (non-LSA). 

We also own a 55 registered.  Unfortunately, if the engine is out of hours or years and therefore "on condition" it can't be used for hire or training.  The MTOW is also a very limiting factor.  Ours can only take two people if they are under 52kg each or you leave the fuel behind.  Buyers give up when they realise that, and it doesn't go like the clappers either.  Had many inspect, only one made an offer, but hasn't come good yet.  Perhaps auction is the better way to go.

have you ever thought about raising the mtow.   i read somewhere it can be done because stall comes in under 45 with full flaps at 544kg. the 430 was done with a clean stall.

Its a factory built "certified/accepted"   There she stays, apparently for the rest of her flying days.   

Would be good if you could do a MARAP (or whatever its called) but i think 55 rego locks you in solidly.

6 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Its a factory built "certified/accepted"   There she stays, apparently for the rest of her flying days.   

Would be good if you could do a MARAP (or whatever its called) but i think 55 rego locks you in solidly.

its been done as far as i know.   and the 55 i had ser 0003  was converted to a 912 and certified for flying training.

7 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Not a LSA .

BUT

They also show a " VH PEA " Placard in the photos. 

Therefore it can be VH experimental. 

Serial 0008, after James Bond , 

spacesailor

No, it is a factory built Jab, it cannot be registered E-AB (Either VH- or RAAus), if you want it on VH before going aviating, you're going to have to pay a LAME to maintain it. And that ain't gonna be a cheap endeavor given the sate of it.