Natfly 2013 who is going?

I should be allowed to fly again at the end of February. I have been given permission by the she who must be obeyed to fly there this year. There are a few from Caboolture who are going to fly down and I am going to tag along for the experience.

How easy is it to get from the airfield back into town do they have shuttle buses and what time do they finish. I am quite happy to stay at the airfield and sleep there except I need power as I use a Cpap machine for sleeping so if I can get a powerpoint somewhere for the night I am happy to sleep there if not I may need to get a motel room I am happy either way but would prefer to stay at the airfield of course.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camping at the field is very good. Good facilities and some powered sites but they usually go pretty quickly. I camp there in unpowered. Shuttles running regularly. Not sure of times but often enough. Have reasonable food options there if you dont want to go in to town. The RSL does a reasonable feed in town. Rest of the eateries I have found to be pretty average.

Wont be going this year after last years debacle. Hope the Raa get there act together and give the organisers the support they need as a lot of effort goes in to organising it with minimal support from Raa.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Seriously thinking about going, camped last year ,hopefully it's a bit better, although I thought it was okay, I won't spend the whole weekend though, might look at doing a trip to somewhere on Sunday

Met

The Rec Flying Site was selling tents last year for $14.99... I bought one there and at that price left it behind after the show with another camper who drove to save space in Maj's Lightwing.

I volunteered with the organizers and would thoroughly recommend the experience... the marshal station is airconditioned and a great place to escape the heat after you have put in some time helping... and it is a LOT of fun with a great bunch of people.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I walked into town and back a couple of evenings rather than wait for the bus (ok, so I'm impatient, but I also like walking). Pretty easy, and really beautiful at night with the country sky overhead.

Camping at the field is very good. Good facilities and some powered sites but they usually go pretty quickly. I camp there in unpowered. Shuttles running regularly. Not sure of times but often enough. Have reasonable food options there if you dont want to go in to town. The RSL does a reasonable feed in town. Rest of the eateries I have found to be pretty average.Wont be going this year after last years debacle. Hope the Raa get there act together and give the organisers the support they need as a lot of effort goes in to organising it with minimal support from Raa.

I would love to go to Natfly but so hard to get there from the GC if you don't have an aircraft. What options are there fly to CBR and then hare a car at great cost, try to get into some type of accommodation, from what i can gather there is not a great deal to choose from. Why in the hell do RAA have the thing at Temora anyway, surly if you are trying to foster RA in this country you would have the event somewhere close to where people can get to with decent facilities. I think they need to move closer to capital city. Obviously airspace is a consideration but surely there are better options. I would rather them have it every 2 years and back end it with Avalon. Probably get alot more people to go and get involved. Anyway just my 2 bobs worth. Certainly not trying to offend anyone but i have always scratched my head about it location.

ParQld

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Went last year and had a positive experience. Like Windsor I did my bit for the organization and presented a forum which was well attended, and well worth my efforts.

It's a fairly long haul from Townsville in the Lightwing, even though I don't mind a long haul with lots of flying. Windsor did half of it anyway !....

I don't think anyone should plan on attending until after Feb 9th, as those currently making the plans may well not be with the organization after that date..who knows ?......

As far as facilities, I was very impressed with what the city of Temora has provided, and all very adequet really. Underwing camping by the plane no dramas, with showers and food/drink facilities closeby on site Even a laundry with standard coin operated machines in nice clean sorroundings.

The town shuttle worked well or as the Gnome mention not a bad walk at all, or a not too expensive taxi fare shared with friends. I did the walk back also one night, and didn't mind the exercise either..Just not sure personally if I can justify the effort and the long flight every year, even though I'd like to be there...........................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well decision made, I'll be giving it a miss this year, I'll do the family thing instead, with all the crap that's gone down I just can't be bothered, maybe next year if things settle and we can get on with the fun part of what we're all doing,,,,,maybe start a new thread WHO'S GOING TO AUSFLY ,,,,I'm thinking about it, perhaps include it in a trip to Ayers Rock I've been planning

If the weather is right I will go this year again and camp under the wing. Hopefully they will have sorted out the problems of last year (no criticism of the organisation, just the exhibiters attendance and Raa-aus stuff ups). With a new organiser this year, it will be interesting to see if they can match the quality of organisation shown by Carol in previous years. (she cant be held responsible if the exhibitors and Raa-aus stuffed up). I only stayed 1 night last year instead of the planned 2 so this year will be interesting. Ausfly is interesting but this one (Natfly) is about our side of the sport and should be supported by us. The township of Temora is to be complemented on the facilities they provide.

• Agree 1

I have alredy booked my trade site. So the Nynja and hopefully a Skyranger will be on display. The organisation this year seems to be a great improvement on last year. There is a new layout for trade sites this year, in some ways similar to Narromine in that the trade area is much more compact and not just strung out along the runway. Hopefully there will be lots of exibitors and the event well attended. It is still by far the biggest light aircraft display in Aus. if Ra Aus members want it to continue we all need to support it. Lets hope for good weather.

Greg.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

I would love to go to Natfly but so hard to get there from the GC if you don't have an aircraft. What options are there fly to CBR and then hare a car at great cost, try to get into some type of accommodation, from what i can gather there is not a great deal to choose from. Why in the hell do RAA have the thing at Temora anyway, surly if you are trying to foster RA in this country you would have the event somewhere close to where people can get to with decent facilities. I think they need to move closer to capital city. Obviously airspace is a consideration but surely there are better options. I would rather them have it every 2 years and back end it with Avalon. Probably get alot more people to go and get involved. Anyway just my 2 bobs worth. Certainly not trying to offend anyone but i have always scratched my head about it location.ParQld

Do you have any suggestions as to a new location.?

Alan.

I would be interested to know what's goes on at Natfly. I have had a look at the web site and there is not a lot there yet, from a program perspective.

Would some one interested in taking up flying get value out of going there?

I see that there are a number of exhibitors going, at least possible going if I understand the comments correctly about last year.

What about the lectures? Are they slanted towards established pilots or is there something for the newer less knowledgeable person?

I should be allowed to fly again at the end of February. I have been given permission by the she who must be obeyed to fly there this year. There are a few from Caboolture who are going to fly down and I am going to tag along for the experience. How easy is it to get from the airfield back into town do they have shuttle buses and what time do they finish. I am quite happy to stay at the airfield and sleep there except I need power as I use a Cpap machine for sleeping so if I can get a powerpoint somewhere for the night I am happy to sleep there if not I may need to get a motel room I am happy either way but would prefer to stay at the airfield of course.

CPAP when travelling - some CPAP distribitors have a portable device made for hikers so light weight and runs of rechargeable batteries (called transcend). Alternatively CPAP australia sell a battery pack for your own machine, but weighs a bit.

I would be interested to know what's goes on at Natfly. I have had a look at the web site and there is not a lot there yet, from a program perspective.Would some one interested in taking up flying get value out of going there?

I see that there are a number of exhibitors going, at least possible going if I understand the comments correctly about last year.

What about the lectures? Are they slanted towards established pilots or is there something for the newer less knowledgeable person?

Hi Mark....I have been to the last 3 at Temora. By far the best was the first one! I drove away thinking this was fantastic. I am a builder and the technical talks from the engineers at the museum were fantastic to put it simply. There was a hanger where an aircraft was assembled over the weekend. They showed movies on the end of the Aero club hanger at night, attendance was great and I purchased a great deal of material for my project from suppliers there. The atmosphere was vibrant and facilities great. What happened the last 2 years I have no idea but it went down hill to be polite about it. Last year was a complete waste of my time and money going as far as Im concerned and why I wont be there this year. It should have been an embarresment to the RAA exec's! Still havent heard anything from Mr Runciman as to why attendance was so poor. He promised an investigation...

It worries me that with all the problems of late, who is steering the NATFLY ship? I hope for the associations sake it does a 180 degree about turn as I enjoyed the earlier event and would like to go again if it was worth while.

Thanks for the reply Scotty.

Sounds like I should have been around 3 years ago. I am in a slightly different place in that I am thinking about getting back into aviation after 20 years away in the wilderness.

I am hoping to do a bit of tie kicking and get a lie of the land

May have to wait and see what appears on the web site before I decide what to do

I would be interested to know what's goes on at Natfly. I have had a look at the web site and there is not a lot there yet, from a program perspective.Would some one interested in taking up flying get value out of going there?

Hi Mark,

Having been to the last couple I would say if you are considering taking up flying then the best value would probably be just talking to the pilots there. Most are very friendly and helpful, and should fill you in on the practical side of flying, owning or building etc, depending on what aspects interest you.

Cheers

Neil

• Agree 1

Do you have any suggestions as to a new location.?Alan.

Alan, in short I don't have an answer, what i was getting at, is i feel that what ever the major RA event is in this country it should be more accessible. There are many who have not yet afforded themselves an aircraft (myself included) but would like to be involved anyway. I have nothing personally against Temora, but I would think it would better held closer to a capital city where affordable commercial flights and quality accommodation exist, hence my comment regarding Avalon. Could it possibly be help at Caboolture or Tyagarah. Both these locations have good facilities nearby and 2 Major Airports. Just suggestions thats all. I think it is a worthy question that the organisers should look at from a long term viewpoint to encourage growth and participation.

Cheers

Australia has some of the best flying conditions in the world and plenty of room to fly. The down side of this is that our distances are vast. Just where to hold a fly in when our population is so spread out. Australia's population centre is somewhere around Narromine and Temora is not that far from there. One of the disadvantages of holding a flyin close to any of our major centres on the east coast is that all are on the coast with the Great Dividing Range behind them. If it were to be held somewhere around Sydney for example and the weather was bad then attendance would be very poor. Two years back almost nobody could get out of Sydney. At least out on the plains we all have the opportunity to fly in. I sympathise with thoes who have to travel by other means and I don't have an answer for that. The other advantage of an air show in a country centre is that there is no problems with airspace. I am only glad I don't have to make the decision as there is just no way to please everybody.

I also sympathise with Scotty. The last two years have not been up to the mark particularly last year ( I have been to the last 7) Hopefully this year will be turnaround time. It is our fly in and we all need to make it a success. If enough people stay away because they think it is not worth attending is just a guarentee that it will fail. Lets hope for fine weather and make it a great time.

Greg.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1