AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Missing

Guest Maj Millard
It takes the pressure off the airline and perhaps reduces the compensation payouts........

The standard payout per seat in cases like this is set by the ICAO.......all part of the insurance coverage and very well explained on the back of each ticket if you can read the small print. I think it's a no- fault guarantee.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Commercial pilots don't like hearing this..but the fact is most fatalities each year in aviation are at the hands of commercial pilots.

The standard payout per seat in cases like this is set by the ICAO.......all part of the insurance coverage and very well explained on the back of each ticket if you can read the small print. I think it's a no- fault guarantee.

Was the Warsaw Convention (1933) now known as the Montreal Convention(1999) as per Wikipedea

Commercial pilots don't like hearing this..but the fact is most fatalities each year in aviation are at the hands of commercial pilots.

Most of the pilots from things similar to this aren't around to defend themselves.

• Agree 2

Pilot error is simplistic. You have no idea what happened unless you were there. Lack of appropriate training or not being cleared to divert. You don't need a clearance in an emergency. Few pilots realise this. It's your job to insist. Nev

• Agree 1

aha! But look at the hours flown for a better indication. happy days,

Yes! Actually he used the new embrace-all term 'climate change'. A useful modern explanation for anything and everything.

GNu you are going to have accept that Al Gore's book was a best seller, there has been no best selling "climate change is crap" book, the market is never wrong.

Yes! Actually he used the new embrace-all term 'climate change'. A useful modern explanation for anything and everything.

Up to the old tricks of selective , out of context quotation again. The news article piece said, in part,

AirAsia chief executive Tony Fernandes said earlier this week he had "full confidence in my fleet and crew". Without giving details, he steered blame towards the weather, saying his airline would continue business as usual, but suggesting that climate change was making weather worse and flying riskier, particularly in the tropics.

He did not blame climate change as such, but it was nice of you to put a spin on a disaster to support your own viewpoint, GG - Not a defensible position to take.

Did u see the pic of the Mode S radar output from the same article, showing an apparent 11,000 ft descent at 24,000 feet, with a ground speed of 65 knots? Seems like it was a massive downdraft that got them, but, who knows. Lets blame the pilots anyway.

Whatever the reason in this instance , there are storms that NO commercial Airliner could fly through and survive. You just don't go there. Near the Inter Tropic Convergence Zone (which roughly corresponds to the Thermal Equator) you can expect the most severe activity and also where the airmass has a higher temp and high moisture content it has much more energy.. The intensity of these storms has been increasing. Few informed people doubt that. The storms in the tropics are becoming more intense and they are occurring further from the equator than in the past. Nev

Is it really any different to the road transport industry, competitive market pushing companies to push their operators to cut corners closer and closer to the bone to stay competitive. When the wheels fall off, blame the driver.

• Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard

The violent tropical storms around the equator have always been their, and just as dangerous to fully loaded commercial aircraft, as they've ever been.

Maybe the current batch of pilots don't know fear like the previous generations did. ( ex- WW2 pilots) or maybe the current batch feel they are indestructible in the new computerised highly efficient aircraft of today, and decided to take this one on where they should have avoided it all together. Storm appears to have won this round.

Not at all a happy place to be with a fully loaded aircraft.

The current generation of pilots are probably pressured more to save costs than ever before. They are still "Master of the Vessel " at law.. Airline management being accountants rather than at the pointy end, would like it otherwise. Nev

The intensity of these storms has been increasing. Few informed people doubt that.

As Maj says the wild tropical storms have always been there. People informed by the media would think they have been increasing but in actual fact global measured weather data shows a slight decrease over the past few decades.

Seems to me the risk of flying over the Ukraine and the risk of flying over the Java Sea have turned out to be the same. A cut price carrier takes the risk and the ticket price has a high personal price. Both incidents avoidable but as the market gets more and more cut throat I think we need to prepare to see more of these avoidable incidents. Hopefully Emirates and Qantas will retain enough market share so that everyone continues to have the choice.

Hunt for the facts if you are interested Nev. No point me posting OT links here that anyone can easily find but here's one example from American Geophysical Union:

GG I believe Facthunter said

The intensity of these storms has been increasing. Few informed people doubt that. The storms in the tropics are becoming more intense and they are occurring further from the equator than in the past. Nev

GG The graph you have posted is about frequency not about intensity and in no way contradicts what Facthunter asserted.

• Agree 4

again with the distorted stats GNu?

and in no way contradicts what Facthunter asserted.

Why the hate, GG goes out of his way to put up references to fact and FH puts up nothing but his opinion.

I know which I would rather see.

• Agree 1