FFAARRKKK rying out loud..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Darky .....

Late as usual, I echo everything everyone has said .... SO glad you're are all in one piece ..... and don't those "opposition"objects come at you quick ... you spot it and before you can react WHAM ... its either missed or hit ....

RD

Hi Darkey,

Been away for a couple of days, just now on line and saw the 'bad luck / good luck' incident.

Main thing is you are all here to tell about it....

Wedgies' are one of our greatest concerns up here in Qld. the only days we don't come across them is on windy days, have had them go between us when flying along in company and we've often wondered what damage they'd do, sure know now. Sorry you found out the hard way, keep up the good work and flying, and hope to see you around one day.

Cheers Davo.:big_grin:

Holy Moly :ah_oh: , had it jammed pitch controll 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif ??????????????????

Proves, you`re safe as a church, till you`re numbers up.

DS, If that didn`t bother you, you`ll make a good pilot.

Cheers,

Frank.

Thanks all :)

I think that the extra money I'm paying to do my navs in the Warrior suddenly all became worthwhile. It may be costing me more but considering it did that much damage to the Warrior, then I don't know how the Jab would've faired, so perhaps that extra money = me still being here, who knows.

and don't those "opposition"objects come at you quick ... you spot it and before you can react WHAM ... its either missed or hit ....

ooooh yes! I saw it maybe a second before it hit.

its only when u attempt to fly under them that there's a problem...their first instinct is to fold the wings and dive...

We didn't 'attempt' anything

Holy Moly :ah_oh: , had it jammed pitch controll 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif ??????????????????Proves, you`re safe as a church, till you`re numbers up.

DS, If that didn`t bother you, you`ll make a good pilot.

No the pitch was still working, although we were a little wary when landing because we weren't sure how much elevator authority we actually had.

I wouldn't say it 'didn't bother me' but I wasn't panicking or anything either. While we were flying I guess it was mostly adrenaline plus disbelief that it was happening - plus it was flying fairly well, so I'm sure that contributed to being calm, if it'd been all over the shop then that would've been different. It did start to hit me when I got home, I spent most of the weekend thinking about it, and I was quite nervous when we redid that nav on Monday (at takeoff and around the spot where we had the strike) but overall I think I still can't believe it happened at all. I spose staying calm at the actual time is the good pilot part though?

I wouldn't say it 'didn't bother me' but I wasn't panicking or anything either. It did start to hit me when I got home. QUOTE]DS, I`ve lost count of the times when something that occured while flying,bothered me more, once at home thinking about it, than at the time it occured.

The one place we can`t afford to freak out,(so to speak),is in the aircraft,it appears you didn`t do that,keep it up and you will be OK.

Cheers and all the best,

Frank.

Hi Jen, Glad to hear you are both ok. Some have not faired that well. When John was learning at Mangalore an Ibis went through the windscreen & into the cockpit of a cessna made a h..l of a mess took weeks to get the blood,guts & stench out of the plane. Sue

haha, ok, fine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gifThis is what I did on my weekend:

Can't say it was that much fun...

Darky,

We are supposed to soar with the eagles not kill them.

Also glad it didnt kill you

Glad to see your still with us.

The situation.

Without trying to dampen the fun, You are actually very lucky to have come off unscathed. I am sure that most airframe people will be a bit incredulous at the extent of the damage and that the plane was able to be controlled in that condition. The elevator is the MOST important control of the three and the one you can't do without.. Nev.

Without trying to dampen the fun, You are actually very lucky to have come off unscathed. I am sure that most airframe people will be a bit incredulous at the extent of the damage and that the plane was able to be controlled in that condition. The elevator is the MOST important control of the three and the one you can't do without.. Nev.

Funny sense of fun you have Nev, I suspect everyone who has viewed those photos is acutely aware that the outcome could easily have been very different, not least of all Darky. Chalk one up to the guardian angel methinks!

Ha ha, no apology called for, as you say I think we all feel much the same way about this incident, I was merely picking up on the reference to "fun"

I still have slight cold shivers thinking about the first time I took my son up, we had a raptor of some description pass across our bows at fairly close range, not exactly a near miss but enough to get my undivided attention. In the back of my mind was the thought that even if we weren't badly injured by the bird coming through the screen, the Tecnam might not fly too well with the resultant turbulence over the tail. I recall reading an accident report about a C172 going in, overseas due to a loss of control following a similar incident.

Cont..

I am aware that I am usually serious, especially on this forum, and that is a role that I don't personally enjoy, but the main thing that I would like to see is the safest possible outcomes for pilots generally. The more knowledge we have the safer we will be. I do have a bit of flying experience and have landed an aircraft without any elevator function, as well as being involved in many air safety matters over the years..( investigations etc). Most of my posts come from first hand experiences, not just what I have read.. Nev

The thread is about turning bug-smashers into bird-smashers.

I had a motorcycle accident and when I was discussing it with another member of the fraternity, I refered to it as an alteration. He corrected me and said it was an altercation. I replied ....nope, to the bike it was an alteration.

It seems it was the same here.

It seems you were very lucky there Darky.

The J170 would have coped that pretty hard.

Stan.

I think its the aussie way, to laugh in the face of danger. But inside we all know what an extra kilo or 2 in the eagles belly or an extra 10 kts of airspeed would have done to that aeroplane, the thought of loosing one of our most inspiring and determined young members in such a way is too much to entertain.

PS, Nev, a bit of flying experiance??.... and you say your not humerous...lol..006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

You've done well Darks, and the plane should be repairable, and your 2IC made the correct decision to land ASAP. I remember a similiar incident that happened to a Piper Chieftan (big twin) on approach into Normanton with passengers, some years ago.

They encountered a very large Pelican which had to have gone through the left prop and then impacted (and embedded in) the LH horizontal stab leading edge. This impact did jam their elevator, but with brute force the pilot managed to unjam it and land.

The heavy gouge marks where the elevator had been unjammed by the pilot were clearly evident on the outboard end of the elevator itself. The whole rear stab assembly was written off as unrepairable and a new one fitted. The remains of the pelican were removed with it's large beak embeded in the crumpled metal.

Wedges by the way are probabily territorial and protective during the mating season (now), he probabily saw the Worrier as a threat and intruder and decided to take it on.

I once had a big wedgee go right under the left wingtip of a GA Lightwing I was ferrying..AT 5400 FT !! . I spent the rest of that flight looking at the thin single wing-strut thinking what if ?...........................................................................................maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif