Question: Lowest altitude over towns

Ok, over "bush" or ocean/water the lowest is 500 feet AGL (or AWL) - unless you are landing.

But over towns......

1,000 or 1,500?

I remember 1,000 but someone said it is 1,500.

Hey, don't shoot me. I want to be sure.

Ok, over "bush" or ocean/water the lowest is 500 feet AGL (or AWL) - unless you are landing.But over towns......

1,000 or 1,500?

I remember 1,000 but someone said it is 1,500.

Hey, don't shoot me. I want to be sure.

It used to be 1500' FD, one of the byproducts of how CASA just keeps quietly changing things without master indexing the data.

People who fly weekly have no problem adjusting but the people who fly intermittently for recreation or come back to it after five years or so will always have a problem finding these needles in the haystacks..............and caSa is a SAFETY organization!

As an example, what radio terminology do you use around airfields "All stations XXXX?", "XXXX Traffic?" or "All stations XXX?"

Why would you want to fly at 1000' over a populated area. If you suffer an engine failure you need extra height to clear houses, plus flying low will alienate people who want to complain about the noise. Keep well clear and do us all a favour.

We should all be up to date with the CASA requirements to be legal. I am not sure that the quoted requirements have been passed into law yet. I thought they had not long ago been in the comment stage.

There was a lot of discussion about some of our aircraft flying over a town at all. I would as far as possible operate so as to be able to glide clear in the event of an engine failure, anyhow. This would hardly be possible into places like Bankstown. Taking off and landing is exempted.

The height was above any obstacle, (not AGL) once. Nev

Read carefully ...

..... the aeroplane must not be flownover a closely-settled area at a height:

(i) from which it cannot glide clear of the closely-settled area to a

suitable landing area; and

(ii) that is lower than 1 000 feet above ground level;

The minimum height is 1,000' but you must be at a height to be able to glide clear of the closely settled area to a suitable landing area. You may need to be considerably higher than 1,000' to comply.

• Like 1

1000' AGL over built up areas is legal for GA regardless... why do they have VFR routes at legal minimums if the risk is high? No one ends up pointing the plane at population when the fan stops so not an issue really (unless they saw Elvis).

The altitude creates a buffer to give the PIC time to manage the best outcome...

If you want to belt along at treetop level and whack a canary in the prop that needs an immediate landing, you probably have about 3 secs to get your sh!t in order and carry it out. But I digress... I thought I saw Elvis...

• Like 2

1000' AGL over built up areas is legal for GA regardless... why do they have VFR routes at legal minimums if the risk is high? No one ends up pointing the plane at population when the fan stops so not an issue really (unless they saw Elvis)....

Interesting isn't it, there is no glide clear height in CARs to my knowledge for GA and how could there be operating in CTA over 'built up' areas, but RAA are not permitted in CTA and so perhaps that is why CAO 95-55 (compliments of Camster) states : see blue underlined ...

7 Flight conditions .......

(h) in the case of an aeroplane to which this Order applies by virtue of

subparagraph 1.2 (b), ©, (f) or (g) — the aeroplane must not be flown

over a closely-settled area at a height:

(i) from which it cannot glide clear of the closely-settled area to a

suitable landing area; and

(ii) that is lower than 1 000 feet above ground level;

• Like 1

.... If you want to belt along at treetop level and whack a canary in the prop that needs an immediate landing, you probably have about 3 secs to get your sh!t in order and carry it out. But I digress... I thought I saw Elvis...

I have it on good authority that Elvis has left the building... 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gifjive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Interesting isn't it, there is no glide clear height in CARs to my knowledge for GA and how could there be operating in CTA over 'built up' areas, but RAA are not permitted in CTA and so perhaps that is why CAO 95-55 (compliments of Camster) states : see blue underlined ...

The new proposed CASR's part 91.295 fix that. They make it an offence to fly at other than the higher of theminimum heights listed in the schedule (eg 1000' above a populous area) and the minimum safe height which is itself defined as the minimum height from which an emergency landing can be conducted without endangering persons or property on the ground or water. http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/parts/091/download/casr91_consultdraft.pdf

Another fantastic no-brainer from CASA legals who obviously do not fly GA. If I fly from Coldstream to Albert Park, for example, below the CTA step at 2500' and have an engine failure somewhere along the way. I am going to come down in a populous area and someone (especially me) or something (especially my aeroplane) is going to get seriously hurt. If I survive, I cop a fine of 50 penalty units. Great!!!

The CASR effectively means, for example, you can't fly VFR into Essendon from any direction other than north using the reporting points scattered around the outside of the CTA, for example, without risking prosecution.

And how about city orbits at 1500"? Where do you go if the engine stops over the MCG or Eastern Freeway (don't even suggest it!)?

kaz

The new CASR's don't change these rules - its been 1000 ft with the glide requirement for many years.

The usual consideration when flying anywhere - where will you go if the engine stops. Based on recent info, kaz, drop the Auster gently onto the verandah of a house and tumble onto the back lawn then walk away from it.

• Like 1

The new CASR's don't change these rules - its been 1000 ft with the glide requirement for many years.The usual consideration when flying anywhere - where will you go if the engine stops. Based on recent info, kaz, drop the Auster gently onto the verandah of a house and tumble onto the back lawn then walk away from it.

So long as you have the owners permission. 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan

Guest Howard Hughes
And how about city orbits at 1500"? Where do you go if the engine stops over the MCG or Eastern Freeway (don't even suggest it!)?

Melborne is an easy one, there are a plethora of parks and golf courses around Melbourne.

The new CASR's don't change these rules - its been 1000 ft with the glide requirement for many years.The usual consideration when flying anywhere - where will you go if the engine stops. Based on recent info, kaz, drop the Auster gently onto the verandah of a house and tumble onto the back lawn then walk away from it.

Your solution DJP would have the streets around MMB look extremely untidy. I'll just keep on flying fom one piece of green to the next.

But have a look at para 3.11 in the AOPA submission and you will see the sneaky difference...

http://www.aopa.com.au/assets/118/AOPA_Response_Part_91_Consultation_Draft_13MAY11.pdf

kaz

• Like 1

I'm still an AOPA (Aust,) member. reading that, I wish all pilots were. Nev

Wouldn't it be nice if legislators such as CASA could employ people to write their legislation with the same foresight and common sense as those responsible for that AOPA document.

• Like 3