Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Been down to the hangar this morning. I measured what I had for the pitot and the input section is 35mm under the wing skin and the entry of the tube is 230mm from the leading edge. I have now modified it a little so it is now 50 mm away from the skin and with the white teflon tube what came off the original pitot I made it is now added onto the front of the tube which puts the entry point at 150mm from the leading edge. I have also put in 4 rivets in the original pitot tube mounts so I can make a few different types of tubes and lengths up so I can easily change them to do some testing to see what the differences are now.

A couple of pics of the extended rudder pedals as well actually installed and working

IMG_1687_2.jpg.cc7c93d314e3df815749445f13e7fedd.jpg

IMG_1688_2.jpg.6f6431e8b4e895f2c8c573c4ef683941.jpg

IMG_1699_2.jpg.c1d07412533a352c367e835d3313c3a6.jpg

IMG_1698_2.jpg.4f33252bdf71a06ae57e154e106c645a.jpg

IMG_1697_2.jpg.75e45e2d00ff99851bf5bd00fdef6036.jpg

IMG_1693_2.jpg.af7f37f5ec48330283802bd3f3b99f33.jpg

Ain't it to close to wing?. You remember this from dynon?

The Dynon Avionics AOA/Pitot probe will work correctly only when mounted in a location where the airflow over the probe is relatively undisturbed by the aircraft. In general, we recommend you mount it at least 6 inches below the wing and with the tip of the probe between 2 and 12 inches behind the leading edge of the wing. Typically, pitot probes are mounted about mid-wing span wise to minimize the effects of both the propeller and the wing tips.

The Bill Wittman article I am told says around 40mm down from the skin. Roger has his there and appears to work perfectly. I have now dropped mine from 35mm to just a bit over 50mm and also bought it more forward will see what happens with this position. I have put in a separate 4 hole mount now so I can actually easily experiment with a few probes and distances so I will see what differences it actually makes. Maybe mine was in just the wrong spot...knowing what my luck is like it was probably 2 mm from the ideal spot

Just curious, why did you mount the static on top of the fin? I don't know a lot about it, but I remember the C172 had it on the fuselage, in front of the door I think. Seems a long way to run the tube and hard to check for blockage.

The static is supposed be be out of prop wash and turbulence also everyone who had built savs said the static system that was used in them was a waste of time and didn't work well at all so I decided to put it up on top of the fin. The other reason for the Jabiru static port was everyone who has a Jab swears that it works well so I put mine on top of the fin and used theirs and to date seems to be fine

Mark

• Informative 1

Most Sav ASIs read incorrectly as most don't have a working static and unless you have a rear door catch the doors get sucked slightly open at the rear which generates quit a vacuum inside the cockpit, raising both the altitude and airspeed. I have yet to see a static which works 100%, If you find how and where to put a static vent that works -please let us know.

I could not get a static to work any better than an open vent behind the instrument panel, my ASI seems to be relatively accurate but I have 3 point door catches.

Before I changed from the original eye poker pitot mine worked fine well compared to gps readings etc but the eye poker annoyed me. I know it didn't read correctly at stall though. I want it all :)...I want accuracy at slow and fast speeds so thought I would try other versions to see how close I can get.

• Like 1

Tried my modified pitot...still not right :(...so going back to a standard one to make sure I have not got a issue somewhere else or with my static. After I did that this morning I decided to fit the new throttle cable setup. Since the pics were taken the outer of the cables has been lock wired to the termination fittings and I have to get some crimp on connectors to fit onto the ends of the wire inner cable. I had to drill out the captive nut on the throttle lever for cable to 3/32 as the new wire cable is a fair bit thicker than the original I am told it is a clutch cable outer and inner. The other thing is the special fittings I made to fit to the throttle bars is the closest I could get to the inner control rod that goes inside the cabin. This only just gives enough movement of the throttle levers and I mean JUST. This is why you will see the extra hole in the mounting plate as I had to change the angle of the cable to extract every bit of length from the cable.

I will see how this scrubs up if I don't think it is good enough I will turn up 2 new fittings that will take place of the bolts that hold the control rod to the throttle bar this will give me plenty of movement and I will just make a new plate but as far as how good the throttles work now is fantastic. no extra movement and also much stronger so you can overcome the spring if necessary. Just need to start the engine and do a carb balance and see how it goes then a rebalance of the prop and then get some more hours on her before I change out the dash

Mark

IMG_1711.JPG.eeabaf6ea8a355e65546ec26407ed723.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG.4beebc7771b9d278ad7b9c2acf558800.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG.6abf82a2ff9cc7621ff5c6d9b1ca35cc.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG.1d9f42a26ca5ed950216d883d4f5ccf6.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG.a4aa093f18fb2aa3434bf099263cbfde.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG.050cba38dba716421ae872dfbc448bf4.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG.ef89083a1af3fe80c4a524805d8af7fb.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG.e6ccbb786b2430b25329547ada8105a8.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG.57176be890f981b027ca5809527a348a.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG.af66bcb50e8f8a30533d2cf4c190e8cf.JPG

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
The site manager looks like she has it all under control

We had the mother in law up with us for the weekend and she wants to take her dog everywhere so Blackie got tested on riding on the quad...for a brain dead idiot dog he actually surprised us all he loved it.....yet my brainy cattle dog hates the quad..except when there is lightning around then he wants to get on or a ride back to the shed in a hurry.

Graham

You can just see the windsock over near the big clump of trees that divide both runways and the markers stand out well some maybe a little crooked the cattle shit them for the grass so will have to stake them in. Did you get the email sent to Val's address with some details

Mark

The new setup is a bit "agricultural" but is much more accurate at all angles of attack

"Agricultural" is good! , I like what you have done, who do I pay the royalties to when I do mine the same?

Just a few more pictures of the shed/hangar going up at the farm. Should be finished in a couple of weeks. This was last weekend[ATTACH=full]29076[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]29077[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]29078[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]29079[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]29080[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]29081[/ATTACH]

Looking good Mark! I hope the hangar erection goes well too.

I walked into our local Tilmac shed agents office recently, talked to the sales lady who has been a friend since childhood, told her I wanted to talk to her about arranging my erection. She said she usually discusses arrangements for "construction" with her clients to stop things getting awkward.

• Haha 1

We are going up there on the queens birthday weekend. Should be finished then so can get the vehicles in there and work out where I am going to put the mezzanine floor and my work bench areas in...then of course I have to wire it up. Cant wait :)

• Like 3