RV-12 forced landing, Gold Coast

Spin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on VAF forums this afternoon;It was my RV12 down <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> Have just managed to get into the RV12 forum site and thought would explain what happened to my plane last saturday. As it was reported I was flying along at 1000 feet when the motor just stopped. ( i think the gear box seized)

I would like to know if the gearbox seized and if so what caused it? I would also like to know what oil this motor was running on.

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Chris,

a Rotax never fails ! The owner fails the Rotax!

As to jab's well.....

I said it before .... If they ever manage to sort it out I'll order a 230!

Fly safe,

Walter

Guest Maj Millard

The only time a Rotax gear box has problems, (especially a new one) is when someone puts Aviation grade oil in it. The Rotax manual clearly states what oil is to be used, and that it has to be a synthetic mix, for lubrication of the gearbox cogs.

The same problem occured with Gazelles when they entered GA style flight schools. GA maintainers would put Aviation grade oil in them, and they would sieze every time.

If this is what occured in this case, it is certainly not an engine problem, but an operator problem. Always refer to the manufacturers Instructions, especially on a new installation.There is a Rotax Service Instruction which clearly states what you can, and cannot use. .................................................Maj...

The only time a Rotax gear box has problems, (especially a new one) is when someone puts Aviation grade oil in it. The Rotax manual clearly states what oil is to be used, and that it has to be a synthetic mix, for lubrication of the gearbox cogs. The same problem occured with Gazelles when they entered GA style flight schools. GA maintainers would put Aviation grade oil in them, and they would sieze every time.

If this is what occured in this case, it is certainly not an engine problem, but an operator problem. Always refer to the manufacturers Instructions, especially on a new installation.There is a Rotax Service Instruction which clearly states what you can, and cannot use. .................................................Maj...

Maj,

This is exactly what I was thinking when in my post #28 I said I would like to know what oil was being used in this engine..........

Just become a mechanic in either aviation or industrial....

Some just give us more work than others, but If it's man made, it's bound to fail one way or another. Including Rolls Royce (yep, valve head fell off)

Guest Maj Millard

Turbo, As far as I know the Jab engine requires an Aviation grade oil, as stated by the manufacturer. Rotax specifically prohibits the use of an aviation grade oil in the 912, because of the lubrication requirements of the gearbox.

The same would happen to a Jab if you put a synthetic blend oil in them, I would imagine.

I don't have much to do with them since they started failing about twenty years ago, and the factory really couldn't give a hoot back then either. Tell me something has really changed ?........................................................Maj...

The same would happen to a Jab if you put a synthetic blend oil in them, I would imagine.............Maj...[/quote

That was my point, I've seen many discussions on these forums where you just have to shake your head at the certainty that the amateur mechanic has just shortened his engine life by 70% by departing from the manufacturers specifications or procedures.