Another engine failure

Thirsty

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wwhat sort of Mogas are you using ?

98 or 95 ? as I'm running LCH , so cooler heads .

I've had issues with mogas 98 softening fuel lines because of aromatics .

mike.

I am and the other aircraft are using Shell 98 with no issues.

I understand that some of the earlier tanks and possibly fuel lines were not suited to mogas so you would need to confirm. It is a pain having to fill up with jerry cans but it sure beats the problems and expense that were being experienced when using avgas.

• Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

See

I am puzzled. Jabiru specifically state that using mixtures of different fuel types in their engines is unsafe, and may void any engine warranty. Is there good reason to disregard this advice? See section 3.3 of JSL 007-4. http://www.jabiru.net.au/Service Bulletins/Engine files/JSL007-4_Fuel_Guidance.pdf[/quoteSeems like all mogas is a mixture of some thing or another .

Come the day when they sort this mess out .

Prolonged avgas use in jab engines seems to need a top end every 200 or so hours to keep them clean , from my personal experience ,.makes it worse if you run LCH .

Mike

Seems like all Mogas is some sort of a mixture of something or another

Come the day when they sort this mess out .

Prolonged avgas use in jab engines seems to need a top end every 200 or so hours to keep them clean , from my personal experience ,.makes it worse if you run LCH .

• Agree 1

I also vote for car petrol. No more taxying back with a lead fouled plug.

It occurs to me that current build Jab engines, if fitted with cold start kit and run on car fuel, can be declared to have finally matured for the intended purpose.

• Agree 1

The thing that stumps me about Jabiru is that you could buy a brand new factory built aircraft and be expected to set up the cooling so as to not damage the engine. This is true even for LSA where no changes are supposed to be made to the aircraft without the manufacturer's written approval.

Jabiru engines may cost less than Rotax to but but if you look at the whole of life costs over say 2,000 hours it would be hard to see that the Jab engine is cheaper or has the same availability as the Rotax.

On the question of engine failures in the air, it is fine for good pilots to boast about how they can get a plane down anywhere any time but most RA-Aus pilots are, I'm guessing, relatively low hour pilots who fly low hours each year, perhaps in the range 25 to 50 hours p.a. Chances are that they are just an average amateur pilot and that their next forced landing will be their first real one and that they could just possibly mess it up.

No pilot can guarantee that in a forced landing situation, without power, they are going to get it down and be able to walk away. There are just too many potential unseeables if you are at 300 feet and committed to a landing site. It would not be at all difficult to hit something in the grass that causes the aircraft to invert on the ground or for a large animal to invade your chosen field or to come a cropper on unseen power lines.

Yes, we should always be conscious of a potential engine failure but I don't think for one moment that it is a no worries situation or she'll be apples. Every forced landing is a potential fatality. Every mid air engine failure is also a potential fatality and should be investigated with that degree of seriousness - as if a Coroner was asking for a report.

• Agree 6

I agree, there has been a string of lucky escapes such as the latest one where a soccer field was the only possibility nearby, and another one in very bad outback country where there was an airstrip directly below the aircraft, or in quite a few others, where the pilot did a textbook job of his forced landing, but if there are enough forced landings then sooner or later someone is going to screw one up.

Like the workplace, you have to eliminate or reduce the frequency of an accident.

• Agree 2

"The thing that stumps me about Jabiru is that you could buy a brand new factory built aircraft and be expected to set up the cooling so as to not damage the engine"

Utter rubbish, although typical of hearsay.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

"The thing that stumps me about Jabiru is that you could buy a brand new factory built aircraft and be expected to set up the cooling so as to not damage the engine"Utter rubbish, although typical of hearsay.

Sorry but I had to do exactly that.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

My opinion re Jab engines is the key problem is the sale of them as fully setup factory units to be run as installed. This hands off expectation is core to many upset operators.

They all need work and adjustment, accept this and enjoy the cheaper price an risks involved

The experience to get them right and keep them going is held by a few

If your not up to the task, find a very good maintainer (didnt say L2) and work with them, not prepared to do this buy somthing else

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

I transferred from GA to LSA 4 years ago. Never had an engine failure in a GA aircraft . But 2 years into flying the LSAs , doing circuits in a J230 the engine failed , my first one ever ... Yep you guessed it .. The through bolts failed . Hmmmm . But I still went and bought one for myself . Having said that , I do a lot more praying before each flight these days lol

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1