So who went to Natfly & NatFly Reports?

Hi Ian,

Last year and the year before that while in your tent at Narromine, I watched many aviation related people come and go. They would have seen the banner, looked through the stock for a bargain, and wandered off. I wondered what impression those with no prprior knowledge of Recreational Flying thought, and what they learned. My guess is that most of them thought your setup was an e-shop with an associated website for sprucing your wares. I wonder how many realised it was really a website with an Australia wide (and some international) community, enjoying a common bond of aviation- with a wealth of information at their fingertips, partly supported by the shop.

Mostly what a person sees in your tent is the shop. There is little to draw the attendee’s attention to the website, and the wealth of community interaction and information it contains. Hence my earlier post suggesting a screen, projector, and a laptop displaying the website. From your response, regarding the lack of a spare laptop etc, I gather you are fully occupied with other things, so I decided to look and see what I could do.

I cannot source a projector – and if I had one, I would be reluctant to power it from a generator. But I can do the next best thing. I took a screenshot of the home page and printed it out one of the bigger colour printers at work. I have also printed out a few other pages A3 size. If you like, I am prepared to put these together on a cardboard backing, or on a large piece of plywood for a free-standing display. I am driving to Temora on Thursday, so I can bring this and anything else you cannot fit in. So, please let me know if you want me to make up the display, and how you want it made up.

Jack. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gifquestion.gif.3fab79942766b9e477be0b131a0a3b3b.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack

THANK YOU, THANK YOU AND THANK YOU

I just have pamphlets which i also put up in the shower block etc plus I tell everyone that comes in what the shop is for and then explain about this site.

At Avalon I had a powered site so I was able to have my PC there rolling through a power point presentation of the site but with only one laptop I can't have one doing the same at NatFly.

With having chairs and tables for you all to sit around having a coffee, meeting each other face to face and using the spot as a base and to watch what is going on also helps to get the word out. Oh, not to mention my 8 year old son who will be there walking around handing out pamphlets and taking photos could be a help...I think ;)

Unfortunately Corrine won't be able to make it this year to apply her beauty therapy to you all old and ragged faces 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif as she has to stay home to look after my mum but my father will be there as always.

Thank you so much Jack for your so very kind offer 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Already been to Temora today - for the FTFs meeting. Flew back to Bathurst tonight and taking others back down there tomorrow and Saturday. It is huge! The facilities are just great and the organisation superb - and weather perfect: 25oC and near nil wind.

C U there!!

A nice thought Jack and your kindness is obviously appreciated.

Thats what helps to make these forums what they are.

Enjoyed chatting to you at Natfly last year sheltering from the rain in Ians tent, and once briefly at The Oaks.

Mate, don't forget to include an ad for the Titan and hang it right in the middle of the doorway.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Kind regards

Planey

You're darn tootin' it is. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif :thumb_up: 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gifLookout Temora, :ah_oh: BigPete 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif and Decca 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif are a comin' tamorra. (Friday) :thumb_up:

regrets (none) :big_grin::big_grin:

Hey Pete,

If your taking my Mate with you:question: Tell him from me, that he has to sit in the jump seat with his dials and whirlygigs, just like the good old days:big_grin:

Have a great time, and don't listen, if he says reverse thrust number three:confused:

Rgds

Planey

Guest Decca

#3 reverse

Yes Planey, BigPete & myself discussed many operational aspects of the highly advanced Jabiru 160©, including a pilot demonstration of using reverse thrust only for stopping before the first runway turnoff on the last landing.

Of course I was in the R/H seat as Check Captain, placing Pete under the highest duress possible, before he was able to pass the check flight with flying colours, by demonstrating a full flap final approach (because he paid for all of them), then on touchdown holding the nosewheel off 'til the ASI stopped reading! Thus demonstrating "reverse thrust" with just one engine operating. Never mind #3!

I chose to ignore the misdemeanor of failing to fully retract flaps prior to parking at Temora, due to a) my own misleading of the PIC into a false sense of security & b) because of the agreed unprofessional radio procedures (not to mention operational procedures) in the Temora circuit by recreational & PPL pilots alike!

But what a day we had, catching up wih the ever-increasingly busy Ian Baker, & his Dad Jack, Slartibatfast, ahlocks, Destiny Flyer, the team from Brilyn Air (Brian & Lyn), Tony Ferguson, Tomo, and his Mum Robin, who else? Hope I haven't forgotten anyone. I tried to contact Veversjg, and Watto, unfortunately they weren't responding to their mobiles. And Captain too!

As I finish a 3rd glass of Jacob's Creek Merlot (which sorry, Planey, has a screw top lid) it's time to say goodnight, I've had a big day. Thanks Pete.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thats great Decca. I'm so grateful to BigPete for giving you such a memorable day and that makes me happy. You are special to me Mate, and others on these forums, and if if anyone deserves it, you do.

Not so happy about you drinking screw -top bottles of wine though.

Next Chritsmas just expect the loan of a pair of multi-grips for the tight ones, or, bring them round to my place, as i'm always more than willing willing to help, if I can.

Sleep tight, reminising of your memorable day.

Rgds

Alan

Yes, guys, it was a day :thumb_up: great memories are made of. Had a terrific time with Derek meeting all the other NESers/forum users 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif and even young Tomo 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif (who wasn't allowed out without him Mum 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif Robin) ((That's OK though Tomo, Ian 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif still has to go out with his Dad, and he's a lot older than you 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)).

A very big thankyou 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif to Ian 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif and his extended family keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif for fostering such a brilliant "portal" for us enjoy and support each other both in our flying passion :heart: and our personal lives. A truly unique tool. :big_grin:

I'll be cryin' 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif in my beer next if I don't get off. Happy Easter to all forum members. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Especially you, Derek. :thumb_up::thumb_up:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Big Pete and Destiny, Great to hear that everybodys' keeping it safe and having a great time down there................................................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Decca

Accolades from everywhere! But the old XXXX did forget a few.

There was Biggles, Jack, "The Wiggs" (John & Sue), plus the Bar Fly Leader himself, motzartmerv. Great to meet up with you all.

Could there possibly be any more? Please remind me here if there are.

Regards, Decca.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest JRMobile

Didnt make it due various reasons but just spoke to Geoff (Captain) who is currently flying back to Wagga - positively glowing report, huge crowd, lots a planes, lots of exhibitors, great atmosphere.

Well done all concerned :thumb_up:

Oh and yes Im green with envy!!! ;)

Hurry up and post some photos please - my better half has been hassling me for news from Natfly since Thursday and I can only pass on a couple of old blogs from Flying Tigers and Temora Aero Club. I have to justify all this time I spend on the computer! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Sue (wish I was there but it was too far)

Guest David C

What a great day :thumb_up:.... Met up with Just Fred , Ian , Slarti , Wannabigplane , Snowman . Whack77 and of course not forgetting Ians Dad and Son .... I thoroughly enjoyed the day . Plenty aircraft ( 900 has been touted ) , fine flying weather and brilliant company ...what more could you ask for :big_grin:.... The RAAus should be well pleased with the effort all round ... :thumb_up: to Temora .. RA Aus kosh I saw on a sticker .... well not quite but getting there , and who knows what a few years will bring anyway ... Natfly 2011 .. pencil it in !

A Few photos

Hurry up and post some photos please - my better half has been hassling me for news from Natfly since Thursday and I can only pass on a couple of old blogs from Flying Tigers and Temora Aero Club. I have to justify all this time I spend on the computer! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gifSue (wish I was there but it was too far)

It's real difficult to get overview photos - as everything is so spread out at Temora.. But here are a couple: Me and my steed + a few a/c shots.. I'm sure others will have better ones..

1763301494_Temora-230.thumb.jpg.2b35ea0e3a30ffc5f82fe7de502fb716.jpg

1393818392_RonMTemora1.thumb.jpg.a99fa26dd7bf219f72d719d78a0ff33c.jpg

847075902_Merlin1.thumb.jpg.9ae2442d13a9dcbadd4fd9926b14f1fe.jpg

1597599184_Museum3.thumb.jpg.caeec73e96494b0ff49abfe217dae6d1.jpg

771878806_Museum4.thumb.jpg.2a67f075dab72164e696f2975156bda7.jpg

G'day! Nice to catch up with everyone and put faces to names! Had a great time for my first fly in to natfly. We departed early, well Saturday afternoon to beat weather closing in over Sydney, sadly didn't make it and am now stuck in goulburn waiting for fog and cloud to lift! So slarti, if you find a jab in front of your hangar, it's mine!

Guest David C

Here are few shots taken yesterday ...

Storm Rally

Guess What and who's ??

Foxbat on floats

One of the few "real " planes there !!

Loede P51

The Wallaby project

Hope you like these first few rushed photos ..

'10...

No rain...great

Lots of bugs...not so great

Good and extensive displays...good

Good range of talks...informative

Shortage of toilets especially for distant talks...a pressing problem

What I noted staying in town was the frequent comments from locals that they seemed to rearly want us there...not just them making money

First, i want to say that it was clear that ALOT of effort went into this event, and i want to make it clear that i am not "bagging" the event.

I just dont feel it lived up to the expectations for me personally, i was quite dissapointed. It offered little for the person who didnt join RA-AUS to travel. The event felt alot like one big car dealers yard. No "whats coming" and such that you get at other "shows"

There were lots of little things aswell i felt could be done better, and i felt that these little things would appeal to people who don't fly. It could get them in and say "this is what RA-Aus has to offer, and yes you too can do it"

I will keep comments to myself, as ohers enjoyed it, and it was Fun camping and speaking to new people and looking around. The town was welcoming, and the forums were informative.

Again, i am not saying it was bad, just not aimed at me i guess.

Let the flamming commence :black_eye:

Howdy.

Just got back. After a slight hickup ( neither engine would start...grrrr) had a good trip back.

Was a good turnout I reckon. Facility's are great at Ytem. Lots to see.

The beer was way to expensive. Thats my only gripe. ;).

Was great to catch up with a few of you. Tomo is still there with his lovely mother. He spent the day doing joyrides (not official ones of course) yesterday.

Was great to see my old mate Decca (the warhorse) poking around.:thumb_up:.

They even let Ahlocks in. He must have been in disguise, i swear i saw posters up evrywhere, "Warning, refuse entry to this man. Considered armed and dangerous with terrible punns"

Gotta go lie down now... Im getting to old to be leader of the barfly's..:yuk:..

ps. I wonder if next year they could arrange a flying day to correspond with Natfly, would have loved to see the old spitty and trojan blatting around..

cheers

how did you find the trip home merv?we left saturday afternoon and couldnt make it over bowral due to cloud on ground so had to land at goulburn. even this morning cloud was 500 ft agl. i am back in syd now but had to leave the jab at goulburn keeping slarti company? did you make it back to camden? or down towards jaspers?

Yea Rob. No problems. Flight levels save heaps of wx dodging. Was watching it build up to the south east, a few showers around, but not too bad. Reckon if we'd left any later we would have been in some strife though.

i have just returned after a 5hr drive from Temora. i enjoyed it very much taking over 300 photos. my family didn't enjoy it as much although they did appreciate the non-aviation events such as the free movie during the day and the aviator museum. they left me there on my own to photograph and drool.

i was expecting more flying opportunities and cheap TIFs. i only saw a handful - gyro TIF and a Foxbat TIF from SRFS. How much they charged i wasn't sure. oh there was an Evektor but at $205 was a bit dear for me.

i was also expecting more shops

selling cheaper items but alas not much selection nor much discounts.

i also noticed the sales people were generally more accommodating of the "mature" looking customers. but i can understand that as they are the ones more likely to buy planes. but i sure do appreciate a little more attention. oh well...

i probably wont go again next year unless the format changes drastically. but overall i enjoyed looking at the planes and taking photos (i stood at the runway edge for 2hrs straight snapping away).

Guest Howard Hughes

What was the P-51 replica? It says Loede, but doing a search I can only fine Loehle P-51.

My wife karen and i had a great time.We camped out for 2nights right behind tomo and ballpoints planes,great to meet them as well as ultalights, Ian,and Slati.I will try and post some photos. I reckon the ones that did not bother to go will wish they did. :thumb_up: