Post picture(s) of your aircraft

Hongie

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1983 lightwing gr 582 serial 004 , The forth factory built lightwing[ATTACH=full]20095[/ATTACH]

Hi Flyerme that radiator looks like it would produce a lot of drag do you need it on that angle.

cheers Geoff.

Here's my baby, should be doing the test flying in mid January once I deal with a magnetized airframe!

Thats the biggest over wing fuel tank I have seen.... must be fairly draggy....lol

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Okay,,,magnetized airframe, the guys doing the instrument 8 and compass swing called me to say the airframe is magnetized and the compass is nicely point approx south regardless of where the aircraft is pointing!

So I did some research and so far have come up with the following ( if anyone has an EDUCATED opinion I'm keen to hear it) ,

The airframe can get magnetized by welding mostly ,but also by the engine,battery and various things that make or use electricity, the way to find the offending bit ( cause not every tube ,component ) is to use a paper clip on some cotton if it sticks it magnetic! As it stands I haven't had a chance to get out to the airfield, with Christmas and all,but I've been told the firewall can be a problem and the LAME says a few of the tubes around the windscreen are "magnetic", so at the moment I'm waiting for a thing called a degaussing wand , I have to remove some instruments( not sure which ones yet) and then rub the wand over the offending tube/part and then slowly step away from the airframe,

So that's it , hopefully it works cause the alternative is to have a remote reading compass

Met

Hi Flyerme that radiator looks like it would produce a lot of drag do you need it on that angle.cheers Geoff.

miss leading picture,,its actually curved like this ) looking down from above ,The ex owner lost the spinner and as he did not know the lightwing 582 requires a spinner for cooling ,so he had Tony Hayes fit this curved radiator. Come with a very detailed log book containing much writings about work and such from Tony Hayes.Tony even wrote a thread on here about how good she performed and handled and I must agree with him(although the thruster remained his number 1)

.Cruise @5400rpm 70knts 14ltrs per hr ..Fuel 53ltrs how ever I Cruise at 5200rpm 65knts 12 lts per hour.

miss leading picture,,its actually curved like this ) looking down from above ,The ex owner lost the spinner and as he did not know the lightwing 582 requires a spinner for cooling ,so he had Tony Hayes fit this curved radiator. Come with a very detailed log book containing much writings about work and such from Tony Hayes.Tony even wrote a thread on here about how good she performed and handled and I must agree with him(although the thruster remained his number 1).Cruise @5400rpm 70knts 14ltrs per hr ..Fuel 53ltrs how ever I Cruise at 5200rpm 65knts 12 lts per hour.

why not put a spinner back on it, would look nice I think.

• Like 2

We had Degaussing wands in the RAAF. I had a problem at home .I put my $2000 Krix speakers to close to my Sony TV. My TV got a green magnetic blur near the edges.I moved the speakers away from the TV . I still had a magnetic green blur, but not as bad as when the speakers where too close. The degaussing wand sorted it out.

• Like 1

Okay,,,magnetized airframe, the guys doing the instrument 8 and compass swing called me to say the airframe is magnetized and the compass is nicely point approx south regardless of where the aircraft is pointing!So I did some research and so far have come up with the following ( if anyone has an EDUCATED opinion I'm keen to hear it) ,

The airframe can get magnetized by welding mostly ,but also by the engine,battery and various things that make or use electricity, the way to find the offending bit ( cause not every tube ,component ) is to use a paper clip on some cotton if it sticks it magnetic! As it stands I haven't had a chance to get out to the airfield, with Christmas and all,but I've been told the firewall can be a problem and the LAME says a few of the tubes around the windscreen are "magnetic", so at the moment I'm waiting for a thing called a degaussing wand , I have to remove some instruments( not sure which ones yet) and then rub the wand over the offending tube/part and then slowly step away from the airframe,

So that's it , hopefully it works cause the alternative is to have a remote reading compass

Met

Another thing you may consider (definitely one from left field) would be to put your fuselage on a trailer and drive as close as you can to a decent sized mains stepdown transformer - ie 22kv to 415V three phase (at ground level). Passing close to the transformer, then driving away slowly should give enough stray magnetic field available and at enough strength to degauss your fuselage.

I seriously doubt that a normal degaussing wand will have enough "kick" to do the job if your fuselage subframe is made from chrome moly steel (highly magnetic and likes to stay that way). Generally they are only good for light metal structures such as the aforementioned mesh in a colour CRT.

A source of appropriate strength magnetic degaussing fields may be available at your local university too. (good project for electrical engineering/mechanical engineering students?)

• Like 1

Another thing you may consider (definitely one from left field) would be to put your fuselage on a trailer and drive as close as you can to a decent sized mains stepdown transformer - ie 22kv to 415V three phase (at ground level). Passing close to the transformer, then driving away slowly should give enough stray magnetic field available and at enough strength to degauss your fuselage.I seriously doubt that a normal degaussing wand will have enough "kick" to do the job if your fuselage subframe is made from chrome moly steel (highly magnetic and likes to stay that way). Generally they are only good for light metal structures such as the aforementioned mesh in a colour CRT.

A source of appropriate strength magnetic degaussing fields may be available at your local university too. (good project for electrical engineering/mechanical engineering students?)

Not sure about the transformer, as its a complete aircraft, I've got a couple of wands coming so I'm hoping one will do the job, otherwise it's a remote reading compass, with the actual compass on a wing tip, any advice on which instruments need to be removed?