If Paul can stall, we all can stall.

Garfly

He's a very good presenter and teacher. One thing I repeatedly notice, is that older people tend to fixate or focus on single things for longer than need be, as compared to younger people.

I believe this a habit we need to guard against, as we age. It applies to every facet of operating any machine that's power-driven - but nowhere is it as deadly a bad habit, as in piloting an aircraft.

• Like 4

One thing I repeatedly notice is the amount of hi tech instruments, in some of these light aircraft that basically! can be flown by the seat of the pants.

I wonder how many close calls there are by pilots fixated on these instruments rather than focusing on keeping a sharp look out and flying the aircraft. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

The Cessna type stall warning is quite effective. I've flown on it when I had to.  I don't like generalisations being made about any group because you will be wronging a significant number of good operators if you do.. A basic plane doesn't need a complex set of instruments and at some stage you will be distracted by some of them, when your eyes should be  better used outside.. 

Unintentional stalls? How many of them do you think you can get away with?  The answer may be NONE. Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

The Cessna type stall warning is quite effective. I've flown on it when I had to.

Yes I’ve always thought this Cessna type to be a very effective yet simple stall warning. Paul’s UTube clip was interesting. One of the big dangers to the base leg stall is the fact that the stall symptoms are masked by the fact you are descending, so the wing loading is reduced. With reduced wing loading, stall speed is lower. for example, If you fly a bunt type manoeuvre, you can fly the aircraft, under control at well below the basic stall speed. Just don’t pull back and load the wings, it will seem to stall immediately.

So in the descending base turn, with low wing loading, you will feel no buffet, indeed, flaps may have altered downwash so root stall buffet now misses the tail plane. You will not see a high nose attitude, controls will feel sloppy, but at base and final approach speeds, the do anyway. So, it all looks ok….but just apply a bit of back pressure (wing loading) to tighten that base turn, to avoid flying through centreline…and all hell breaks loose! 
If you do stall, “go for the ground”, on recovery, what I mean is, give the aircraft a chance to recover. Being too enthusiastic to get that nose up and getting into a secondary stall….and you are in deep trouble.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Was it just me or was anyone else uncomfortable when he got out of the seat with the engine running?

Good pickup. When you do that you can no longer control the unknown. A clot of dirt breaking allowing a wheel to roll, a gust of wind, just the reduced weight of getting out lowering the rolling resistence etc and you aren't in the seat to simply pull back the throttle lever. Used to happen a lot in the 1920s.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 22/10/2021 at 3:08 PM, Thruster88 said:

A simple angle of attack stall warning system. Works at any airspeed. Works while being distracted by birds.😉 This is old technology so it is probably shit.

Resized_20211022_134100_6889.jpeg

Standard on the Cherokee along with the sound warning. Amazing how far you can get into the delaminating state with the aircraft still flying, and the "stalling/not stalling/stalling" as the indicator reacts to temporay buffets.This would be very helpful in a steep turn where you didn't have enough power on.

However, this is a very good video and lifetime explanation of what inattention can do, and the thread title is apt.

This distraction scenario most often occurs when you start taking passengers, beginning with kids who start pulling knobs to adults who don't realise the concentration needed, and burst out with a question on the base final phase. The risk increases when a passenger wants to take a photo and directs you into tighter and tighter turns; they have no undestanding of how an aircraft flies.  It multiplies with a four seater with kids being sick and people telling you to slow down while they attend to them etc.

A good book when you've just got your Certificate/licence is Paul A. Craig's "The Killing Zone" which gives similar examples to the hawk distraction that Paul Bertorelli explained.

21 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Good pickup. When you do that you can no longer control the unknown. A clot of dirt breaking allowing a wheel to roll, a gust of wind, just the reduced weight of getting out lowering the rolling resistence etc and you aren't in the seat to simply pull back the throttle lever. Used to happen a lot in the 1920s.

https://www.phototimetunnel.com/the-runaway-plane-and-a-midair-collision-a-bad-month-at-bankstown-airport-august-1955

• Like 1