So: Slarti,

I've met her, and the guy who taught me to fly powered was taught by her.

I don't have much to do with her, except to occaisonally have to watch for aircraft you would swear were departing the area, but are actually in circuit. You pretty much need an XC endorsement to fly the circuits she teaches.

I've met her, and the guy who taught me to fly powered was taught by her.I don't have much to do with her, except to occaisonally have to watch for aircraft you would swear were departing the area, but are actually in circuit. You pretty much need an XC endorsement to fly the circuits she teaches.

thats what drives me nuts at Bankstown, all the PPl students flying 5 to 10 mile circuits!

I don't think she's a member here, but plenty of her students are.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss it with her.

In my opinion, it's dangerous for 2 main reasons.

1. People appear in the circuit where you don't expect them to be, or when you look for them after their call you can't see them where you expect them - therefore putting me at greater risk.

2. I like the idea of circuits being made within gliding distance of the field. If I have to conform to their circuit because I'm following and would overtake them otherwise, it takes me further away than I want to be - therefore putting me at greater risk.

See? It's all about me. What a selfish :csm:

Er, um, I don't think we should have that smily Ian.

Let's all sit around :kumbaya:and :FeelGood:077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif:killen:.

pope.gif.f606ef85899745c40c103dff0622d758.gif me for I have :stirring pot:.

Starti, i fully agree with the cct thing... but dont agree with the smilie thing... lol..we NEED that smiley...

seriously, big cct's do 1 thing and 1 thing only...they take longer to do.... more time required to get someone going... im sure we can all see where this is going....;)

big cct's do 1 thing and 1 thing only...they take longer to do.... )

which = more money!! There's a method in their madness! (just speculating:ah_oh:)

I can't understand some of the people in Twmba as well, by the time they turn finals, it just about needs a distance call as well, seriously they literally go for miles! (not sure who, but I've noticed it, and it is somewhat noticeable!)

I was taught, and fully agree that a circuit should be gliding distance from the strip... Also a circuit is really there to help the pilot work out what it's like down on the ground... Ie, watching the wind sock for thermals etc... If your such a long way from the strip, then it's gonna be hard to see what it's doing hey?!

Anyway stop winging:musicboohoo:

I was taught, and fully agree that a circuit should be gliding distance from the strip... :musicboohoo:

When doing circuits,I always taught ,gliding distance to the strip also.

Unless there are reasons for doing long extended circuits,the shortest circuit gives the most circuits for any given period of time and therefore the most practise to the student and that`s what the main objective should be.

Frank.

Depends what you're flying.A C150 turning onto crosswind at 500' agl on a summers day,2 up,will take quite a while to reach 1000' agl.It will take a lot longer if you took off with a crosswind that became a tailwind when you turned onto the crosswind leg.You may easily find yourself 3 or more NM from the airfield with a stiff headwind to get back to it (you may not glide that far if the engine stops).So in this case you can't really fly any tighter circuit (legally anyway).

In defence of Teraya, She taught me to fly. I dont have a problem with the size of the circuit she teaches. There is one pilot at Goulburn that hires Teraya's aircraft that seems to do an extended cross country in the circuit but Teraya has taught me standard circuits. The proof being that engine out tests are performed from anywhere in the circuit and a runway landing made safely. I have found Teraya to be fair, considerate and a very good teacher. I have never felt that she was extending things just for the money.

Yea, fair enuff... if you can glide back to the strip in a gazelle then the cct's musn't be too big...i have never flown with this particular lady, what i was referring to was cct's ive seen elsewhere done by other schools.... Miss Miller has an exellent reputation and if i infered any differnent i didn't mean it.. i was simply pointing out what i have seen other schools do...

Skyhog.. im afraid i dont agree with your rationale re the cct size, the only thing dictating distance out is the 500 ft turn onto xwind, the rest is up to the pilot, if you have taken some time to climb to 500 ft (eg, c152 or j160) there is nothing stopping you turning downwind at your earliest conveniance.. infact an early turn would be prudent if an extended upwind was a nessecity dictated by climb performance..Theres nothing saying you have to be at 1000 ft before turning downwind..it shouldnt affect your distance out form the strip at all accept for the initial leg...

cheers

last week at bankstown, 2 aircraft in front of us in the circuit were blasted by the tower for breaching sydney control zone! tower directed us to turn base early as possible, and in the tecam at 50 kts, that can be close, we went from number 3 behind a cessna and cherokee, to number 1! and still flew a normal circuit. the 2 aircraft we overtook were 6 miles east when they turned base! saddest part was, both had instructors on board..so is Teraya single?

I'm another of Teraya's students, and I think my circuits are fairly normal sized - certainly the engine failure scenario that robinsm is talking about works out fine. The only time I've had trouble with it is in my early stages of practicing it and got a little bit far out following the Cessna in front, who was on one of those huuuuuuuge circuits that slarti was talking about.

I'm fairly certain she'd welcome a conversation about it though slarti...

Skyhog.. im afraid i dont agree with your rationale re the cct size, the only thing dictating distance out is the 500 ft turn onto xwind, the rest is up to the pilot, if you have taken some time to climb to 500 ft (eg, c152 or j160) there is nothing stopping you turning downwind at your earliest conveniance.. infact an early turn would be prudent if an extended upwind was a nessecity dictated by climb performance..Theres nothing saying you have to be at 1000 ft before turning downwind..it shouldnt affect your distance out form the strip at all accept for the initial leg...cheers

Merv you're right to say that mate, it's not illegal to turn downwind before 1000'.Maybe it's more of an airmanship/safety issue. I wouldn't like to be in a circuit with several other aircraft whilst I was still climbing on downwind and someone could also be on downwind already at 1000'. I'm not having a go at you but it could happen. Sometimes people don't talk or say the wrong thing on the radio. Several times into Bankstown we have reported at Prospect (NE corner) only to have another aircraft make the same call immediately after. When they become visual (if not already) they are nowhere near the reporting point. They are just trying to cut the corner and push in I guess. Cheers.

Sain and Maynard - glad to hear she taught good circuits to you guys. Maybe I have the wrong end of the pineapple and it isn't her propogating the wide circuits at YGLB.

As I said, she taught my instructor to fly, and I have the utmost respect for Adrian. She can't be bad.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

You guys need to keep in mind that a lot of pilots in Goulburn are older guys who are coming into aviation for the first time at the age of 55 or such or who are retired and will not be rushed. No offence intended to the old timers out there. Many of these guys travel from Sydney and Canberra specifically to avoid the extra pressure. They will do everything by the book and failing a specific law stating exactly how a circuit must be flown they will do as they please.

My father is learning to fly there and often wondered in his first few hours whether he's lining up to land on the freeway instead of the airport. I know from first hand evidence that he cannot be rushed in any way however.

The patience that Teraya possesses in teaching guys like Dad to fly is nothing short of amazing. Watching him improve in his own time with slight nudges in the right direction has been very rewarding. He seems to have loved every moment also.

We're a relaxed bunch at Goulburn who find joy in flying. Why on earth would we want to rush things?

That'sthe sort of pilot I like. One who can't be rushed, unlike the pilot who can be rushed he is less likely to make a snap decision which is not the correct one.

(Gee it's gone a bit off topic, but anyway....)

However 68volsky,

If YGLB is going to be closed, that is very "wrong".

For people living in Canberra: You can always go to Cooma.