Great Eastern Flyin - Jan 2013

Bubbleboy

Am thinking of dragging the family up to this event at Evans head in Jan 2013 and was wondering if it is worth it? I have given NATFLY the flick for next year after this years disappointment. Is there camping onsite and does it usually get a good turn out? I know its been washed out a few times I think but I doubt we will get that this time around.

Keen to hear others input. Sounds like a nice spot!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Am thinking of dragging the family up to this event at Evans head in Jan 2013 and was wondering if it is worth it? I have given NATFLY the flick for next year after this years disappointment. Is there camping onsite and does it usually get a good turn out? I know its been washed out a few times I think but I doubt we will get that this time around.Keen to hear others input. Sounds like a nice spot!

The town supports it, the folks are friendly; Why not? The last couple of times it was held Matt Hall turned up doing some joy flights and generally mixing with the crowd. The organisers are all voulunteers and try really hard; a bit like NatFly at Narromine was 10 years ago. My two bobs worth; if you can make it, do it.

Camping under the wing is allowed and plenty of friendly locals to give a lift into town etc.

JG

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed the ones I've attended, great locals, lovely little town, scenic flying, nice beaches.... And there's been a tremendous amount of effort gone into trying to save the historical airfield from the developers and the local Council's determination to sell it off so a show of support would be invaluable.

Hope to see you all there, Alan

Yep, I'm hopefully arranging my Coffs Harbour family Christmas visit so that I can go to EH for a day or two (but haven't told the wife of my true motives:augie: ).

Keen to see what the state of play is with regards to saving airfield/preventing inappropriate development too.

Chris

This was sent to me recently by a friend who lives near Byron Bay and who knows of my interest in the Evans Head Airfield, it starts out sounding very good but read on...

Evans Head aerodrome sold

Chris Dobney

Richmond Valley Council yesterday completed the long-expected sale of a large tract of Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome to the Airpark Consortium, led by ‘keen aviator’ Peter Lynch.

The council has not disclosed a price for the sale, which was confirmed by GM John Walker yesterday.

He told local media the sale came with conditions and the Airpark ‘would act as an economic and social stimulus not only for Evans Head, but for the entire Richmond Valley’.

He added the heritage value of the former WWII training ground ‘will not be compromised’.

‘Part of the sale process includes recognising the heritage agreement, making sure that money is invested in the museum, preserving many elements of the airport,’ he told ABC radio this morning.

The consortium recently scored a centrepiece display for its Airpark Heritage Centre in the form of a retired F-111.

The Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome Committee (EHMAC) is supportive of aviation use of the iconic site. The veterans who served there have always wanted it kept as a ‘working airfield’, a ‘living memorial’ to their fallen comrades.

But the sale also paves the way for a second sale of a packet of land to RSL Lifecare for the construction of a retirement village, which was approved by the Joint Regional Planning Panel in March this year.

The second, much more controversial sale, is vociferously opposed by many members of the community.

The land was previously transferred from the federal government to the council with significant strings attached, some of which some fear have been cut in the rush to establish the retirement village.

Local aviation enthusiasts have said that building housing so close to the runway could cause serious problems with noise abatement and could ultimately spell the end of aviation at the aerodrome.

EHMAC president Richard Gates told Echonetdaily this morning, ‘our greatest concern is that the purchaser of the aerodrome has given in to conditions of sale that will compromise aviation function in the long term, for example acquiesced to conditions regarding noise to accommodate the inappropriately located RSL LifeCare proposal.’

A sticking point in the negotiations has been allowing RSL Lifecare to sell 24 additional blocks of land for private residences adjacent to the airport.

‘The Office of Airspace Regulation refused to approve a Fly Neighbourly Advice for the Aerodrome because residential areas were already too close. The community was never consulted about the noise mechanism Richmond Valley Council now has in place to look after the RSL LifeCare proposal, a proposal which is costing ratepayers many millions of dollars,’ Mr Gates told Echonetdaily.

‘We also have some concern about existing users and owners of hangars on the site. We hope the sale of the land will not lead to their being forced off. They must be accommodated in any sale deal and the airfield must remain open for public use.

‘It is disappointing that the conditions of the sale and the sale price have been kept from the public. This is after all public property and why shouldn’t ratepayers be entitled to know what price the aerodrome was sold for? he queried.

Greens MP David Shoebridge told the JRPP meeting in March, ‘if this development is approved, it is almost certain that pressure from future residents will see the council moving to restrict flights at the aerodrome, or even see it closed’.

‘The cost to local ratepayers of cleaning up contamination [at the site] is estimated to be over $4 million. This amounts to a multimillion-dollar gift to the developer,’ he told the panel.

A council watcher told Echonetdaily the cost to ratepayers could be as high as $12 to $15 million, including forgone income and subsidy for the land sale.

Well, I hope to attend this year.

Last year the drive nearly killed me - kinda.

10 hours.

Yuck.

Then the rain.

Then the drive back.

Luckily I staggered that over a few days.

But this year I do hope to be flying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was about to start a thread of "Who's going to Evans Head 4-6 Jan" & found it here. I will be going, driving as my plane isn't finished yet. It would be good to catch up with any other Rec Flying Forumites going. I'll be there on Saturday. I will probably have my Grafton Aero Club cap on so if you see that say G'day. If you are unlucky it will probably be me.

Kevin

Alas it may not be that good for me.

As I only have the SAT/SUN off work, it is a long way to go.

It is a TEN HOUR drive at worst.

Flying (including getting to the plane, packing etc) it wouldn't be much less.

1.5 hours to drive to the airport, .5 packing etc., YWOL - YPMQ, refuel/Lunch, YPMQ - Evan Head.....

That's a long way for an overnight stay.

I will be there with bells on, and with my plane to, that said Its a 15 min flight for me so I have no excuse. The line up thins year is looking fantastic, matt hall will be back, his part of the Evans head air park team so I would be amazed if he were to miss it. I'll be with Wayne Fischer helping him out for the day if anyone wants to come say g'day

Alas it may not be that good for me.As I only have the SAT/SUN off work, it is a long way to go.

It is a TEN HOUR drive at worst.

Flying (including getting to the plane, packing etc) it wouldn't be much less.

1.5 hours to drive to the airport, .5 packing etc., YWOL - YPMQ, refuel/Lunch, YPMQ - Evan Head.....

That's a long way for an overnight stay.

yeah, but its still more fun..

and you get to fly....

Um, yes, but the time/cost/enjoyment ratio isn't exactly good.

I am not going to spend 1.5 hours driving to the gong, then fly 6/7 hours, only to arrive about mid-day Sat and then have to do the same on Sunday with the only advantage I can leave a bit later than I had to on Saturday.

Am thinking of dragging the family up to this event at Evans head in Jan 2013 and was wondering if it is worth it? I have given NATFLY the flick for next year after this years disappointment. Is there camping onsite and does it usually get a good turn out? I know its been washed out a few times I think but I doubt we will get that this time around.Keen to hear others input. Sounds like a nice spot!

Hey Scotty,

It is great value and great fun, you can camp on the airfield. Great folks there too, they do a sterling job of looking after you.

I went two years ago and had a ball. You gotta go and take that young fella with you.

I don't think I can make it this year, but haven't given up yet.

The hours logic will never add up in aviation- even in commercial ops sometimes- 1 hr drive to airport- 45-1.5 hr wait, parking, baggage, cues to check in, security, flight, diversion/delays, -wait for luggage- cab to town- etc etc, etc.

We fly because we can and we love it- doing it personally is the best when you can. The rest-well it's just cream on an aviation love sandwich. You either eat it with pleasure or walk away and go to Macca's.

Look out for "Jaffa" and I- we'll both be there if the weather says so!010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

• Like 3

Hey Scotty,It is great value and great fun, you can camp on the airfield. Great folks there too, they do a sterling job of looking after you.

I went two years ago and had a ball. You gotta go and take that young fella with you.

I don't think I can make it this year, but haven't given up yet.

Hi David...I wont be there now as I have got permission from her in doors to go to Classic Fighters at Omaka at Easter! Better not push my luck!

Scotty