New User. Darwin NT

RATT

Hi All.

I'm based in Darwin and looking to purchase a Jabiru 230. I work in Remote communities across the top end.

Will be looking to fly out most weeks (weather permitting)

Not totally set on the Jabiru although it's what I have been learning in.

Open to suggestions but really looking for reliability, range, cross wind capability and carrying capacity.

Thanks.

Marty.

Welcome Marty 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif Keep an eye out for old Koreela he is a fellow forumite who hails from nsw but is currently working in the territory. I can't really help you with aircraft selection as I'm not really an expert:blush:, having said that the jabs seem to have a good reputation for a nice airframe but maybe flying remotely it might be worth the extra dollars to put a Rotax up the front? (That is just my opinion and I don't mean any offence to jab)

Anyway enjoy the forum we range from crazy to insane and I'm sure you will enjoy it

• Like 1

Marty, I'd normally caution against taking too much notice of SDQDI- but this time the cheeky bugger is bang on. Sounds like you wouldn't get a better airframe than the J 230, and adding a CAMit engine should make it a very reliable machine.

Where else can you get a good solid, safe plastic aeroplane that's undergone mobs of testing - and is locally made and still heaps cheaper than the imports?

I'd love to see a STOL version of the Jab- maybe based on the J170 with a CAMit 6 and no front wheel. Then again, that would require a whole new round of development, particularly of the empennage.

The "horror stories" about Jab engine are a concern, but the vast majority have had a good run. Maybe the engine is best described as "delicate" and in need of thoughtful management. I'm quite happy with mine.

Flying over the top end at jet altitude is amazing. I'd love to get a closer look.

• Like 1

Hi All.I'm based in Darwin and looking to purchase a Jabiru 230. I work in Remote communities across the top end.

Open to suggestions but really looking for reliability, range, cross wind capability and carrying capacity.

Thanks.

Marty.

Hi Marty, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the forum where there is lots to learn and great company with fellow aircraft enthusiasts.

You say you're looking to buy a Jab 230. Are you aware there is one for sale on this forum? For further details click on: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/jabiru-j230d-for-sale.125602/

All the best!

eightyknots

• Like 1

If you want range and a solid airframe - Jabiru is just great. If you want to take off and land in short crappy strips, maybe a Savannah or Foxbat. Create a spread sheet with rows as features, columns as aircraft and do the research on the web. If you rely too much on folks here, you'll get biased opinions and in some cases lies and exaggerations. Read up on hip replacements and you'd rather spend you life in a wheel chair than have the surgery, the point being is that people post negatives about their experiences far more than the positives. By the way, Jab, being made here and of fibre is pretty quick and easy to get repaired if you put a hole in it.

• Like 2

Hi All.I'm based in Darwin and looking to purchase a Jabiru 230. I work in Remote communities across the top end.

Hi Marty

Enjoy your new skills and the passion to the utmost up there. Fantastic place to be able to use your own aircraft to get around.

I have quite a few friends up there working in the law around the communities and wish I had got myself a job back there years ago when I was young enough to be able to make a proper contribution (I've done two trips to Alice in my Auster and plan getting there again in a couple of years).

A former client and now good mate has just started the return to his homeland in the Yarunganyi Hills NW of Yuendumu this week after many years away. He has got off the grog and paid his dues and now wants to protect his country and his sacred sites while a mining operation commences its operations on a tenement there. He speaks several dialects as his father was Warlpiri while his mother was Arrente. English is his fourth language but he had a good education at the mission and enjoys reading as well as painting. His skin name is Tjabaldjarri and his great uncle was the man they called "One Pound Jimmy", one of the few survivors of what was known as the "Killing Times"...a period where white settlers and police conducted a punitive excursion into the southern Tanami after some cattle were speared. Hundreds - men,women and children - died. Jimmy, or Gwoja Tjungurrayi as he was, was also uncle of the well known artist, Clifford Tjabaldjarri Possum and he survived by hiding in the secret caves on his country until the squatters' anger had cooled.

If you are interested in the history and mythologies of the NT, Bill Harney's books are amongst the best. Especially his book To Ayres Rock and Beyond which tells all the dreamings around Uluru and Katadjuta. Let's know what you decide and what you get up to in it, won't you?

Kaz

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Hiya Marty

230's a nice bird to fly -very forgiving and excellent touring performance. But possibly not the thing for 'bush flying' if you want to get across the NT back country. Flies fast, but lands fast too. And the shopping trolley undercarriage is not ideal for the rough. Somebody above mentioned Savannah or Fox...I'm going the Cub route.

I live out out between Adelaide River and Daly River and do my check flights at MKT. Its a great club.

Welcome to the forum. Good to see other Top Enders here

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marty

Have done my flight training in the two Jabs at MKT that have been written off. After 2 engine failures in training was never comfortable again in the JABS finished my training in them but decided that as an unexperienced pilot I rather not rely on my emergency landing skills particularly in our tiger country. When I did my Navex to Yellow waters I made sure the circle was tied and I could come in on short final with the throttle all they way back. And there are plenty off spaces in the NT that are like that. But that decision is for everyone to make themselves. I made up my mind. One thing you should consider is that Avgas is not readily available in most Communities and the chances to get Mogas are generally better. Follow the threats in this forum most people don't recommend Mogas for the JAB engines.

On the other side You might get a very good bargain at the moment if You by a JAB plenty for sale.

There is allot of country that I get a little worried about in a C210 in the NT, departing some aerodromes it's allot of miles before anything survivable if you need to put it down in a hurry. I'm not a jab basher and started in them myself, but to the E/SE of DN, where it sounds like you would be flying?I wouldn't be taking a jab, auto conversion ect with any confidence.

...Avgas is not readily available in most Communities and the chances to get Mogas are generally better...

Good to hear of others up this way, Rolf. I'm working at Nhulunbuy at present and would love to fly my beast up here. But...

It would be cheaper and faster to go Qantas First Class- and I could carry more baggage and would definitely get here.

But we can still dream. Fuel availability is a big issue and getting bigger. Does anyone know how a Jab runs on Opal fuel? It's rated at 91 RON, so I guess it's a no-no.

Thanks.

Marty.

Hi Marty,. . . . . .

Looks like you'll need a Cessna 180 then ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ( oh, and one with a set of floats for the wet season ! ! ! ! ! ! ! )

( Had seven blokes in one of those once, but we WERE pissed at the time. . . . . [ don't tell CASA will you. . . .] )

Phil