Guess This Aircraft ?

Research for this thread has been both fascinating and staggering. I am amazed at the number of manufacturers and models, which run into the thousands, and I've hardly scratched the surface. From the exotic to the bizarre, it's amazing what will fly, and what people will fly in. As I said earlier, I have concentrated on fixed wing, powered light aircraft, with the occasional military plane. In most cases, I have only chosen one model per manufacturer, even though they may have many. I have tried to avoid copies or developments of well known planes, such as the Jodel and the Cub. It also surprises me that there are many aircraft out there with no photos, at least on the database I am researching. I guess if I took note of the name and Googled them I would find photos somewhere on the net. My wife thinks I've wasted too much time looking at pictures of planes. Working through the alphabetic listing, I haven't finished the C's yet. Here is a screenprint of the aircraft I have yet to test you with, purposely shown small.

1284476068_PLANESTOCOME.JPG.3b806efb13db70542dffa3f9e3dfb0df.JPG

• Like 1

Armstrong Whitworth AW55 Apollo.

And yes, the yellow one is a Wild Thing, produced by Ultraleicht Bau International (ULBI), of Hassfurt.

TGTP024.JPG.5e36d67a0ae44e23e0709bbe635a3da9.JPG

And if you are after a Thruster photo, here is one of a Thruster that was owned by a friend of mine and hangared at Lethbridge Park. He had it up for sale, but I haven't seen him for about 6 months, so I don't know if it was sold.

783608537_PaulsThruster.JPG.0ba402cf2eb516345442e4a556969d2b.JPG

The AW55 Apollo was a competitor for the Vickers Viscount but only two were built due to ongoing engine problems. Story here:

Armstrong Whitworth Apollo - Wikipedia. The Viscount went on to be a best seller.

(Edit) More details, photos here:

Armstrong Whitworth AW55 Apollo | BAE Systems | International

Armstrong Whitworth AW55 Apollo.And yes, the yellow one is a Wild Thing, produced by Ultraleicht Bau International (ULBI), of Hassfurt.

[ATTACH=full]60926[/ATTACH]

And if you are after a Thruster photo, here is one of a Thruster that was owned by a friend of mine and hangared at Lethbridge Park. He had it up for sale, but I haven't seen him for about 6 months, so I don't know if it was sold.

[ATTACH=full]60927[/ATTACH]

ANEC II. Pretty sure that’s the one from the Shuttleworth collection.

Great place to visit - and you can even fly in

You are right again Kasper, it's the ANEC II.See my replies 982 and 086 re the airliner.

[ATTACH=full]60929[/ATTACH]

you were right about the AW55 ... but #986 is a different airliner ... half the number of engines anf three times the number of fins :-P

Now you've got me confused, kasper. The aircraft is definitely high wing, with three fins, and looks like it has two engines, but the commentary on the film calls it a HP Marathon, which is four engined.

Some more digging brought up this - the HP Mamba-Marathon. The original Marathon was piston engined, but this development had two Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turbines driving propellers, making it the third British turbo prop, before any other country had flown any.

732503928_MAMBAMARATHON.JPG.e231d4e554dec68f78d38f03cbd4f830.JPG

Now you've got me confused, kasper. The aircraft is definitely high wing, with three fins, and looks like it has two engines, but the commentary on the film calls it a HP Marathon, which is four engined.Some more digging brought up this - the HP Mamba-Marathon. The original Marathon was piston engined, but this development had two Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turbines driving propellers, making it the third British turbo prop, before any other country had flown any.

[ATTACH=full]60937[/ATTACH]

Spoil sport!

Yes its the Marathon II - the twin Mamba turboprop version of the earlier 4 piston engine aircraft. Only 1 prototype produced but it was not a conversion as an engine test bed but an actual prototype which is why I slipped it in.

Where are Kasper, derek, et al when you need them?

Can tell you where Derek is. Been away from home for a month and off to Sri Lanka now, so no access to my reference material, hence some fairly crappy guesses!

• Like 1

And kasper has a dairy and office building to complete and its a race between my building and the goats kidding ... and they will not cross their legs to accomodate if i'm a bit slow

• Like 1

I thought this one would go off quickly, in fact I tossed up whether to include it at all.

It is a Texas Bullet, aka Johnson Rocket.

This next one might be more familiar to the members of this site.

TGTP026.JPG.38de29523001f093f7e774d895baddbc.JPG

The blue and white one has a squared off fin, the Johnson Rocket photos that I can find all have a rounded fin. Makes it hard!

Edit...the Rocket was the three seater with round fin, the Bullet was a four seater with squared off fin.

The blue and white one has a squared off fin, the Johnson Rocket photos that I can find all have a rounded fin. Makes it hard!Edit...the Rocket was the three seater with round fin, the Bullet was a four seater with squared off fin.

That's correct, just that if you enter Texas Bullet in Google, it brings up an article from Plane and Pilot magazine headed Johnson Rocket/Texas Bullet. There were a number of differences - fabric covered vs all metal, different engine etc. I was looking for Texas Bullet, but would have accepted Johnson Rocket.