Allowing the pilot to make his own choice

Herm

Just wanted to see if others have faced this problem I have recently finished my Jabiru and am still in the 25 hour bedding in faze. I have done 3 hours and just had a rear end seal fail as well as some rough running issues. I have had a friend assist in the build and have had an allowance made to allow him to fly with me to monitor the engine. I have also only done 2 hours on type and come from a trike background. my last flight in the Jab gave me some roll to the right so I have now made control adjustments as well as fixing the rear end seal and rough running problem. I have adjusted tappits as the have shown signs of bedding in and some gaps were less than 5 thou..

With all this in mind and my low hours on type I have decided to wait for very calm conditions to test all my changes without the worry of adding another pressure of dealing with lumpy conditions should I still have problems. However I am getting pressure from my friend ans others to just go for it and stop worrying so much ( it will be fine). I thought as owner and pilot in command I was the one who made that call. Why is it that other pilots think its fine to place pressure on others when I feel in my mind they are careless. I came away from the airfield today wanting to separate myself from some of my fellow flyers and to deal with my bedding in stage without them around at all. Have others had this problem, and how do you deal with it. I didn't feel I need to always justify myself and my choices when it's me that's put out the cash on a plane and have the most to loose when things go wrong.

• Like 1

I havnt dealt with this problem, but in that scenario I personally would not fly unless I was comfortable. Who cares if you are getting pressure from others to take the aeroplane up, your the PIC its your responsibility to be comfortable and willing to go flying, not theirs.

• Like 1

It's a common problem mate people will put pressure on you to go flying just to give them something to look at. Never allow people to pressure you to go flying against your better judgement. Stick to your guns, go flying when it feels right for you.

Richard.

• Like 1

Why is it that other pilots think its fine to place pressure on others when I feel in my mind they are careless.

They may or may not be careless Herm, but you are absolutely right in that you have invested the dollars and have the most to lose. They might be somewhat more cautious if it was their dollars on the line. You are PIC, so you make the decisions.

• Like 1

Herm:

I can relate to your situation exactly. I've just made the transition from trike to 3-axis and built my own plane. I NEVER fly unless I feel comfortable and confident in myself and the conditions. I know my limitations as a pilot and respect my own boundaries. I decide when I will stay in, or go out of my comfort zone.

Flying is fun, but it is serious stuff. Making a bad mistake or getting out of your depth can kill you. You're the "skipper" now, YOU say what goes and what doesn't...end of story.

BTW, on the few occasions that I did get pressure to fly, I just said in as lighthearted manner as I could manage "When it's your airplane then you get to decide."

• Like 3

Herm, the fact that you are aware of this means that you are winning. You are in control. And follow your gut. There is definately peer pressure from pilots, and also uninformed advice, mainly from stangers you meet on airfields. Very helpful to lend you a tie down or give you a lift into town, but they arn't the PIC.

On the weekend I tried to fly to near Bourke and turned back after Goondiwindi. Weather that wasn't on the forecast or the rain radar got in the way. I got all sorts of text messages telling me how I can to to x or y and get round, and it did affect me, but I used my gut to tell me something was wrong so I aimed for the lightest patch of sky and went there and then home safely. In hindsight the weather was way worse than expected on the weekend, so I was right. But no one else is owning up to being wrong.

Stick to your principles and you will be right!

• Like 3

Better to be safe than sorry mate. If you don't like the conditions, then don't go. Anyone who puts pressure on you is an idiot!

It goes both ways of course. I have seen with my own eyes what can happen when someone goes for a fly when they were warned about the conditions. Unfortunately for the pilot concerned he was not the most competent and wouldn't take into account what some experienced pilots said. No one was hurt but it ended in tears!

• Like 1

Thanks all for that I feel a little better about it all. I am now going to finish my bedding in stage of my plane on my own when others are not about. When I am happy with its setup and running I will be in a better frame of mind with the aircraft. I will then allow my friends to be a part of my flying and will feel better about others flying in it with me.. Outside pressure seems to just make me want to pack up and go home till another day. I like to enjoy my flying on my terms at my own level. I think others should do the same. I thought that is what human factors was all about.. I expect that other fellow flyers would adopt the same attitudes. However I now understand that is not always the case and Ego's seem to be high on the order.. Thanks Mardy

Herm, You`re on the right track! Peer pressure almost got me into trouble,many year ago!

Old story but still relivant today.

At that time there were only a couple of Ultralight aircraft up here in the Cairns area and one of them was mine,however, there were plenty of "want to be pilots" and our club was having a get together here on my property.

It was extremely windy but everyone wanted to see some flying so a couple of the guys strated putting pressure on me to get up there and show them what it was all about. I didn`t have many flying hours and I realy didn`t want to fly in the conditions we were having but I gave in and up I went.

On the upwind leg at about 400 feet AGL I got myself into the turbulence from the lee of the hill ahead of me and all hell broke loose. I realy thought it was all over for me! I remained in controll but, man! Was I frightened!

When I got back on the ground I swore that I would never, ever, be influenced by peer pressure again and I never have.

Frank.

Guest Howard Hughes

I'm with Neil, I would be getting some advice from people with more experience, importantly ones that you respect and trust! If your current circle can't fill this requirement, then look further afield!

only done 2 hours on type get out off the bloody seat and get someone with more time on type neil

I have done lots more than 2 hours in 3 axis as this is what I learnt before trikes. However I have only done two hours in a jabiru after flying a Morgans Sierra. It was more about not pushing things when so many changes have been done to the aircraft. Oh and the pressures from others. I guess my story may ring with others given this kind of pressure from others.

herm i have flown three diferent storches as well as three diferent texans as well a couple of jabs

two hrs on type is nowhere near enough time to test fly as i want to meet you and shake your hand not meet a tomb stone

sorry about being so blunt my freind

i do get your point about presure and others trying to get their rocks off that is why i fly mostly by my self neil

If you have an exception to have a co pilot then I agree make sure you have an experienced jab man, woman, next to you. They are slippery little suckers. And def stay in your comfort zone. I find most who criticize are often very average pilots.

Herm, don't be so worried. Just go for it, what is the worst that can happen .................. That's right, just remembered what the worst outcome was, on second thought do what ever makes you feel safe to avoid that 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Remember that if you get pressured into a flight, then crash the aircraft, it will be those very same people who where pushing you that suddenly turn around and wax lyrical about how they NEVER would fly that way and how incredibly insensible a pilot you are!

I have found myself, on only a few occasions luckily and in my slightly younger years, sitting behind the controls of a leisurely flying vehicle when I really did not want to be there but had been talked into it by other pilots. It's a very unpleasant feeling when that wonderful machine of joy feels like it has huge snarly monster, with lashing teeth, that wants to chew you up and spit out the tatters of what is left on the other side.

I have since made resolutions to only ever fly when I myself have intended upon flying.

They keep telling me what does not kill you only makes you stronger, yet when I recall those situations I go weak at the knees 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

It may very well be safe to fly and each pilot is different, but ultimately your the PIC and if you dont feel right then don't fly. The safety of the plane is one thing, you have to feel it's safe within yourself as well. You did the right thing!

Guest aussieaviatrix

I haven't been flying all that long (only about a year and half) but pretty much as long as I've been learning I've had several points drilled into me, one of which is: "You are the pilot in command -- if you don't think you should be flying then DON'T. You have to make that decision." Or words to that effect :) Some days I just need a kick in the pants from my instructor those times when I'm simply feeling underconfident blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif But usually if I have doubts about weather conditions or something I won't fly solo -- and I feel comfortable with that, also knowing that it's what I've been taught. And it's nice to see it reinforced here!003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif