Head protection

Has anyone tried this style of reinforced baseball cap? My Colt now has a skylight with plenty of opportunity to extract some claret from the old melon.  I don’t think I could get away with a dedicated helmet as the style of aircraft would initiate “Wan@er” calls but I should be able to get away with a toughened bb cap.

Ken

IMG_1634.jpeg

• Like 1

Good for landing into the sunset (if you must)   Have the seat set lower. You mustn't hit your head in turbulence with the seat belt tight.  Nev

• Like 2

Do some research on similar applications if you can find them. We have a good thread on here where we discussed it extending to ways of incorporating roll cages.

Most race car designs are not quite right for aircraft because they are based on front end collisions, and roll overs/end over ends at several times per second, whereas the aircraft can hit a tree head on and a helmet helps there, but the aircraft's wings slow rotation in two planes. The most common flip over of a Jab is loss of control when landing nose down or flat and running off the runway where the resul can be a nose dig on and graceful tip over the nose where that cap may well help with knocks.

The other factor in an aircraft is the need for rapid head movements to full neck capacity, where that cap would work but an open-face or full helmet wouldn't.

The cap helmet makes radio a non-issue where a full helmet needs to be extende to avoid punching a cigarette pack size hole in your skull.

All in all a lot of pluses there.

Horse riders have pretty much the same needs, so a comparison between performances might show up something to work on.

• Like 1

They are meant to stop you banging your head on hard car bits when it's up on the hoist. I used one at work after about the sixth towbar/spring shackle hit.

The downside for that use is the front visor peak, it blocks your upward view and BANG!

(and to that some say Ahhhh! That explains a lot.)

I fly with a Gallet helmet in my plane, and when backseating in Harvard or L39 with a mate.

• Like 1

I have one of these in my helmet collection.
might do the job (was bought back from Vietnam for me - where they are used as motorcycle helmets)

Bicycle Helmets,Motorcycle Helmets,Bike Scooter Half Helmet,Cycling Bicycle  Bike Motorcycle Unisex Men Women Adjustable Safety Helmet Motorcycle  Accessories | Wish

• Like 1

Just buy a quality open face helmet, no better protection and a fine field of view

And never ever strap a camera to it.

Not helmets are made the same.

How much is your brain worth?