What`s Happening???

farri

...I have several adhesive mounting bases (for want of a better word) so I stuck one to the front, in the center of the wind-screen, about 10 inches from the top! I can see the screen and I can reach over the top to start and stop the recording...

Interesting; the camera moves a little in relation to the screen, so it must be a flexible mount. Still very smooth footage; no prop turbulence to deal with. Very nice music too- a great ad for our movement. (Just don't get too close to the fluffy white stuff.)

On 9/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, Old Koreelah said:

Interesting; the camera moves a little in relation to the screen, so it must be a flexible mount.

It is interesting because the camera can`t move so I`m assuming it was just the Drifter moving around, there was turbulence! apparently the camera does have some inbuilt stabilization so it could be the camera making adjustments.

I`ve just started using the GoPro Hero 8 Black and I`ve got a lot to learn! by the way! in the photo the camera looks much larger than it really is due to the way I took the photo! it doesn`t impair my vision at all because I`m actually looking over the top of it. Oh! it can`t come off either.20200921_170058.jpg.3ff0dddf0d4098bbf4de0527d824984c.jpg 

Edited by farri
  • Informative 1

Terrible bug this flying bug and now I`ve caught the video bug. Last Friday I was working with the excavator, here on our property, I needed a break so I went flying, shot some footage then put it together.

In the afternoon, I took up Rachel Platte and her father, who is up here for Rachel`s birthday! Rachel lives a couple of hundred meters up the road and has flown with me previously but for her father, it was his first Ultralight flight.

Just a side not! a while ago, Rachel brought a lady friend of hers here, for her first Ultralight flight! the lady was so impressed that she said she was going to learn to fly a Drifter so I gave her the information she needed! last Friday, Rachel told me the lady is now taking flying lessons, up in Darwin, where she lives.

Franco.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1
  • More 1

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly do some landings on my North-South strip to maintain my ability, this was yesterday...Keep in mind, I`m flying over my own property and I only do it solo.

Franco.

Edited by farri
typo
  • Like 3

On the weekend these guys turned up to see what Drifter flying is all about, so I showed them! I don`t know why the video screen is black but footage is there once you start it.

Jimmy (Large).JPG

Jayden.JPG

Domonic. (Large).JPG

Edited by farri
Add a comment about the black video screen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All`s well at Deeral! no Kovid-19 up here! I`m still flying once a week on average, people still asking me to take them Drifter flying, so I do! life`s good at Deeral.

One of my recent solo flights to the Atherton Tablelands, I did this one a couple of weeks ago and another one since and I`ll post that one also, if anyone want`s to see it....Franco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qNcipV3e4&feature=youtu.be

• Like 9

The old and the new.... Yesterday I met and got to nurse our nine day old Great-Grand-Daughter, Sadie Jayne Cheetham, for the first time. Our Grand-Son, Matthew Cheetham and his wife Keah also have a son, four year old Nate, so now Nate has a sister and Frances and I have five Great-Grand-Daughters and three Great-Grand-Sons...Franco

1266936823_oldnew1.thumb.jpg.97a945fb952baf6fc3b2129ad72f6c68.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

Anyone had 582 carby icing? Today, at 3,000 and cruise revs I had a brief engine cut (about 1/2 sec). 500 below cloud at 18deg/c. Can't think of anything else it was likely to be. When I landed there appeared to be condensation on the carb bodies.

There were all sorts of theories around about 2 strokes and icing. Short inlet manifolds help, otherwise I reckon it's still likely/possible. The worst are where the manifold is long. Volkswagens particularly are very prone to it.  "We" still get engine failures due to it and some of the "NO fault found"  on inspection may be due to it too.. Injection pretty much rules it out.. Nev

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Methusala said:

Anyone had 582 carby icing? Today, at 3,000 and cruise revs I had a brief engine cut (about 1/2 sec). 500 below cloud at 18deg/c. Can't think of anything else it was likely to be. When I landed there appeared to be condensation on the carb bodies.

I have flown my 582 thruster in all kinds of temperature and humidity and never missed a beat. The reasons I think carb ice doesn't happen in 582's are, 1 oil in fuel makes it hard for ice to stick, 2 the rotary disk valve slams shut 5 or 6 thousand times a minute only 50mm from the carb, lots of pressure pluses make it hard for ice to stick. 

I've never had icing with a 2 stroke either but that doesn't prove it can't /wont happen. With piston ported engines there's a lot of gas going backwards. The rotary disc is non symmetric and more precise. Some engines are oil injected too.. Short intake is the key I reckon..Some heat goes along it. conducted in the metal. Nev

Also, I had radio on and was listening to static from ignition. From memory ignition static ceased for the duration of engine miss. Could be something more sinister going on! i have never experienced "icing" in a 2-stroke either. Maybe a fault in the earth connection to Ducati box.

17 hours ago, Methusala said:

G`Day Don, good to see you`re still flying! I`ve had 4, 582 grey head, with a total of 2120 hrs, and don`t recall ever having carby icing! not saying it can`t happen, however,  carby icing is pretty hard to prove.

Found this for you, saved me typing it out! 

Condensation is caused by a temperature difference between a surface and humid air, effectively lowering the temperature of the surrounding air to below the vapor point. I would say that your carb is getting cold as compared to the ambient air. This could be due to the low pressure in the venturi or from the gasoline flowing through the carb which will cool the metal down (as metal is generally a great conductor of heat). I think that when the engine is on it heats up the surrounding supersaturated air (since it's very humid there) and the carb has not yet heated up, creating the condensation.

Well!, it`s still happening at Deeral.....I took two of these three lovely ladies, Drifter flying, this morning! first Ultralight flight for both of them and I think the photos say it all.

1633639451_3lovelyladies(Large).thumb.JPG.1b06225bebd324cfeedf700731d7cc86.JPG

1710629389_Deni.(Large).thumb.JPG.9d6e1085c9de99bc4650c28d179acc7d.JPG

85576039_Jahni(Large).thumb.JPG.5a2b93d414de5529e5bf67e30ce6ff42.JPG

Franco.

• Like 5