Near catastrophe in the last flight of a German military aircraft

Admin

On the airfield Ballenstedt in Saxony-Anhalt came on Tuesday nearly a fatal accident. Nearly 1,000 people had, according to a report in the "Bild" newspaper gathered to the arrival of a decommissioned by the army transport aircraft of the type C-160 Transall attend, which was intended for the air museum Wernigerode. The aircraft touched down at about 11 clock on the landing, however, the approach became obviously too low. Shortly after the twin-engine transport aircraft touched down first with the main landing gear on a road that runs across the runway. Finally, the pilot still managed to maneuver their aircraft on the runway and there to a standstill, however, show photos that were published of "image" as well as a video that the machine missed some onlookers by only a few meters.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs
It took a while to work out just how close to a disaster this landing was...The last angle you can really see he seemed to touch the mains quite solidly on the road before the strip... An amazing save.

Hmmm not too sure about Save...that would infer the pilot did something to avert disaster......In this case I think he was more passenger than pilot!!!

Guest Maj Millard

Pretty obvious he has miss-judge the height of the little rise that the road sits on, looks like he's touched the mains just on the other side of the rise, and bounced across. Yes very lucky there were no cars or people right under the approach path. Not a real impresive last landing for that aircraft !.......I almost did the same once landing at a friends small country strip which I usually landed at in my Drifter. Just back from the boundry-fence I suddenly realised that I was not in the Drifter, but in a Slepcev Storch with main wheels that hung much lower below the pilot. (especially in flight !) Would have been a much more spectactular arrival had I hung the Storch gear on that fence !!!!.....................................033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

Pretty obvious he has miss-judge the height of the little rise that the road sits on, looks like he's touched the mains just on the other side of the rise, and bounced across. Yes very lucky there were no cars or people right under the approach path. Not a real impresive last landing for that aircraft !.......I almost did the same once landing at a friends small country strip which I usually landed at in my Drifter. Just back from the boundry-fence I suddenly realised that I was not in the Drifter, but in a Slepcev Storch with main wheels that hung much lower below the pilot. (especially in flight !) Would have been a much more spectactular arrival had I hung the Storch gear on that fence !!!!.....................................033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif

1319036410_slepcevstorch.jpg.f69e1af074dbce10a9ee25b828439eda.jpg

No doubt about it. Those Storches have a r-e-a-l-l-y long undercarriage as can be seen in the picture above.

Guest Maj Millard

It's long on the ground, plus it hangs down another foot in fight !!...........problem was I flew into this strip all the time in my Drifter, and always snuck it in right across that fence, as the strip was not that long. The length was less of a drama in the Storch but I simply forgot I was in one, until the fence came up !............would certainly have been 'pilot error' had I hit it....my only defence is that I was hoping in and out of a lot of different aircraft at the time, and not many with gear like the storch...............................................................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif112_im_stupid.gif.235c6602d589883b543a8ad3d313ca3c.gif

• 2 months later...

German C160 making its final landing to be retired... Hundreds of spectators and plane spotters came to see the final farewell landing... However the pilot lost site of the runway on finals a landed on a road just before the airstrip and bounced off the road and landed 30 meters further along on the runway with a then 'normal landing!

Note how close the props got to two plane spotters!!! and others. Bet the pilot will remember this landing for all the wrong reasons eh!

image.jpg.b058e40f20635ccb0f9104c9d1507b3c.jpg

image.jpg.dd62550660819d732e04cb66d5d42dcc.jpg

image.jpg.1b74c5423482b9be0bb8dfbe3fd3387d.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Well using the language of WW1 German pilots " It was a womans' landing'....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif