Sore back?

nathan_c

So I have recently been doing some lessons in a jabiru j170, and by the end of the lesson my lower back can be a bit sore, does anyone else have this issue? Is a cushion likely to fix this for me or should be chasing a better solution?

You might be tensing up, or it could be the position you are sitting in. The only thing I recommend is develop you own exercise regime and keep supple. Keep all the vertibrae in you back moving. Don't lift and twist at the same time. Nev

I did notice it more after circuit bashing for a while and I felt myself trying t fight the lean of the aircraft (which I've never done in a glider, but I'm doing in the Jab for some reason). So maybe that could be the cause?

I also suffer from back ache and prefer to be more upright in my seat rather than raked backwards so for every aircraft I have owned I use a wedge shaped piece of foam which is the width and height of the seat itself, this is covered not just bare foam. When I say wedge shaped the thickness of the foam is (in the case of the Morgan Sierra) two inches at the bottom and 4 inches at the top. This pushes my bottom two inches forward so I can reach the rudder peddles better, and my upper torso moves forward 4 inches which puts me in a more upright position which I find eases my back pain and gives me a much better view over the nose of the aircraft. My Son uses this also for the same reasons.

Another slight bonus with a low wing aircraft is I get a better view ahead of the wing.

Alan.

I seem to get a sore back in a Jab after a few hours, always fixed with a bit of a cushion on the lower back area. As there isn't much of a cushion on a moulded Jab seat, some cushionage is a pretty good fix.

Or wear your glider chute! na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

Who's sitting on their Fat wallet.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif LoL

You could be right on the money there spacesailor, even if its full of bills etc.

My chiro always went crook on me, because i'd drive around all day with my wallet in my back pocket. He said most tradies do it, and it actually twists your pelvis out of alignment. This then needs adjustment before he can loosen the other bits up.

My backs giving me grief right now, says he who has just removed his wallet from his back pocket again.

Idiots like me don't always heed his advise for more than a week or two.

• 1 month later...
You could be right on the money there spacesailor, even if its full of bills etc.My chiro always went crook on me, because i'd drive around all day with my wallet in my back pocket. He said most tradies do it, and it actually twists your pelvis out of alignment. This then needs adjustment before he can loosen the other bits up.

My backs giving me grief right now, says he who has just removed his wallet from his back pocket again.

Idiots like me don't always heed his advise for more than a week or two.

YEP WALLET, i have a lower back injury and having a wallet in the back pocket is bad news really quick, put it in the front pocket more secure, also the high density foam under the cover in the J120 works for me done a few 8hr trips without any probs, hope it works for you.

YEP WALLET, i have a lower back injury and having a wallet in the back pocket is bad news really quick, put it in the front pocket more secure, also the high density foam under the cover in the J120 works for me done a few 8hr trips without any probs, hope it works for you.

I don't have enough money for a wallet Steve. We must catch up soon and look at the Lightwing. I'll be at the club Sat morning. Hopefully see you there.

Guest Andys@coffs

So I reckon in my J230 I can generally cover the ground distance in 1/3 the time of a car....but at the same time sitting for 1 hr in a jabiru seat and you feel like you spent 3 hours on a hard pine chair......

Jabiru migh have a good value for money aircraft but surely they could have spent a few $ more on some seats that have a degree of comfort. I have a 6hr+ duration but there is no way I could sit for that long on what they provided. I added some hard foam and a thin layer of memory foam and while better still has a long way to go.

Andy

I seem to get a sore back in a Jab after a few hours, always fixed with a bit of a cushion on the lower back area. As there isn't much of a cushion on a moulded Jab seat, some cushionage is a pretty good fix.Or wear your glider chute! na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

Tomo,

Your like a drovers dog mate all skin and ribs, put a but of cushioning on your toosh mate, be like us middle aged blokes and get yourself some human padding lol.

Alf

• Like 1

Jabiru seats are very basic and far from comfortable for any lengthy period of time.This is in keeping with the entire design and construction philosophy; keep it basic and spare no expense to keep the cost (and weight) down.

The best fix is a custom set of seat-cushions from Oregon Air in the US. However, these are not cheap. Simpler fixes involve trying various shapes and sizes of cushions (making them yourself, borrowing them etc) until you find the size and shape that works for you. When you do, a lambswool covering works well for both summer and winter.

Purists and pragmatists will add the weight of the additional cushions to the aircraft's weight for load calculations.

• Like 1

I have fitted lambs wool seat covers to our J160 and even with my lower back problem I have had no problems with 4hr flights, I agree with you all the standard seat covering gives me a pain within an hour of test flying any other Jabiru.

Adrian:plane: