poly fiber

foxworker

I'm finding it almost impossible to find through a google search suppliers of Stits Poly Fiber in Australia, let alone Brisbane. I also cant find any pricing on Aircraft and Spruce catalogues. Does anyone know where I can purchase it and how much it is. I'm also unable to find suppliers of Scotchweld 2216 b/a epoxy resin glue in quart kits. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I'm finding it almost impossible to find through a google search suppliers of Stits Poly Fiber in Australia, let alone Brisbane. I also cant find any pricing on Aircraft and Spruce catalogues. Does anyone know where I can purchase it and how much it is. I'm also unable to find suppliers of Scotchweld 2216 b/a epoxy resin glue in quart kits. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Maybe try  Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation or Nigel Arnot at Boonah or Bert or Speedy at Caboolture Gliding club.  Cheers

Polyfiber agent here http://www.pilotshopwa.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=68

and Spruce agent here with with the catalogue online https://www.skyshop.com.au/COVERING.pdf

The Spruce catalogue is free, you just need to pay postage https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/sprucecatalog.php

You can download the Spruce catalog on line and in the past I have been able to view separate pages on line. Look for covering supplies.

I have found I get quicker service from Aircraft Spruce, than from any Australian supplier and it is also cheaper, even adding in the exchange rate and postage.

If I was building again I would not use Stitts. It is first class material, but over the yeears it will get damaged and it is impossible to buy small quantities for repair work. My personal preference would be to use the new German covering which is pre finished. I got some as a sample some time ago and it seems good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I know a builder who gave up on the PolyFibre system and gave me all his leftover chemical. 

He now uses a water-based covering which looks impressive.

https://www.stewartsystems.aero

I refurbished my aircraft using the Stewart System - still happy with the result (my first effort/could do better now) 6 years later.

Thanks for all the replies, I shall be buying direct from the USA. I guess I would like to add my opinion on Poly Fiber; I find that when people don't like using a particular product, 9 times out of 10, they don't have a lot of experience using the product, and they're just not good at using the product. Call me arrogant but that is what I've found, not just in aviation but automotive as well. Personally I wouldn't use anything but Poly Fiber because I like using it. I continually get advice from people why I shouldn't use Poly Fiber products for one reason or another, but I find it easy to use, fantastic to get a very neat finish and absolutely fantastic to paint on. Each to their own, but I will be using good ol' Poly Fiber, Poly tac, mek, Poly brush, Poly spray and 2 pak polyurethane colour coats with flex add. Cheers all. 

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Don't know anything about Stits Poly Fibre other than the name has been around for ever AND it uses some quite nasty chemicals requiring extreme PPE (if you care about being contaminated) .

When I did the research on refurbishing my aircraft I did so with an open mind (& no prior experience helped). I was attracted to the Stewart System because:

• Fewer nasty chemicals (than "traditional" systems) and reduced reliance on PPE to keep me & environment healthy.

• Excellent instruction manual and video's covering every aspect of fabric and paint application.

• Fantastic factory back up.

• Certified system.

• Competitive pricing.

This was my first and so far only, attempt at aircraft refurbishment. Followed the instruction manual to the letter - very happy with the result. There is no doubt that with the experienced I gained, I could now do the job faster and end up with a better finish but this would just be time & esthetics not a more airworthy result.

You can purchase the Stewart System through Aircraft Spruce OR direct from Stewart USA BUT do your cost calculations carefully befor committing.

NOTE: If you go with Stewart System, listen to the factory advice and purchase your top coat paint when you need it (not with the initial purchase) - Reason the paint tends to "settle out"  and is much harder to mix well when it has been sitting for many months

When I was at the Rans open day this time last year I spoke with the owner of Stewart Systems he was there and went right through all his products with me. Nice guy and really knew his stuff and was very helpfull and had no drama to deliver direct to us here in OZ. I am considering using his system for the S21 but will wait until I am almost ready to paint before ordering as he did say you say should use it when it is fresh

You still need to use a mask when spraying though it is water based

When I was at the Rans open day this time last year I spoke with the owner of Stewart Systems he was there and went right through all his products with me. Nice guy and really knew his stuff and was very helpfull and had no drama to deliver direct to us here in OZ. I am considering using his system for the S21 but will wait until I am almost ready to paint before ordering as he did say you say should use it when it is fresh

You still need to use a mask when spraying though it is water based

Haven't met the Stewarts but my impressions are as you state.

In regard to PPE - I worked all my life in Agriculture - when I did my training we were told to take all possible precautions/protection when using chemicals of any sort - never accept any suggestion that the material is as safe as water. 

With the Stewart System, I used full body (including head & face) disposable chemical suits, full face filter mask with carbon filters and disposable gloves - why take the risk if you dont have too. I also had a "one way" air system, in my spray booth, fresh in one end / contaminated air out the other.

Thanks for all the replies, I shall be buying direct from the USA. I guess I would like to add my opinion on Poly Fiber; I find that when people don't like using a particular product, 9 times out of 10, they don't have a lot of experience using the product, and they're just not good at using the product. Call me arrogant but that is what I've found, not just in aviation but automotive as well. Personally I wouldn't use anything but Poly Fiber because I like using it. I continually get advice from people why I shouldn't use Poly Fiber products for one reason or another, but I find it easy to use, fantastic to get a very neat finish and absolutely fantastic to paint on. Each to their own, but I will be using good ol' Poly Fiber, Poly tac, mek, Poly brush, Poly spray and 2 pak polyurethane colour coats with flex add. Cheers all. 

Also plenty of testbeds on the Skyfox range over 25 years with the painted 'Poly Fiber' and longer on other types of aircraft that allow deciding the suitability of the product and you can also see its finish (joins, overlaps and reinfocing layers in certian areas that call for the added material.) Cheers.

Its not owned by the Stewarts any more. The guy whose name escapes me at the moment but I do have his business card at home bought it a few years ago. But a very nice personable guy who is only too willing to be helpful

Thats too bad - the Stewarts & their team were great.

I recall, though my memory is not what it was, that Stewart products are not listed as dangerous goods. I think poly fiber chemicals are. Will make a difference when importing/transporting same.

From an equally fallible memory - I think you are correct.

Also plenty of testbeds on the Skyfox range over 25 years with the painted 'Poly Fiber' and longer on other types of aircraft that allow deciding the suitability of the product and you can also see its finish (joins, overlaps and reinfocing layers in certian areas that call for the added material.) Cheers.

There is no doubt about the durability/ functionality of the Stits Poly System. It's been around forever BUT in the forever time, other products have come onto the market.  The Stewart System and ORATEX , are significantly different to Stits and to each other, but offer a similar finished result . The point is dont close your mind to change.

There is no doubt about the durability/ functionality of the Stits Poly System. It's been around forever BUT in the forever time, other products have come onto the market.  The Stewart System and ORATEX , are significantly different to Stits and to each other, but offer a similar finished result . The point is dont close your mind to change.

Agree as as my reply says have a close look at the finished products coverage, joins and overlaps etc and if happy keep that product on your list that your choosing from.  I'm not bagging any particular product; and I don't know them all or have experience with them.  I've every confidence that Foxworker will make a great choice.  The final paint system is also one where you need to get the right advice and choices as you don't want cracking in the near future.  Cheers

Agree as as my reply says have a close look at the finished products coverage, joins and overlaps etc and if happy keep that product on your list that your choosing from.  I'm not bagging any particular product; and I don't know them all or have experience with them.  I've every confidence that Foxworker will make a great choice.  The final paint system is also one where you need to get the right advice and choices as you don't want cracking in the near future.  Cheers

Not sure understand -

I get "look at the finished products" but not "coverage" - most if not all top coats, even those applied by an amature such as myself, will have more than adequate coverage. I would have thought what matters here is durability - which to me would mean no cracking, yellowing or fading over time. The expert will always have a fantastic finish on his/her paint job - what does that tell the observer? just that a good technician applied the paint. An amature may have all sorts of odd finishes "orange peel, runs etc but if the paint is good it will not crack or yellow/fade over time.

What's the "joins and overlaps etc " - in my application the fabric is not joined anywhere. There are a few overlaps, but they are mostly hidden on the leading edge of control surfaces and the only obvious one (if you know where to look) does not really tell the observer anything other than that's where the fabric has been overlapped for a strong join. How does any of this help the researcher find the paint fabric system that he/she will use??

Seems to me that: 

• Durability of product - how long will it last (remain airworthy and of course good looking)

• Where applicable , products must meet factory standard or better - fabric "weight" etc

• Ease of application- will I be able to do a satisfactory airworthy job

• Minimal personal & environmental impact - will I die or everything around me - must I purchase expensive & uncomfortable PPE to minimise risk

• Factory support - must be excellent for the first time user

• Cost effective result - $$$$

(Probably missed something or two)

Will have more to do with selection than anything else