Cheap navigation - Mio Moov and OziExplorerCE

Hi Glen.

I gave you my personal one - mainWays.wpt, and one I created from a text file MapTrax sent with some maps - allWays.wpt.

The latter is a list of most of the airfields in the country.

You should be able to save you new waypoint to any waypoint file.

I'll post the steps when I get to my device later.

You can also create more waypoints on the PC version of OziExplorer and save them to an existing waypoint file, or create a new file. Then copy that to the GPS.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Slarti,

Never mind I think I've figured it out.

There is an option for "Import waypoint from file" which can be used if the waypoint isn't reappearing after a restart.

Since the waypoint was being saved to a new file with the date it was created if was fairly straightforward.

Cheers,

Glen

"GPS" 7" issues

I solved the power plug drop out by using a 12v car socket with firewire connector - no more drop out.

The unit world perfectly - a lot more detail on screen than the smaller units.

HOWEVER

I ordered the Pure Screen anti glare film mentioned by Pud, but the unit is unreadable in any sort of sunlight. Virtually a throw away in anything but a heavily shaded environment.

Does anyone out there have skills, know anyone who could produce maybe a booster kit?

This GPS is still hundreds of dollars below the top of the line models, so even at another hundred dollars or so, it would still represent good value.

"GPS" 7" issuesThis GPS is still hundreds of dollars below the top of the line models, so even at another hundred dollars or so, it would still represent good value.

But not if we can't read it eh Turbo? I have received a sample of the 3M antiglare screen protector and just have to fit it. I'll let you know if that works out.

Pud

But not if we can't read it eh Turbo? I have received a sample of the 3M antiglare screen protector and just have to fit it. I'll let you know if that works out.Pud

Nup!!! It didn't work as well as I had hoped. I am resigned to using this GPS for ground navigation only now unless I can come up with some sort of overcover type screen filter - maybe a set of black stockings would do the trick:blush:

Pud

Fly real early mornings or real late afternoons ;)Sorry Pud - shame cause it could be a good system.

Try it on your knee board ?

Yes Tt,

Early mornings and late arvos does have an attraction not just because I'll be able to see the screen; it's just a great time of the day to fly don't you think?

It is a good system (thanks Slarti) so I will persevere for a while with it in different places - maybe the kneeboard idea will work because the reflection will be coming from the matt black overhead bulkhead. Mmmmm, good suggestion Tt, thanks:big_grin:

Pud

It's a total bugger those 7" units aren't bright enough.

I still highly recommend the Mio 4.3" units. The screen is always readable, but this weekend I added a sunshade visor and now it's perfect!

I picked up 2 more recently. I'm keeping one as a spare, and the other is going to a forum member.

If anyone else wants one, speak up. There's more available. I can convert them and fully load them for air (OziExplorerCE with your choice of WACs, VNCs & VTCs) or road use (MioMaps 2008), shipped to you for $320. Brand new Mio 370 with bluetooth. They have TMC (live traffic info) too.

Ian has also talked to Mio about Clear Prop becoming a distributor, and this isn't far away either.

Turbs, I've been looking hard for a software setting which changes the screen brightness. I can't find it yet, but i strongly suspect it's in there somewhere. They might have it down by default to extend battery life, but a simple text edit might turn it up. Have a good poke around and carefully try editing any likely looking setting you can find in .cfg or .ini files (back them up first). I don't have one to play with.

Hi all, Wondering why you can't add a sunshade visor to the 7" one given they are successful on the smaller one.

Regards Bill

G'day Bill,

I had a go with a temporary sunvisor made from some matt black cardboard without the slightest bit of difference that I could detect. The reason for that is that its not so much direct sunlight on the screen its that the screen is a highly reflective mirror which will reflect back to you things such as your shirt (tried dark colours but there is still light from dark colour shirts as well), the dashboard, your face. Anything really that reflects light. I reckon increasing the backlight will only have limited effect (I so hope I'm wrong on this) and the answer, if there is one is to somehow diffuse the light going to the screen. That's why I was working on the screen protector line of thinking - didn't work though:sad: I know there are mesh type screen filters available for computer monitors so I'm going to investigate this avenue, hence my comment regarding stockings a few posts ago. I don't know how one of these type screens would effect the touch screen though. I'll keep trying like Turbo, Slarti and Tt are, hopefully one of us will find a solution.

Cheers,

Pud

I remember using Visionclear on a TV several years ago and it was quite successful for glare reduction. Vision Clear AustraliaJust a thought. Incidentally my son is experiencing the same problem with one of these 7" units on his motor bike, so might suggest same to him.

Cheers

Dexter

Hey Dexter!!!,

That fits in with my theory so I emailed them from your link. Lets see what happens.

Pud

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to my post #191, the replacement (for the one I corrupted) automotive SD card arrive last week and I'm now easily switching back and forth between Road and Aviation modes by switching cards and changing the target GPS .exe file , which is an extremely simple matter.:thumb_up:

I placed a link to the eBay item in post #181 for the GPS I bought.

Pud, if that spray on film works, we might all be queueing up for a bit to enhance our littler ones too.

Cheers,

Glen

Yeh well I hate to get your hopes up then shoot you down but it ain't gonna fly. The owner replied to me saying the product was unsuitable for GPS and he would not entertain the idea of me trying it out. I virtually dropped the idea after that and I'm hoping the guys on the bacl light track will have more success.

Pud

hey slarti are you still doing the gps set ups for people?

im very keen on getting a unit around the 5" size for flights around WA.

getting close to PPL flight test and would love to have something as a back up with a selection of ALA's ready to go for when im licensed.

If you are still doing this I am very keen on purchasing one from you.

let us know either way.

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay.

I have a Mio Moov 370 ready to go. After Pud and Turbo's experience with the cheap chinese units (inadequate screen brightness) I'm reluctant to try any more of them. I highly recommend the Mios. I have 2 in my flight bag now. I use the 370 all the time, and have the 300 as backup. Screen is 4.3", but perfectly readable. Ideal size I think.

Would you like it? This one would be about $320 by the time I install OziExplorer and buy maps. They retail for just car use at more than that.

Let me know.

Ross

I can attest to the MIO 370 from Slarti, it is an absolutely outstanding unit touch screen colour the ability to switch between automotive and air it is the best money I have spent, I was tossing up buying a garmin 96 and boy I am glad that I didn't. For anyone thinking of purchasing one of these of Slarti, go for it they are great value for money. thanks again Ross and it was great to meet you finally at Wings over the Illawarra.