The Diary of Jack Flyer

flyerme

Been talking about this very thing,ie: e-book. it was discussed I should do a self published E-book to cut out the middle man but I would still like to see it in a real book form.. your opinions please!

Do both!

Plus a movie:)

H

• Like 2

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father self-published a book about his life, cost him about $3,000 for a print of 200 copies (with free editing) - obviously it gets cheaper per book the more you print. Of course then you have to do publicity, marketing etc. Mostly family members & friends bought the book and he gave a lot of them away, so

didn't make anything from it.

Personally I like e-books, my wife & I bought Kindles and cleared boxes of books out of our shed. Quick and easy to buy & download from Amazon. However a lot of people say they couldn't give up the feel of a paper book. My limited understanding of it is it's rarer than rocking-horse droppings for a first-time author to get picked up by a publishing house for a book deal, as they are generally risk-averse. So you can spend the money to self publish a real book or not spend the money and publish in E-book form - honestly don't know which way is better. Can you do both?

• Like 1

Ebooks are the future & easy to produce from original electronic word processing, even a PDF version.

Much cheaper to produce I would imagine. Amazon could give you worldwide coverage.

Published books have a place but the audience is limited these days ( though not for your real target audience in this case)

unless you sell at NATFLY :) & I would think more expensive to do.

Do both if finances allow, guess you have some research to do.

I still think it would make a great Aussie movie, comedy, personal emotions, adventure, fun, history of ultralights.... Perfect recipe for a great family movie.

Whatever happens I hope you benifit from your story

Cheers

H

• Like 1

Guest nunans

If you want to get a paper copy of your book printed without the expensive minimum order quantities etc, then LULU is the answer!!

once you do the publish (more of an upload) then anybody can order a copy to be printed or you can buy a box full and sell them at natfly etc.

Just for you information if you didn't already know about it.

I think that an e book would be good but I think your story is good enough to be published in the normal way, find an editor get it the best it can be and then I would guess you would then send it to different publishing companies, I think it's a great story and it is worth the effort, I really see it as the only real way to make good money out of your efforts.

Maybe you could go in other directions if no one picks it up, but imagine if it is a success, I could see a movie then...can I be an extra???

David

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just saw this thread and although a little old, I might have some input.

I have been traditionally published previously and this year ventured down the eBook road. Without doubt, both have very strong cases on all manner of items from content control to distribution and marketing.

Similarly, readers often have their preference, be it an eBook or a print version.

I do think that an eBook is an effective way to test the waters. At a reasonable level of cost, the eBook can launch on the Amazon marketplace and various other distributors such as iTunes.From there, the title's success may provide a very good indicator whether publishing a print copy is a viable option. Furthermore, the eBook can provide a wonderful 'pitch' to a print publisher.

My first eBook, '50 Tales of Flight' went down this road. I launched it in February and it has consistently ranked very highly on Amazon in aviation titles, even spending time at number one in aviation. The upshot is that it has proved a success and I am sure that a print version is now in its future. In the meantime, I'll write and publish another eBook.

In summary, not everyone likes eBooks; that's their choice. However, devices such as the iPad has made eBooks far user-friendly. What they do permit the author to do is self-publish a title at a relatively low cost and thereby releasing the story from a solitary hard drive, even if only for family and friends.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Owen

• Informative 2

• 4 months later...

My wife has had 2 books published and the biggest problem turned out to be finding a proof reader that could actually proof read. Mistakes still got through after 3 readings.

No it was not me, in case you're thinking.

• 1 month later...
Hi,I just saw this thread and although a little old, I might have some input.

I have been traditionally published previously and this year ventured down the eBook road. Without doubt, both have very strong cases on all manner of items from content control to distribution and marketing.

Similarly, readers often have their preference, be it an eBook or a print version.

I do think that an eBook is an effective way to test the waters. At a reasonable level of cost, the eBook can launch on the Amazon marketplace and various other distributors such as iTunes.From there, the title's success may provide a very good indicator whether publishing a print copy is a viable option. Furthermore, the eBook can provide a wonderful 'pitch' to a print publisher.

My first eBook, '50 Tales of Flight' went down this road. I launched it in February and it has consistently ranked very highly on Amazon in aviation titles, even spending time at number one in aviation. The upshot is that it has proved a success and I am sure that a print version is now in its future. In the meantime, I'll write and publish another eBook.

In summary, not everyone likes eBooks; that's their choice. However, devices such as the iPad has made eBooks far user-friendly. What they do permit the author to do is self-publish a title at a relatively low cost and thereby releasing the story from a solitary hard drive, even if only for family and friends.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Owen

Well I just finished Owen's '50 Tales of Flight'. It's not that I'm a slow reader it's just that because it is a series of unconnected short stories I found it ideal to have on my smartphone and read it at times when I was waiting for a meeting, in traffic jams or similar.

I must say I enjoyed the stories immensely and recommend it to anyone. I think the ebook aspect is great because it was inexpensive (about $3) and since I always have my phone it meant I always had it to read when I was unexpectedly left with little else to do, and that wouldn't have been the case with a print version.

Three bucks very well spent, thanks Owen! Have you finished the next one yet?

All that said, it isn't a patch on Jack Flyer's awesome diary, so come on Jack, we're getting withdrawal symptoms .... 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif 100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

I'm sure that some here will be able to pic it to bits(spelling thread),but how about another chapter?

That's what makes it all the more believable. I've not read this thread before this morning but will from now on. Come Jack, next chapter please.

JUST A QUICK ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chapter 14

"Charlie's Lesson"

Jan 22 1983

We were woken early (3am)to the sound of a vehicle and were surprised to see Tommy out so early? After a quick cuppa and by the light of the fire we all set about assembleing Tommy's new toy and by 9am he was ready to test her out..Tommy pacticed some taxing in followed by some fast runs skimming the sand and after only 20 mins was soon airborne.

He threw the beast around like a rag doll diving and alike with his pod swinging wildly (show off ,I couldnt help but jump on the radio and comment" watch that wire Tommy!).

He was soon back down with a smile ear to ear and a big thumbs up..

By 10am we were packed and ready for our short flight to Ouyen were we planned lunch.

The flight of only 18nm to Ouyen was un-eventfull(and rather boring) however there was a council member mowing along side the strip but soon stopped and left for lunch I guess.

After lunch We had decided I would lead the next leg to Pinnaroo followed by Tommy then Charlie.

I lined up the runway and noted The tractor/mower was parked about 20 meters from the middle of the runway on the left hand side, this did not worry me and I was airborne,as was Tommy well before the tractor..I began a circut followed by Tommy at around 300ft So I had a visual on Charlie.I noticed Charlie lined up off the right hand side of the runway in the not yet mowed grass? I radioed him "what ya doin ya old bugger?"Charlie repplied"bloody tractors to close so I'll just take off from here to be safe"..I watched charlie begin moving forward and within 50 meters he turned abruptly right? he then continued in a right turn completing 360 degrees before suddenly stopping in a cloud of dust back from were he started..I yelled" you alright Charlie" there was a long puase before he replied" Ya better get back here!!! upon landing we were confronted with poor old charlie in a sorry state and Brian already gone to fetch help.

. Charlie then told us what unfolded..He said without warning the plane turned a full 90 deg then lifted off the deck.It then continued in a nose high right bank and control inputs did nothing.I completed a 360 degree turn and cut power to attempt a landing but she stalled at 50 and nosed in..

A quick look over the quicksilver and Tommy and I could see the cause.As he accellerated the long grass cought his spoiler cable pulling it under the wheel causing it to engage making the plane turn to the right.

After what seemed like an eternity , the ambo's arrived and carted Charlie to hospital.. We dissmantled his broken bird and tied down mine and Tonny's birds and headed for the hospital only to be told he was tranfered to Melbourne... We were soon reunited with Charlie whome was in high spirits(proberbly the morphene?) He injuries consisted of fractured anlke,2 broken ribs,whip lash,12 stiches to thigh,and any number of bruises...poor old bugger.

Tommy and I have decided to head back to Ouyen and continue our flight to Pinnaroo on our own..should be fun!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 'Head in the Clouds',

Firstly, thanks so much for the kind words about '50 Tales of Flight'.

I can now say that I have finished my "next one" and it is titled 'Solo Flight' about when I flew a Jabiru around Australia and raised funds for the RFDS. The book only went 'live' on Amazon yesterday and went to 'number one' in its category overnight. Here's the link to 'Solo Flight' http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HETIJJ4

Thanks again for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Owen

• Winner 2

• 9 months later...

I know I know , it's been some time but I have honestly been busy.

This will be ( sadly for you guys )the last posted chapter. Theses cut down chapters serve purely as an insight into the book. Think of them as a long blurb!

it still remains un -edited with a nice variety of both spelling and grammer mistakes.. and on the subject anyone out there want to do a free proof read when its finalized?

Enjoy

CHAPTER 15 "charlie's new tricks"

feb 3 1983

After Dorris complaining about "family time" tommy and I were forced to trailer our girls home..

June 15 1983

the last months have been rather boring with only local flying and charlie still yet to find another bird.

although I did have a little incident the other week.

I went for a flight testing a new camera mount to my elderly grandfathers(we recently put in a small 200 meter strip over his drive.has power lines one end and 2x 50 ft trees with 80 ft gap the other end however the fisher drops in no worries)were I ussually drop in for a cuppa and hangar talk or listen to his sailing days,anyway I was just approaching when it became emencely turbulent?nothing my bird couldn't handle but non the less surprising.I was not yet committed to landing and noted his wing sock pointing 90 degrees across the narrow small strip. then like the hand of god himself I was lifted up!I killed power to idle but was still going up with the nose pointed at the ground.next I was dropping like brick with full power and nose at the sky sinking faster then the left wing was thrown up and I was pot in a 60 deg+ bank..by now i was a little sweaty to say the least and decided i'm landing this bird.NOW! I lined up the 2 trees as best I could with a crab angle that sore my left wing acting as though it was the nose of the plane and still bouncing and twisting,skidding and slipping but I was committed..as I dropped below the tree line my bird straightend up and I made it threw "the gap" (the 2x 50 foot gumtrees) I flaired over the use able 200 meters but before touch down and as the tree line was no longer the 90 degree x wind grabbed me pushing off the runway as I touched down,I completed the most perfect aircraft ballete with not a scratch on my bird...after a coffee with the old feller I found myself a lil scared to fly out.a swift kick up the backside from Pa had me back up in the air heading for home at a higher altitude in smooth air i must confess...

We have all still been dreaming about our doco and I have made new camera mounts for when it happens?can not wait!

SEP 23 1983

Charlie finally found his dream girl....An australian factory biult ultralight called a thruster T-83.

I must say for a broom stick its rather attractive..

he demistrated its flying capabilities in what can only be decribed as "death defying!"litterally.

after assembling it ,(which was very quick with its patented wing colasping design) he fired up the robin engine,also sporting a 3 blade brolga (plastic/fibreglass thingy)and was soon galloping down the strip and airborne.he climbed up to a guesstimated 1000 ft then .....The engine stopped he went into a dive and smoke began pouring from the plane.

I started screaming franticaly"pull up ,pull up..oh god no pull up"I could now here the roar of wind as he got nearer diving,smoke pouring out in a long trail and now spinning!!!I could see the enevertible end approaching now in slow motion and then.....the smoke stopped,the plane stopped spinning,the nose came up and the buzz of the high pitched 2 stroke engine could once again be herd..

I couldn,t believe it!! i dropped to my knees crouched over with tremendus emotions washing over me,,finding my self once again thanking a god I dont believe in for sparing the life of my best friend.As i sat crouched with water in my eye I realized charlie was still flying?I looked up and he was back up at 1000 ft?I stood up in disbelief as once again the engine stopped,the plane death spiralled with smoke pourring out and ,,"oh crap not again! why didnt you land charlie?why?" I screamed "god no" then like deajarvou he smoke stopped ,plane stopped spinning and leveled and engine sung again."what the heck is going on?"

he then sets up final only to skim down the runway in what looked like a 90 degree side slip?back up to x hight and he bloody loops the thing? He then does a nose down barell roll the old bugger,

to be honest i was still in shock...after more death defying aerobatics he made a perfect wheeler...

"how'd ya like that Jackie boy?

WHAT THE HELL? i thought you were bleeping dead!

"So you like my new smoke system then old mate?" You cheaky old bugger charlie you frightend the stuff on my right shoe(shit) outa me ...

Next mission = smoke system on my fisher.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I can proof read and edit (I'm volunteering). It is a diary, so there shouldn't be massive rewrites. However there may be parts that can be enhanced for clarity or reduced if it adds nothing to the narrative. You may wish to produce two editions; one unabridged (but edited) for e-release, and a pithy version for print (to save pages and therefore costs).

I did a seaman's diary which included a shipwreck in 1850, in two versions. There were lengthy periods of boredom, poetry and anecdotes, which would interest researchers and relatives, but only the shipwreck and subsequent survival, rebuilding of boats and long journey down the coast to Brisbane would interest a wider audience. This was before e-books.

Sue

• Like 1