midair clip in India airshow

.... she says in the video " a near miss", they hit each other so that would be a hit, not a near miss.

Hey Dazza,

Gotta love the English language....047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

One meaning of "near" is "almost happening," as in "near collision of the aircraft" or "near win in the election." Applying that definition, the term "near miss" would be illogical, and the correct term would be "near hit" — a hit that almost happened but didn't.

But another meaning of "near" is "close, narrow." That's the definition behind terms such as "near relative" (a close relative), "near escape" (a narrow escape) and, "near miss." So a "near miss" is a miss that came very close to being a hit, while a "far miss" is a miss that wasn't even close.

So which should be used here? Hmmmmm - they did nearly miss, but I think you are right - it was a HIT! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Cheers,

Neil

Doesn't matter how you look at it Dazza if you hit it you didn't miss so at best it can be a near miss. If you miss, it cannot be a hit so it is a miss or a near miss. In the video they hit so it could be neither a miss nor a near miss, so it must be a hit. If you have problems with that drink a bottle of scotch because it makes perfect sense to me..

SDQDI can you ask me that question again tomorrow please. Tonight as I wait for home delivery of another bottle of scotch, it is simply to hard to consider.

In case you haven't worked it out it is going to be to wet to fly here tomorrow.

As a truckie, I do not drink through the week, as a pilot I do not drink on weekends, but this week it is to wet to fly, it is that wet that half the roads are cut, so to be honest I am Pissed. I must admit it was good scotch. And I think sobriety for me this weekend was a near miss, or was that a hit.

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

Flying statistics some years ago in UK used the term "Airmiss" to indicate two or more aircraft which has come uncomfortably close to each other in flight,. . . they changed it to "AIRPROX" . . . probably due to similar confustication . . . AND AS FOR THE MEDIA. . . .

1965035_10152773895087865_6973963384213637885_n.jpg.0407b406418febcafe2e9855646187b0.jpg

• Haha 2

Flying statistics some years ago in UK used the term "Airmiss" to indicate two or more aircraft which has come uncomfortably close to each other in flight,. . . they changed it to "AIRPROX" . . . probably due to similar confustication . . . AND AS FOR THE MEDIA. . . .[ATTACH=full]34179[/ATTACH]

That is funny, especially where the idiots thought Queensland is.

Flying statistics some years ago in UK used the term "Airmiss" to indicate two or more aircraft which has come uncomfortably close to each other in flight,. . . they changed it to "AIRPROX" . . . probably due to similar confustication . . . AND AS FOR THE MEDIA. . . .[ATTACH=full]34179[/ATTACH]

Have to educate them Queensland is a state not a town. Queenstown Tasmania. I guess if it was Queenstown Tas they would show it on NZ's south Island.

• Haha 1

Maybe they'd be easier to learn if we'd come up with slightly more imaginative names for states.

New South Wales

Victoria

Queensland

South Australia

Western Australia

Northern Territory

Good grief.

Oh, let's not forget the one with the interesting name.

That is funny, especially where the idiots thought Queensland is.

Yes Teck. . . . .

The Yanks probably thought, AAAAHHH, look at that cute Lil Queensland island, Gee, that'll Never stand a sarclone like Katreeena ! ! ! ! !

Have to educate them Queensland is a state not a town. Queenstown Tasmania. I guess if it was Queenstown Tas they would show it on NZ's south Island.

The Yanks. . . . .Bless 'em,. . . . I once told an american "Friend" on a music chatroom, that I used to live in Australia, he asked if it was hot there, and in an evil moment I told him that it was incredibly hot, and that I caught Tasmania twice, and nearly died from it. . . . It WAS honestly meant as a joke, but loads of people chipped in with sympathetic comments. . . . . . !

**Edited to add** I don't think that yer average Joe or JoAnn American is perhaps as geographically switched on as that guy who wrote the "Vacation" review I posted a few weeks ago,. . . . !