Piloting easy as

Russ

Untill recently, i considered learning piloting to solo was usually challenging to most folks.

Not anymore.................it's a walk in the park.

Month or 2 back friend mentioned he needed another road train driver for 3 mths work, that's me i blurt, i can drive "trucks" no probs. He scoffs at me, after some exchanging he agrees to train me up to this higher leval.

STRESS................you don't know stress untill you are trying to learn to control 650 horses under the bonnet, with 3 large trailers hanging on the back of you. ( B triples )

Keeping all this under control with 18 gears to go through, then 18 coming back down, braking / etc etc.

Clutch is used just the once, at take off, from thereafter it's right revs, right teckneques,right tickles of the throttle +++++ and all those 18 gears get used.

Several times you just get so frushtrated with with your inability to get all this right, you feel like throwing in the towell. Then slowly things start happining more consistantly, you are winning.

To cut this story short, pride begins to emerge from within, you are now enjoying this huge challenge.

As i said at the beginning..........piloting is a breeze compared to this challenge. 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Guest Howard Hughes

While I was waiting for a job in aviation I drove trucks. I always had spare capacity to think about flying, I don't think the same can be said about piloting...:thumb_up:

My view.

Different skills. Flying is 3 dimensional. Going solo is really a small part of flying, although it might seem like a significant hurdle and worthy of some comment, at the time. Also some bus/truck drivers will never get the hang of clutchless gear changing. I've been in buses where EVERY gear change makes you want to get out and walk. I've been in planes when the pilot drives it like a bulldozer. Makes you appreciate it when you get it all together. (Not just the landing). You are nonetheless never perfect in any skill situation. Nev

Clutch is used just the once, at take off, from thereafter it's right revs, right teckneques,right tickles of the throttle +++++ and all those 18 gears get used.

Sounds great mate! Quite normal for people to freak out not using the clutch at first, but you'll screw the whole show if you do use it!

Once you work it out, you'll be able to do it in your sleep, comes quite naturally after a while. Just out of interest, what sort of truck is it?

Helped a guy out the other day, he had about 120 ton on board and snapped his tail/drive shaft (the rear one between the two diffs) powering off from an intersection.

Driven many crash boxes? Double clutching etc... gives you a strong left leg after you've been around town a few times! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

...........Driven many crash boxes? Double clutching etc... gives you a strong left leg after you've been around town a few times! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Yep, a 20,000 gallon fuel bowser with a snow plow on the front. No power steering either. Try that round very narrow air-field roads, in prep for taking it on the runway.

Another day on the monster............i'm now thinkin, i'm winning........this thing has been controlling me.........deadset

Yea, left leg get's a workout when you get tied up in traffic...........Grrrrrrrrr

Kenworth 2005 yr..........around 650 horses. I'm going to fit a shotgun to the bullbar, aimed straight out front, and blow some of them tossers in cars, hell bent on getting me to run over em as they jump in me gap as i'm braking at lights etc etc........unreal.

That's just for starters.

Give me an open road and i could like this ol girl...........i think

( stand by my earlier comment..........it's easier fly aeroplanes 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Compare apples with apples.

You are comparing a very basic aeroplane just doing circuits, with a complex truck that requires a bit to master in traffic with a whole pile of stuff hanging on behind, and unpredictable idiot tin-top drivers all around. Perhaps you should compare it with a Starlifter doing a descent into Afghanistan under fire from SAMS. Nev

Sounds great mate! Quite normal for people to freak out not using the clutch at first, but you'll screw the whole show if you do use it! Once you work it out, you'll be able to do it in your sleep, comes quite naturally after a while. Just out of interest, what sort of truck is it?

Helped a guy out the other day, he had about 120 ton on board and snapped his tail/drive shaft (the rear one between the two diffs) powering off from an intersection.

Driven many crash boxes? Double clutching etc... gives you a strong left leg after you've been around town a few times! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

hey Tommo, forget the friggin clutch on any crash box, just match the revs and finger tip it in, you will be surprised how easy it gets, the clutch doesnt wearout and its easy on the driveline.

btw were getting pretty off topic lol.

Steve

Guest ozzie

Russ is right flying a plane is a piece a cake, you don't have to deal with all those mad bastards driving trucks on crappy roads

Another day on the monster............i'm now thinkin, i'm winning........this thing has been controlling me.........deadsetYea, left leg get's a workout when you get tied up in traffic...........Grrrrrrrrr

Kenworth 2005 yr..........around 650 horses. I'm going to fit a shotgun to the bullbar, aimed straight out front, and blow some of them tossers in cars, hell bent on getting me to run over em as they jump in me gap as i'm braking at lights etc etc........unreal.

That's just for starters.

Give me an open road and i could like this ol girl...........i think

( stand by my earlier comment..........it's easier fly aeroplanes 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Oh Russ mate! You leave yourself wide open on this one... Or perhaps truckies driving in Qld are just the scary ones... it is a battle field out there on the roads.

hey Tommo, forget the friggin clutch on any crash box, just match the revs and finger tip it in, you will be surprised how easy it gets, the clutch doesnt wearout and its easy on the driveline.

Agree Steve!

just match the revs and finger tip it in, you will be surprised how easy it gets, the clutch doesnt wearout and its easy on the driveline.Steve

I tried the same method with the missus..........................failed miserably, she said my clutchwork was a bit rough:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Untill recently, i considered learning piloting to solo was usually challenging to most folks.Not anymore.................it's a walk in the park.

Hey Guys,

Comparing apples to oranges won`t necessarily work or get the right answer.

If we`re having a serious debate, I can`t stress strongly enough that when discussing a subject, the subject matter, must be clearly defined.In this case it appears to be, "Piloting to Solo".

In my opinion,there is too much discussion, without determining the type of Aircraft and catogary of flying, by that AC.

Are we discussing here,the type of aircraft being flown,the operation it will be doing,where it will be flying from and to,The ability of the instructor to get their message through to their student,The ability and skill of the individual student and the tasks required of the student or the difference between the AC and the monster truck,and on it goes.

In my life,I`ve driven many machines that required hand and foot co-ordination and I found

flying extremely easy and still do,I see the aircraft as a machine that gives me the ability to fly,I`m doing the flying and the AC is only coming along for the ride,it is simply an extention of me and I make it do what I want ,however,my skill is unique to me.Skill is unique to the individual,it may be "better or worse" than mine,what one finds easy another finds hard.

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Ps. Russ,Not having a go at you.

Flying is easy,Crashing is hard.

Oops............i've done it. Guys i was tongue in cheek kindof, lighthearted etc ( in part )

opologies to all...........( back under me rock )110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

Frank.......have'nt eyeballed you in 30 sum yrs......cheers mate, no offence taken.

Show me a set of prematurely worn selector forks and I'll show you a clutchless shifter - they all say they get it right, but the service guys usually have the last laugh.

Oops............i've done it. Guys i was tongue in cheek kindof, lighthearted etc ( in part )opologies to all...........( back under me rock )110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

Frank.......have'nt eyeballed you in 30 sum yrs......cheers mate, no offence taken.

Hey Russ,

I know you were trying to keep it light hearted ,107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif,Never appoligise unless you`ve done something wrong,I was trying to help keep the thread going.:devil:.

You eyeballed me 30 years ago,now I`m curious,PM me,can`t recall you,love to meet you again and you`re welcome down here,anytime.

Cheers,

Show me a set of prematurely worn selector forks and I'll show you a clutchless shifter - they all say they get it right, but the service guys usually have the last laugh.

Can I?

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hey Russ,I know you were trying to keep it light hearted ,107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif,Never appoligise unless you`ve done something wrong,I was trying to help keep the thread going.:devil:.

You eyeballed me 30 years ago,now I`m curious,PM me,can`t recall you,love to meet you again and you`re welcome down here,anytime.

Cheers,

you and gary theodore were flying a thruster type aero, me gyro, ( black, turboed EA81,one time ,ended rolling it into a ball at your deeral strip, me u beaut tail i designed would'nt play ball when i got airborne,.........Oh, memories ( some were bleedin nightmares 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif ) Yea about 20....30 yrs back. Then we went "NT"...just got back here.

me gyro, ( black, turboed EA81,one time ,ended rolling it into a ball at your deeral strip, me u beaut tail i designed would'nt play ball when i got airborne,.........Oh, memories ( some were bleedin nightmar) .

Russ,

You`ve joged the memory a little,I recall a guy who said he had modified the tail and ended up in the soft ploughed field beside the strip,hurting the machine but not himself .

:no no: Please don`t modify anything on that truck,I might be driving towards you.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers,

Frank.