Guess the plane

Guest Pioneer200

• 11 months later...

Nobody in here for a while so I'll just give that last thing an ID via Google:

Sigma 5

Nice looking thing, but I remain hugely sceptical about so called flying cars.

Have a go at this:

633.thumb.jpg.3ce1772c09e5f1ceea092f1a3080a9d5.jpg

• 1 year later...

Red, Flightrite is correct, it's a CH-47D. The CH-46 is a lighter version, powered by GE T58 turboshaft engines, the CH47 is a heavier lift version powered by the Lycoming T55 turboshaft engine.

You're right, acted too quickly. I am amazed I hav not profiled te Chinook. Now have the photos, will do so tonight. The black obscuring the bouyancy hull fooled me. Have to get my glasse checked.

• Like 1

I found that image yonks ago in an article about the Graf Zeppelin, which was to be the Nazi’s first Aircraft carrier. The Stuka was modified to allow it to operate off this short field and I’m assuming the unusual features are massive stall fences, with windows for visibility.

Love to know more about it.

• Informative 1

Nev, it was a design doomed to failure largely due to the manufacturer being forced to use the highly unreliable Continental inverted V12 XIV-1430 engines, which ran at a higher-than-normal operating temperature to try and increase the power output. The Continental inverted V12 was prone to fires as a result, and an engine fire destroyed the only flying prototype of the XP-67 Moonbat.

In addition, the amount of effort put into streamlining and fairings did not produce the level of performance promised - and only equalled the other, "regular design" military aircraft of the era.

The aircraft designers also entered into areas of aerodynamic instability with the streamlining, which was likely not fully understood until decades later, and only counteracted by electronic stability controls of our modern electronic era.

The Moonbat also suffered badly from Dutch Roll, and it had undesirable handling qualities as it approached stall speed, which led test pilots to decline spin testing, as they suspected the aircraft would develop an unrecoverable spin, if spin testing was tried.

So - despite looking like something that would be a world-beater in design, the Moonbat was really only an interesting design exercise that failed to deliver what it promised - even though the looks promised something out of 50 years into the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_XP-67

Short coupling and mass distribution affects Dutch roll or later with sweepback at higher altitudes. Yaw dampers fix all that. Some of these futuristic designs ended up with crook load carrying ability. Few planes can carry a payload exceeding their Empty weight. Some of our U/L's do quite well in this respect.    Nev

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was over in sheep shaggers country recently and spotted the old Convair, still operational for Chatham’s but the gas man said they are retiring them, going jet!

8BFCFACE-5724-4550-A258-99A52D3389CB.jpeg

Edited by Flightrite

It's a shame no RB-1 Conestoga's appear to have survived. Being made entirely out of spot-welded stainless steel, corrosion would have been non-existent, and I'd imagine the structural lifespan would have been huge.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1