Post picture(s) of your aircraft

Hongie

Hi Alan

So I gather you didn't have any specific requirement to have it fit within RAA specs then..if it was higher in stall etc you would just go GA instead. It would be good to be able to have that option but some of us just can not get that medical. So long as it is comfy for the 2 POB and also flys safe and well what more can you really ask for.

Well I am struggling with the not smoking but I am sure I will overcome it the longer I go. It also makes it easier when you are not leaving home so can't go and get any smokes anyway. The mrs went out this arvo and I got her to get some sugar free stuff lollies to suck on to take the urge away when required. I actually have been feeling like crap most of today..very light headed and a bit unstable in balance so have spent most of the day laying down. I feel better this afternoon. I think I must have over did it yesterday. I spent a lot of the day here in the workshop doing some cleaning up and went for a short shopping trip with the mrs. I just have to learn to keep things maybe a bit slower

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=full]20377[/ATTACH]Australian designed & built. Unfortunately not an LSA......

Now that's a face only another could love!!!!

Have to admit it looks like fun though.

Better from this angle[ATTACH=full]20378[/ATTACH]

had a fly of one of these in YHBA , I'd heard there was one down this way, bit of an odd duck but awesome view. A mate of mine is a test pilot for seabird , I'd heard the company was in a bit of drama ,haven't heard the out come though

Met

image.jpg.1054ce386bbbb6f50f88829132e70fec.jpg

1967018751_EdgleyOptica.jpg.11cc00e7f8349bb5ba3b47fb8c25ac3a.jpg The front bit looks not too dissimilar to the "OPTICA" which was around about fifteen years ago, very helicpotery frontal design, full bubble frontage. . . although it had a twin boom with jointed horizontal tailplane and internal ducted fan thrust in a pusher config too. . . . was intended for Police surveillance, being costed at around one fifth of the cost of a helicopter. . . . it could fly comfortably at around fifty mph ( If I remember correctly. . .) and some UK area police forces were very interested at the time. . . . but it all went pear shaped when the company got into financial difficulties, and the hangar containing four aircraft and all the tooling mysteriously burned down one night. . . . Don't think there are any examples left. . . . If I can find a pic I'll post it.

Phil.

* * * * * * *Editied to add* * * * * * *

Well,. . . . surprise surprise. . . . I just dialled OPTICA into WIKI whatsit, and the whole story came up, ( It didn't the last time I looked !!!!!!!!!!!!! ) apparently, they made 21 of the things but one crashed, killing a couple of Police personnel,. . . . and after that it all died down a bit. . . . . anyway, if you're interested, look at EDGLEY OPTICA and read the damn thing yourselves ! Lovely looking aeroplane, whether there would be any interest from the great unwashed GA public, I dunno,. . . . great for aerial photography though ?. . . I'd love one to add to my aeroplane collection. . . . ( ! )

Two Opticas in Australia and both flying as far as I know. Some time after the fire Brooklands Aerospace took over and built some more. I got involved (marvellous working with Neville Duke) with Aerospace Technologies of Australia and imported G-BMPN (from memory).

• Informative 1

Nice, but how hot does that big bubble get? Great images on their site.

There are no less than 7 directable airvents and an opening window in the pilot door. Even in Melbourne 35 degrees it was OK. Can also be flown with top halves of doors removed - have done this for a little aerial photography outback.

• Informative 1

It doesnt sound like a aero engine sounds more like a modified car engine

I wonder if the duct creates a lesser ground noise footprint though, for the benefit of all those strange people who buy a house next to an airfield /airport and then complain about noisy aeroplanes. . . . . . .

this is one of the Opticas now based at YSBK

Thanks for that DJP, and thanks for the VID Ultralights . . . . . the engine sounds like a bagful of old spanners, but I guess that's down to the dynamic range of the mic on the videocam. . . . . .

Thanks for that DJP, and thanks for the VID Ultralights . . . . . the engine sounds like a bagful of old spanners, but I guess that's down to the dynamic range of the mic on the videocam. . . . . .

Same thoughts here. Most unusual sound on tick-over. Does it perhaps have anything to do with that protuberance behind the prop? For that matter, what is it and how is it attached?

Better from this angle[ATTACH=full]20378[/ATTACH]

I was actually at Qurindi one day finishing off a gyro lic, when that a/c flew in, it got my attention to say the least, a very different machine for sure.

IMG_0014.JPG.96c60ba781754658df03ee40439989d7.JPG

This is my favorite

128_2820.jpg.d8443b0adbc77d6155ee2670205ed7ba.jpg

This is my ol work horse, just unretired her.

mungrel1.jpg.98f74cd20068fccfa837a6114c6d1b72.jpg

This is my new fresh built last year work horse, hmm already got 1000hrs on the motor

Edit; sorry built 2 years ago, time flys sometimes 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

[ATTACH]20416[/ATTACH]This is my favorite

[ATTACH]20417[/ATTACH]

This is my ol work horse, just unretired her.

[ATTACH]20418[/ATTACH]

This is my new fresh built last year work horse, hmm already got 1000hrs on the motor

Edit; sorry built 2 years ago, time flys sometimes 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

The top gyro looks pretty slick. What make/model is that?

******* Late edit******** A friend of the Pilot's Brother has just told me that the French investigators are looking into the possibility of a lightning strike, as there was considerable turbulence on the day of the accident, as well as storm reports not far away. . . . They are also speculating about a fuel leak causing a build up of fumes in the airframe. No definitive report yet though.

<thread-drift>

Hi Phil, the BEA report has been published (http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2012/g-mp120629/pdf/g-mp120629.pdf) and it says that the aircraft showed damage consistent with a high positive G failure of the wings. They say that they discovered no signs of other sources of damage pre-impact. The theory seems to be that they may have encountered severe turbulence causing structural failure.

</thread-drift>