RAA Membership $$$$

Guest aussie carl

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a comparision guys ive only just started flying and i think the prices are definetly resonable if not cheap. I barefoot waterski competitevly the cost of membership to awwf (australian waterski and wakeboarde federation) is $285 a year then I have to pay another $50 to my local club all this just to compete and have insurance we dont get any monthly magazine. So in comparision raa membership is heaps cheaper.

• Like 1

Just as a comparision guys ive only just started flying and i think the prices are definetly resonable if not cheap. I barefoot waterski competitevly the cost of membership to awwf (australian waterski and wakeboarde federation) is $285 a year then I have to pay another $50 to my local club all this just to compete and have insurance we dont get any monthly magazine. So in comparision raa membership is heaps cheaper.

RA flying is cheaper compared to shooting too. I looked into getting my pistol licence earlier this year. Between $300 per year for membership of the pistol club, $50 per year for membership of the Sporting Shooters Association and another $165 per year (or 5 years, I forget) to the Police for the licence, my bank account took one look at that, then its current level from flying, and went and sat in the corner and cried.

• Like 1

how much per hour to water ski?

how much per hour to water ski?

For a comp $75 a day and you get about 1-2 mins actual ski time for that

Sking with your own boat hate too think of the cost fuel alone would be about 30 litres an hour

What does it cost you to license your car and get your drivers license for a year. If we apply the logic being spoken of here then what has changed in the last 30 years and why should we not be paying the fees we paid then for car ownership and registration? I personally consider approx $3.50 a week good value for the privilege of flying, owning a plane, insurance and a magazine. If you want to fly its worth it. If you don't want to fly then don't pay it. Your choice.

• Like 1

If the RAA licence was $1000 a year you would be happy with the "$3.00 a day, its still less than a cup of coffee" justification or if the licence was $4380 because "its still cheaper than a pack of cigarettes everyday"?

Tomo, do you feel like you have a voice in the RAA?

I haven't ever really pushed anything for RAA so I couldn't honestly answer that question, sorry. I will say I have never had any issues with them in regards to issuing my licenses etc... Haven't always got my mag but that's not their fault as far as I'm aware.

how many Tomos are there? He is doing GA now, so not really an RAA member

Yes I'm doing GA 'also' now, but I'm still a very active RAA member! Usually my RAA time is about the same if not more than my GA flying time.

What do we want changed? I had a person from CASA ask me one day if I had the chance, what would I like to change... I had to actually think about that for a minute, I mean we have it pretty good really, don't we?! I'm just glad that I can fly, yes there are many places for improvement, but to be honest I just think we need to get out more and enjoy ourselves rather than sit around whinging about what we don't have.

Is CASA to blame for the increase in aircraft operating costs? hardly...

Is RAA to blame for an increase in aircraft operating costs? No, it's the members that want the more expensive aircraft... (not all the members do, but we do have the choice to not go there)

Yes $185 is an expensive lot of money, but do we want something for nothing? I'm a GFA (Gliding Federation of Aus) member and it's a lot more than that.

• Like 9

You will find the cost structure of a lot of aviation products and services are heavily influenced by regulation, that's why the experimental/homebuilt market is so big in the US and an important part of the RAA. The downside of regulations is that apart from adding to the cost of production they tend to discourage a lot of innovation.

If you took out all the #19 planes from the RAA you would loose a 1/4 of the fleet and a good sized chunk of your pilots.

• Like 1

Is it expensive?

I am not currently flying and may not be able to for a while yet due to health and money, and thus not a paid member.

In the scheme of things it is actually cheap. Compared to having a bike for the rare blast, it is tiny.

Can things be better- yes.

I hate to think the original poster would forgo all that training and cost merely over a small increase in membership.

A far as membership numbers- yes, a lot more can be done to attract the young. The web site is a disgrace- the gen y do digital, first impressions are vital. Its via the web RAA will thrive or dwindle.

So much potential.......................

Phil

• Like 3

$185.00 is cheap when you consider the privileges members have, the magazine, public liability insurance etc.

Based on a mental tally of posts in this thread, I rest my case.

• Like 1

It is almost 12 months since I started my training and my RAA membership renewal has arived in the mail. The total due is $185. My first thoughts at this expence where "FARK that is expensive" So then I think about what I get for my money.

I pay as much for my ASIC which does nothing other than keep me legal.

kaz

Guest aussie carl

Far out that topic was easily expressed.

As I mentioned " Tipped the scales" There are other influencing factors. Like

would I continue flying after acheving my certificate enough that I am still proficient enough to fly safley.

edit ASIC

is it easy to hire a plane localy out side TWR hrs and what AC are available. (Not a fan of Jabaru)

Is me Mate Tony with the Sting going to stay in in the area for long. Cause flying by yourself is only entertaing for a short while.

Most of these and other factor have a cost associated with them and the costs seem to never end, having a young family, throwing money in the air so to speak needs to be conservitave while ever that red headed female K9 is in charge of our great land.

After mulling over some thoughts and posts today. Thanks Daz and OME. AND my wife wants me to keep training. (How good is that !)

KGWilson, thanks for pointing out it was only a $25 increase. I thought it was more, just that $185 is so very close to the $200 mark it sounds worse maybe than it is.

RAA have made some changes for the better this year and should be comended for the changes.

With the support from forum members family, instructor and freinds how could I not get my knuckles up off the ground, back on the left hand control columb and my head in the books. (study is not one of my favoutite past times) but I will perservere

Far out that topic was easily expressed.With the support from forum members family, instructor and freinds how could I not get my knuckles up off the ground, back on the left hand control columb and my head in the books. (study is not one of my favoutite past times) but I will perservere

Onya mate. I'm only 30 ks up the road. If you ever want a yarn or to check out an amateur build come & see me at Corindi Beach or at South Grafton Aero Club.

Carl,I'm not a memeber of the RAA at the moment because I'm not flying, but I beg you to reconsider your decision and view the membership fee in light of the membership fees you would pay for other recreational pursuits.

1. NSW Fishing Licence for 12 months: approx $75. No insurance cover for your fishing activity. No monthly magazine

2. Radio Controlled Flying club: $160 for insurance premioum then more for membership to a club. And most of your flying is done in a restricted space.

3. Golf Club. $Lots more

4. Motor Sports Club $?

5. General Aviation Pilot's Licence: $ + $ +$ + $ ad infinitum

With RAA membership you are getting insurance for your activities; an intermediary between you and the powers that regulate aviation; safety monitoring of the airplane types you fly; establishment of good operational standards etc, etc, etc

In the scheme of things, and considering value for money, I'd say that $185 per year is on the cheap side of pretty fair.

Old Man Emu

For those who have forgotten, Dazzza38 was post # 2, and the above was post #3 on this thread... You've both done us proud.

Wow, Darky, you sure tipped a bucket! Why don't you send those good ideas to the magazine editors; perhaps you could even write an article or two. We are the RAAus. We pay tiny fees for the privilege of being able to do what most mortals can only dream of. My union fees are over $600 a year, and I'm not sure what I get for that. To register and insure a car costs a thousand dollars or more; my plane costs $65. Our organisation relies on the dedication and morale of good people to keep it going and growing. Lets get real.

• Like 2

Guest davidh10
Far out that topic was easily expressed.As I mentioned " Tipped the scales" There are other influencing factors.... costs seem to never end, having a young family... but I will perservere

Onya Carl. I thought your head was in the wrong place, but a young family takes a lot of time and cost, so makes many recreational activities a challenge to pursue, as much from the spare time perspective as from cost. That is probably one of the main reasons for the age skew of RAA pilots.

On the other hand, going for a flight, even occasionally, can help put your head back in the right place. After all, when you are flying, it deserves all your attention. You can't afford to think about the woes of the world.

Enjoy the flying you can manage to do. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif