Oil for 503 drifter?

bacon

Hey guys

Im taking delivery of a maxair wb 503 drifter next friday when I get home from work( Cant wait been a long 2 weeks!!). And just want to find out what oil everyone is running in there drifters, and were they buy it from hoping to buy in 20l drums if I can

Thanks Bacon

Hey guysIm taking delivery on a maxair wb 503 drifter next friday when I get home from work( Cant wait been a long 2 weeks!!). And just want to find out what oil everyone is running in there drifters, and were they buy it from hoping to buy in 20l drums if I can

Thanks Bacon

Wal from Bert Flood (Australian Rotax agents) recommended Castrol 2TS synthetic when the old Penrite green slime became unavailable. Methinks even if you get your two stroke oil for free it would be folly not to follow manufacture's guidelines. I may be preaching to the choir but, assuming that the Drifter's donk has a fair number of hours on it already, any good quality synthetic will probably do the trick without adverse results but always keep in mind that clean fuel pre-mixed to correct ratios and carb needles set for correct burn temps are equally important as the RON of the fuel and the brand/grade of lubricant. Just a tip, if you have a connection in the motor trade who is willing to source it from the local Castrol agent in 20 litre drums (as I do), check first to see whether they hit you with a minimum order delivery charge. I unwittingly got slugged with a $20 levy for making a purchase less than $150 the first time around. I now ensure beforehand that there's enough of us in need at the airfield then buy 2 drums at a time. Have fun next week. Cheers Riley

l use Penrite Hi-per two stroke semi synthetic low smoke this was the replacement for the green sliml buy it in 20l drums though my mates shop..

skyfox1 was just looking on the internet for that oil and found a bulliten about it was just wondering if this is the oil your talking about? in the bulliten it says not for use in small ultralight aircraft.

Bacon

Not sure mate I will ask the previous owner when he drops it of Friday just want to see what everyone else is using and which seems to be the most popularBacon

I'm using Castrol Active 2T which meets the specifications from Rotax and is recommended by Bert Flood. I'm using it in a water cooled 582 blue head rotax though.

Pud

• Like 2

skyfox1 was just looking on the internet for that oil and found a bulliten about it was just wondering if this is the oil your talking about? in the bulliten it says not for use in small ultralight aircraft.Bacon

Hi Bacon as far as l know l havent heard but if there is it is most likey for legal reasons not the oil its self .

The reason they stop making the green slim {which was the best oil } some one try to sue them over it when it was used in an aircraft not sure of the details ,hi have had know problem using the penrite hi-per ..

cheers Geoff..

I now use Castrol Active 2T in my 503 - after finding out the Penrite HiPer 2 stroke wasn't available in the 20l drums anymore. Had to drain the fuel tank (whilst doing a minor service incl. changing spark plugs) to ensure that there would be no problems with oil incompatibility.

Castrol Activ 2T for me as well. My old engine was run on the Castrol Power 1TTS synthetic and as mentioned those who know better than me recommended the mineral Activ 2T because it offers better 'non-use' protection... it is also half the price of the synthetic and easily available almost anywhere you may travel...

I have been using the Castrol 2TS synthetic in my trike with a Rotax 503 engine since the Penrrite became unavailable seems to be ok But is expensive am interested to hear more abouyt this other oil some of you are mentioning ie Active T2 especially if it is much cheaper?

Information on oils the uses and types depends who we talk to bit like "Holden or Ford".

I spoke to Castrol because I was using Castrol 2T Active and mixing it with the fuel, for 582 Rotax.

However I spoke to Castrol and I was told to use Castrol 2T self mixing because Castrol 2T Active is for oil injection.

Get their print outs(Google) on their oils there is a lot of useful information in them.

The other good idea to do you sums, I find it a bit cheaper to buy 5 x 4lts than a 20lt as the 4lts do come on "specials" ocasionaly.

Regards,

Keith Page.

OK... I have to say it.... HUH? blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif What locations are you in and what are the correct names of the oil ... So far we have Castrol 2T, Castrol 2T self mix, Castrol 2TS, and the Castrol Active 2T.

As I understand it different countries have different names: In Australia there is the mineral based Castrol Activ 2T (Dark Red), In UK they call it ActEvo 2T, In USA they seem to call this just 2T. So 2T, ActEvo 2T are Activ 2T are, I believe, the same...??? Castrols Mineral based 2 stroke offering (there are still other Castrol products that have similar names that are synthetic mineral combos). The Castrol 2T self mix appears to be a legacy product in Australia? Pitched at lawnmowers and garden tools rather than liquid cooled engines.

Then the new 'Power" range which here in Australia is the synthetic 'Castrol Power 1TTS' (blue) and seems to be called 'Castrol Power 1 Racing' in the UK and 'Castrol Power RS TTS' in the US.

Castrol Activ 2T wins the straw poll 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

The only company that have actually tested and are prepared to come out and state that their two-stroke oil is specifically suitable for aircraft (to my knowledge) is Pennzoil. USA. Whether you can readily get it in australia I don't know.

If I was still flying a two stroke I would use Valvoline RACING two stroke (which is still mineral oil formulated with the storage advantages that that kind of oil has). It's a consistent product at the top of that companies quality range. The kind of oil that is sold for lawn mowers etc I would not use, because it is at the cheaper end of the market and why would a cmpany sell their best product at a really low price, nor would I consider the top synthetics to be justified . I've pulled a lot of two stroke motors down over the years. The biggest concern is carbon formation under the top ring. If that happens to any degree the ring will eventually break and catch in the exhaust port. The temperature the piston runs at (fuel/air ratios and load) and the oil quality affect this. . It's pretty difficult fot an individual to really know if an oil is working well with just one engine but if you have a few contacts and keep you ear to the ground it helps. With two-strokes today you are a bit on your own. Nev

• 2 months later...

Hi

I see in the march edition of sport pilot shell has an ad for a new 2 stroke oil they are selling called " Aeroshell oil sport plus 2" it has been devolped for the ultralight 2 stroke market. Might be a better alternative to all the oil mentioned above I've just bought 4 litres of castrol active 2t so once thats gone I'm gonna try the new stuff. Has anyone had a chance to try it yet

Jamie

HiI see in the march edition of sport pilot shell has an ad for a new 2 stroke oil they are selling called " Aeroshell oil sport plus 2" it has been devolped for the ultralight 2 stroke market. Might be a better alternative to all the oil mentioned above I've just bought 4 litres of castrol active 2t so once thats gone I'm gonna try the new stuff. Has anyone had a chance to try it yet

Jamie

I noticed that too bacon. I have a heap of Active 2T so I'll be sticking with that I think. Possibly try the new Shell oil after the guinea pig....errr Jamie, trys it out first:peepwall:

Pud

• Like 1

Saw the add and had a look around... the intramanet doesn't provide a very good list of suppliers. Best I can ascertain price is around $12/l which makes more expensive than Activ 2T and it appears unlikely you could just grab some from any old garage in every other town if you needed some while out XC, though they say it is not problem mixing with any other oil.