Aircraft not getting used?

Tomo

Just thought I'd put it out there... as I know some people have aeroplanes tucked away in a hanger somewhere and they don't get time or have lost the joy of flying (if there's such a thing) and it's just not getting used.

Well I'm a keen aeroplane driver always looking for a run! :big_grin:

RAA/GA... :thumb_up:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomo, aircraft ownership is expensive. Insurance is expensive, hangarage is expensive, maintenance is expensive. Even if the aircraft doesn't fly, you are looking at around $10,000 per year, and that is not taking into account engine/prop/rectification. So if you want to go for a run for an hour or so in an aircraft that doesn't appear to fly much, I suggest offering the owner around $10,000. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Seriously Tomo, if you want one, buy one, or go to a flying school. Those aircraft do enough hours to justify the cheaper hire costs, rather than to cadge rides from private owners struggling to keep up with the bills.

• Like 2

I've often thought along the same lines as Tomo (even though I know that nothing would/could ever come of it). I have access to hiring one of two planes, or one more if I want to drive 3 hours to access it. Every time I'm at the airstrip I see all these planes just sitting there... 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Hi Tomo,

One of things I have noticed over the years is a number of old guys that have bought very nice ac and have lost the capacity to fly them, be it confidence or skill. Sometimes all it takes is to offer to go for a fly and they are more than happy to allow you to do the take-off and landing and most of the flying... at the same time you bring a huge smile to them and you get to fly some nice ac for free :big_grin:.

Cheers

Vev

• Like 5

Just thought I'd put it out there... as I know some people have aeroplanes tucked away in a hanger somewhere and they don't get time or have lost the joy of flying (if there's such a thing) and it's just not getting used.Well I'm a keen aeroplane driver always looking for a run! :big_grin:

RAA/GA... :thumb_up:

Guilty as charged. I have had a new J170 since October 2009 and only done 60 hours! Just don't get enthused like I used to. Doing a three hour navex with BBQ today, my re-ignite the spark...

• Like 1

Haha, thanks guys.

I'm not looking at ripping people off, and I don't really need anymore choices of aircraft to use. Just that I already fly a couple aircraft for the owner to keep it in the air from time to time as they haven't had time to do it. And the worse thing for an aircraft is to sit stagnant. A wash and a fly for an hour or two once a month or so, does an aircraft a lot of good.

Whats wrong in asking? I now have my own aircraft that was given to me for free, all because I dared to ask. There is a Biblical quote that says "You have not because you ask not". Hey Tommo, I have seen you fly and would have no problem in letting you fly my plane if it was sitting around gathering dust. If something isnt getting used they tend to need work on them to get operational again. Ageing fuel,spiders,bugs,dust,and decay all seem to attack anything left sitting around unused.How many times have we tried to use something only to find it wont work. "Strewth"we say, this worked last time I used it. "But when was that?"your better half asks. "6 mths, 12 mths ago?" The most expensive items such as electronics all seem to suffer from sitting around unused.

Hey Tommo, maybe you could charge people to fly their planes for them a couple of times a year to keep things from seizing up.But knowing you, providing this service for free is more in your character.

I think you've touched on a need Tomo, giving these machines a regular run is going to add to their reliability. The only downside I can see is you don't know their condition, maintenance level, or if the fact they've been standing has already turned filters to flecks of paper ready to clog up.

I think you've touched on a need Tomo, giving these machines a regular run is going to add to their reliability. The only downside I can see is you don't know their condition, maintenance level, or if the fact they've been standing has already turned filters to flecks of paper ready to clog up.

I am guessing that the machine would most probably come back in better condition then before Tomo came along...

Hi Tomo if you where in victoria you could take my skyfox for a run it doesnt do enough in the air l mainly fly the drifter mainly due to the run way we have very short 180 mts no suitable for the fox.

As far as keeping an aircraft if it cost me $10.000 a year l couldnt afford them dont know where some people get there figures from.

• Like 3

Guest SAJabiruflyer

You dont know if you dont ask.. I remember watching a bloke get ready to take his Jet for a fly. I asked him if he wanted someone to sit in the back seat. Next minute there we were, hurtling down the runway at a great rate of knots.. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

As you can see from my list, we have a number of planes - too many for one busy couple - but accumulated over years. Someone to take an interest would have saved several from being relegated to the end of the list for maintenance (behind cars, plant, houses etc).

My C152 hasn't done many hours in 12 months and none this year (long story). Fully insured for hire & training. Will refurbish & re-paint soon.

The RANs is at a distant airstrip where we could get a hangar (7hrs drive away) but gets a good run when we visit, which is about 3-4 times a year, although most of our contact time with this aircraft, his latest build, is spent fine tuning - hunting down vibrations, moving oil cooler, replacing tubing etc.

The Lightwing was bought for the sons to learn (they lost interest) and is on loan to a bloke who hardly flies it. Hangared 7 hrs away

The Karasport is in our backyard in a trailer waiting for a thorough inspection of cables.

The Scout needs recovering before being re-registered - He got too heavy, but I could fly it. Stored 8 hours drive away.

The Turbulent is in pieces because all the glue joints need re-doing before re-registering. Also 8 hours away.

Bought a partly completed Sonerai kit for the son (can't fly) who wanted it and who hasn't touched it, who's looking to sell.

The Whisky plans have not progressed much and I doubt he will end up building that - he's working on his own design, on CAD.

Shed full of bits accumulated over time, packed in so solid I didn't realise there was a car under there. Lots of stuff from the early days of ultralights. The family never throw anything out.

We run our engines regularly, but just don't get the time to go flying much. Part of the problem is not being able to get a hangar in the town we live in. The Council wanted double what the hangar and plane was worth in infrastructure upgrades to their airport (taxiways, apron, drainage, services) before they would allow us to build a hangar which would revert to their ownership in 20 years.

When we retire, (when??) the plan is to move closer (or get our own strip) and fly them more. And yes, it does cost us a lot to keep them on the register, insured, maintained etc - dead money. And inactivity does bring its problems. We have both worked all our lives and bikes & planes were his passion.

A Tomo type offer / expression of interest, would have been the catalyst we needed to keep our steeds in the air.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sue

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

We are all entitled to express an opinion.( Including Mazda). Aeroplanes are expensive and if you don't use them much they deteriorate fast. An unused plane becomes a safety issue too. Ground running the engine is not a good solution as the oil does not reach temperature. You usually need close to an hour in the air, to get the oil fully warm...( This does not apply to 2-strokes). If your plane is unused for long the motor should be inhibited properly. This is rarely done. Nev

• Like 1

Tomo, aircraft ownership is expensive. Insurance is expensive, hangarage is expensive, maintenance is expensive. Even if the aircraft doesn't fly, you are looking at around $10,000 per year, and that is not taking into account engine/prop/rectification. So if you want to go for a run for an hour or so in an aircraft that doesn't appear to fly much, I suggest offering the owner around $10,000. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gifSeriously Tomo, if you want one, buy one, or go to a flying school. Those aircraft do enough hours to justify the cheaper hire costs, rather than to cadge rides from private owners struggling to keep up with the bills.

I guess that's true, but if the owner is paying 10k a year and not flying it.... It's not my problem. Yes I could buy one, but can't afford it at the moment - but I'm working hard... Some people appreciate an offer of someone taking their aircraft for a fly.

Haven't had much trouble with insurance as the owners just call up their insurance and add me to it.

Very much so, of course it's up to the owner, I'm not out there to suck off anyone, but I enjoy flying and no harm in asking. Condition is a tricky one, but being a mechanic does help to decide on whether it's safe or not, but yes, that is a worthy consideration.

Hi Tomo if you where in victoria you could take my skyfox for a run it doesnt do enough in the air l mainly fly the drifter mainly due to the run way we have very short 180 mts no suitable for the fox.As far as keeping an aircraft if it cost me $10.000 a year l couldnt afford them dont know where some people get there figures from.

That would be great! But yeah, kinda restricted to Queensland at the moment! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif