Please Advise Server Problems

Admin

Hi All

A third party software company has been installing some new software on our server starting from yesterday (Monday) afternoon and I know I have been having issues with the site being down at times and other things however if I went to another PC it would be ok or even accessing it by my phone.

I need to know if anyone else has been experiencing issues with the site being down etc in the last 24hrs so I can advise the software vendor of what types of issues we are experiencing...your help in this matter would be extremely appreciated...thanks

Site was 95% offline all day yesterday, logged in or not. All links from Google dead also.

Well that would be a problem related to you as it was fully operational right up to late yesterday afternoon and it was only then that work was started

Ah. That explains the problem I had yesterday. I had a connection timeout around 8.30pm last night. Didn't worry me, since I'd just finished on catching up with the forums.

had a small problem this morning when the page would not load correctly. only a few of the forums came up and no banner on top. seems ok now.

Yes, I have removed the 3rd party software app PLUS, I have just engaged a server management company (another $30 a month...this site seems a bottomless pit of expense) who are currently "hardening" the server and changing some things to hopefully make it more stable for extra software that I want to add to the site for you.

Please keep the server outage reports coming so I can ascertain when things start to become stable again...thanks

How to make a small fortune in aviation support:Create a website 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

OME

You're not wrong there OME

I have just enabled the Aircraft Pilots "One To One" Instant Chat Feature and crossed fingers it seems to be working ok...well, it is for me and then again if you are reading this then it musn't be causing any issues for you by being turned on...but if you are not reading this then it must be causing you problems so please let me know 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Has been on and off from yesterday evening. Last dummy spit was about 11:04 am EST when none of the avatars or banner came up, a refresh and all I got was a black screen, then Problem loading page / Connection has timed out. All looks OK now.

Sue

I would prefer stability and no changes over beta testing new features

But that won't pay the bills...provide greater benefits increases usage which results in organisations wishing to support the site, which provides income, which provides resources to acquire more features, which etc etc etc...the alternative is I go broke paying for something for everyone else which results in the site closing so everyone just moves somewhere else and they go broke broke and again etc etc etc

Another alternative FT is you give me $3,000 a year just to pay for the hosting costs and then another $x for the etc etc etc

I am hoping the extra features will result in an income by providing features that benefit users without any advertising or user pays system...imagine that, a whole new way of web site income to pay the bills by providing more rather then plastering a site with advertising...more on how this is going to be done later but an all-round win win for everyone initiated by "change" to the norms 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Has been on and off from yesterday evening. Last dummy spit was about 11:04 am EST when none of the avatars or banner came up, a refresh and all I got was a black screen, then Problem loading page / Connection has timed out. All looks OK now.Sue

This is not good news Sue...it was at that time I turned the 1 to 1 chat on...if it has a dummy spit again please let me ASAP on 03 9444-8025...it is either settling down or there is a problem...thanks

Guys, I think you two FT and Ig have missed the point...there is no site without me and money...imagine if every forum web site owner said I am not going to pay money out of my pocket any more unless changes are made to produce an income to pay for it...if money wasn't poured into this site, the chances are you wouldn't have such a great highly contributed resource for you to use...before you came along Ig up to $10,000 a year was spent to create what you enjoy using now through advertising, server costs, purchasing of software etc etc etc, all elements that made this site as popular as it is today. Several sites started out the same time as this one and are now gone for example RecreationalFlying.net (which I ended up purchasing the domain name for from the then owner...more cost).

So Ig, it is all well and good to say no change but if those changes are what may provide a secure future for the site, for you to use, and free for you to use, and perhaps allow me to stop having to pay out money for you to use the site and hopefully allow me to get something back for the last 8 years, then do you think "who cares about Apple and Ipod" etc. Stability will always end up coming as we saw from all the old vBulletin bugs that were fixed one by one as I was told about them, and all the bugs that have been fixed between then and now with Xenforo and their bug fix releases.

Ig, feel free to make your first donation towards the site costs by clicking the Donate button, others have, as another $300 is due in about 2 weeks again...and then another $300 a month after that, and again and again...

This site WILL become feature rich for Aircraft Pilots and pay for itself and be stable...that is what change is all about...it's all about achieving something rather then nothing!

Can I just share my experience? I don't like chat because if I ask a a question and someone posts an answer that answer is lost when I close the chat. For me personally, chat is a waste of my time. Where as, if I post a thread in a forum, the answers are just as instant but they are there forever, which is where the value in forums lie. I think would be happier with the site if it was a bit more like wikipedia and had more reference material.

FT, the reference material etc is a part of what I refer to as extra features that I want to bring here but that is only one part of it as just that would suit you, and thanks for the feedback by the way, but other users want other features...out of all the site users only a handful use the chat room but that is a feature here for them, and it's here IF you ever wanted to use it, even just once...the same goes for other features and ALL the features added up make up the whole site and delivery to ALL needs.

An example is the one to one chat, useless to anyone not owning an aircraft but if you do and your distributor is on line, then they may think that is a great feature. The same could be said a for a private ABC Club Usergroup...totally useless for anyone not in that club or any club for that matter but every user that creates their own club usergroup section it would be great to have private chats about meeting at the club this week etc.

It all adds up to hopefully provide a better user experience