just another jab sortee

Russ

Geez, radio is on its way back.....fixed, looked at the upcoming weather ,

Horn Is, .......nothing but howling gales.....30 plus

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, radio is on its way back.....fixed, looked at the upcoming weather ,Horn Is, .......nothing but howling gales.....30 plus

Pretty normal in the low latitudes. Generally much less wind in the very early morning and overnight. Up there - top of Cape York in particular - when the SW blows it gets calmer as the seabreeze kicks in and opposes it. Other times if it's not a windy day it's dead calm, hot, humid and hazy, not much in between.

I find it incredible that a radio has to be re aligned ( if in fact that is what is required in this case) as I have never known this situation to happen on any radio, maybe the few 100 or so I've installed were all good. If it was an early cavity type transponder then I would understand.Reminds me of another brand Radio, the faults were always blamed on the installation, never the factory's fault - yeah right.

Most of the others work well & I see that Trig also have a new one, haven't seen one & don't know the price.

3 things I suggest are important for the enjoyment of flying.

1. Engine keeps running when you want it to.

2. Radio works.

3. Good audio - ie headsets & intercom

In the above 3 YGWYPF generally. ( you get what you pay for)

Hi Jake and Russ May be this was the problem. I got hold of this info when I had a Microair radio from Ian McPhee's site at Byron Bay.

"Microair and Becker 3201 radios have a problem with the pots (adjustor) in the side of the radio. All you need do is note position of the pot and rotate back and forward many times and this cleans the surface of the pot and bingo it works again. I usually add DeoxIT D5 electrical spray/contact cleaner. This certainly goes for above radios but may apply to many other radios including earlier Dittel"

Regards

Mike

• Informative 2

HIC.......as long as the howlers are near straight down the strip I don't mind.

Burketown gets mongrel xwinds, and only the one runway, and it's near on north/south......and the winds are easterly, blow like hell.

Horn has cross strips as you know, I don't think you'll have any problem regardless of how hard it's blowing, the air is smooth because it's coming off the seas whichever direction it's blowing.

You mentioned about seeing New Guinea - the nearest Highlands are about 250Nm north of Horn. I went out as far as Badu Island but couldn't see anything of NG, mind you it was perma-haze while I was there.

I've attached a few photos, the first two show the Cape itself, the next two heading towards Horn, then Horn airstrips, some of the cloud patches along the way, and Princess Charlotte Bay.

Crossing the really high cloud street I mentioned earlier was a little bit nerve wracking so I didn't think about photography at the time but as you can see I was still up around 9000ft to clear the later ones which were a lot narrower and much lower. That trip was in September 2005, so the weather conditions could well be quite different at this time of the year. Also I was late leaving the Cape, that photo was taken just north of Princess Charlotte Bay and it was already 12:41pm. If you get a chance to catch up with the QANTAS-link or Coastwatch crews at Horn for a chat, they're a wealth of information about conditions up there, which are quite different from further south.

I was surprised to hear what you said about only one strip at Burketown but I see from G Earth they've closed the 12/30 strip that I used to use. Later I was able to land under the powerlines on the roadside opposite the Burketown pub, but that was easier in a Jetranger than the plane of course ... and a lot shorter walk.

636789139_IMG_1444(Custom).JPG.b96aee524829924dd6ce634bbae86b53.JPG

1694886364_IMG_1420(Custom).JPG.03149214c5844037a42fafebe25ea131.JPG

1016944457_IMG_1430(Custom).JPG.fcfde053e0f38ebd5ac1be8e51e8cfea.JPG

1444009974_IMG_1431(Custom).JPG.84e35cb6d90eed8fc2f25afbf064511a.JPG

2072861151_IMG_1432(Custom).JPG.3400fc9ba59048956a2ddb852478800e.JPG

1602254302_IMG_1433(Custom).JPG.9ddcde93d738f07e72dd1d53162d9aa3.JPG

497308434_IMG_1441(Custom).JPG.277d4d6da74b16953ac2e179a3ec3182.JPG

1863676839_IMG_1443(Custom).JPG.bc93853b0b3f82c13a1a28800c2b0589.JPG

Out at my hanger this morning, helo flys in for fuel....turns out he left from way up the cape this morning, tells me ground speed 55ish.....blowing like hell, worse to come.

Might delay my trip for a week or 2.....might. ( better to be on the ground wishing you were up there.....rather than up there, wishing you were on the ground )

Russ,

I have flown to Horn albeit better forecast than you have now.

Better to delay if uncomfortable.

The get there itis should not be a priority, hope weather improves and you enjoy the trip.

Fruit not allowed at Horn or Weipa. They will usually inspect aircraft and spray for bugs.

Cheers

• Agree 1

Russ,

Dunno if you have Ozrunways, if you do there is a function to translate to plain English.

I looked up Horn earlier today, winds 12 kn at 130deg, scattered at 2000

So runway 14 would have been ideal.

Cheers

Plan is....Monday / Tuesday we're off, checked the blokes on horn, tie down cables etc are in place there. I've spoken to the man upstairs, blue skies, gentle breeze is the order......yea rite.

image.jpeg.6bab1682462f2f225ef1e652eaafe453.jpeg

A very nice Jabbie trip from YLTV to a private strip near the decommissioned Omega tower. A bbq and tunes with Daryl on uke and host Rob on bass. I think the Bose L1 Compact was made for Jabbie travel!

Laurie

image.jpeg.f53701890e7f48df5fd6a990461c5cb1.jpeg

image.jpeg.01fcb4dabc2534ae8500a9352f4531a1.jpeg

image.jpeg.775efac2ad731ed2d5489caa80bb9f21.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Winner 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted an oil return recently ( crankcase vents into cylinder, oil runs back into engine ) works a treat. Can now run higher oil levels on the long trips, engine always used to push out higher levels, and run on barely up the dipstick, I was never comfortable with this. So yes....I'm more happyerer.

Mate has been running exact same for several yrs now, alls good.

• Like 1

Russ, can I pm you for the details of your oil return?.

Bill

Maybe your question should not read Can I? as only you could answer that.

Maybe it should read May I? or even If I, would you answer?

Pedantic I know but what the hell it is starting to rub off onto me. :)

BillMaybe your question should not read Can I? as only you could answer that.

Maybe it should read May I? or even If I, would you answer?

Pedantic I know but what the hell it is starting to rub off onto me. :)

Dazza doesn't seem to be around anymore, so I suppose someone has to do it. 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Bill...you sure can. ( don't pay attention to Ol Geoff , he missed his medication today...)

Going to the hanger tomorrow ...unpack the Ol girl, shampoo etc etc, will Take pic....standby

• Like 1

Russ, can I pm you for the details of your oil return?.

Bill, they are fitted standard to new Jabiru aircraft now. I don't have one fitted to mine but as oil useage is very low I am quite happy to top up with fresh oil as needed - comes down to personal choise I guess.

Fitted an oil return recently ( crankcase vents into cylinder, oil runs back into engine ) works a treat. Can now run higher oil levels on the long trips, engine always used to push out higher levels, and run on barely up the dipstick, I was never comfortable with this. So yes....I'm more happyerer.Mate has been running exact same for several yrs now, alls good.

What do Jabiru have to say about this? My concern is that people do 'these sorts of things' and then when things go wrong Jabiru engines get blamed and CASA slaps their BS on them. We're not tinkering with hot rods and motor bikes here.

DSCF1539.JPG.c55706900c1877cb56ca2a7557e566f7.JPG Now allows me to run higher oil levels ( bit higher anyway ) on long trips/legs. Prior to this the engine would spit out oil to just on the dipstick ( it's sweet spot ) so in my view during loong legs, actual oil usage begins at the real low point, as 80..100ml has been pumped out. This worried me.....low oil in the sump.

As to "tinkering etc" as 7252 raises........maate, if i was to stick 12ply tyres on...........the reply would be in the negative from jab. ( many guys, i repeat many guys, have over the yrs changed "things" on their jab.......proven by faultless hrs of operation, and the benifits gained as well.......and jab poo poo the bloody lot )

How many times has the discussion been around of jab and their stubinous ( where's me spell check thingo ?? )to ANY changes.........the most recent jab / camit saga. ( camit have done some tweeks etc to the basic jab.........bingo, from All reports......a damn good engine. And jab won't have a bar of it.

DSCF1540.JPG.90be6ab9f51e0baef0bdda98183d4fe2.JPG

DSCF1541.JPG.88e21f1ba4e40415098840ea737533ba.JPG

Beware of returning condensate to engine oil. I'm not saying the original set up is good. Nev

spoke to a "well qualified " person re "returning oil"......absolutely not a problem here, couple of reasons.....canister and contents are near on engine core heat, at shutdown any residue retained oils would be drained back to sump while still HOT.... oils are changed at 25hr intervals.......he did mention, from time to time good housekeeping would be to remove canister and give it a good washout.

• Like 1