Emerald Qld - Virgin does go-around to avoid light plane

Bit of a media beat-up methinks. A jet coming in to land did a go-around to avoid a light plane taking off. ATSB not interested.... This news report is all I know of this incident.

http://www.cqnews.com.au/news/pilot-praised-for-mid-flight-evasion-in-two-plane-/1801363/

Sue

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like virgin should have not committed that far with an aircraft already having taken ownership, as it were of, a runway. Assuming correct radio calls on the light ac's part.

Spent a lot of time getting TOLD by RPT what they were doing and I should get out of the way, always made room when treated politely ,but always made sure I transmitted to any aresh0les so the transmission was recorded, something else we learned , whenever there a "near miss" the companies have to report it, if there's no other side to the story then there's a very skewed data arriving at a CASA/ATSB desk, we had a few CASA seminars to correct the "cowboy " attitude at YHBA simply because the RPT guys were reporting and the GA guys weren't , result always report ANY bad airmanship by commercial operators ,be sure they're reporting it and you will be made to look like the problem

• Like 1

'The flight, which left Brisbane at 10am, was three-quarters full of men, with some women and children'

In the newspaper report it states that the plane was 3/4 full of men with some women and children ................... I presume there must have also been animals ? (or something else) in the cabin as well ?

I guess its lucky that the plane was not 3/4 full of women or the incident could have been a whole lot more serious ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Virgin operates ATR-72 turbo props into Emerald Qld - so the "jet" had props. As for landing on another runway - there is only one the "jets" can use, the cross strip being too short, so perhaps they used the other end of it. My guess - given the level of journalism - is that most of this was gleaned from Farcebook comments.

• Agree 1

I was waiting at Roma a few months ago for our ride.QL -8. A LSA was doing circuits when the -8 rocked up. I then watched the -8 fly around and around in the distance for about 20 minutes.I was thinking they were having a problem. Well I was sort of right.They had a problem, they were too scared to land at Roma with the LSA doing circuits.

Anyway as I was already pissed off by the delay then Captain old mate comes over the cabin speaker. "Sorry for the delay,we held for 20 minutes north of the field because a ultralight was practicing landings and we thought it was safer if we stayed to the north of the field until the ultralight landed.

Well I was really spitting chips by this stage. Not only were we late because of the crews incompetence to mix it with other aircraft (one other aircraft) at a non towered aerodrome.He bagged the ultralight guys.

• Agree 1

Sounds like the RPT was probably on approach to 24 which is towards the terminal and the lighty was departing on 06, may have been nil or light winds favouring 06, easy to happen.

• Agree 1

I was waiting at Roma a few months ago for our ride.QL -8. A LSA was doing circuits when the -8 rocked up. I then watched the -8 fly around and around in the distance for about 20 minutes.I was thinking they were having a problem. Well I was sort of right.They had a problem, they were too scared to land at Roma with the LSA doing circuits.Anyway as I was already pissed off by the delay then Captain old mate comes over the cabin speaker. "Sorry for the delay,we held for 20 minutes north of the field because a ultralight was practicing landings and we thought it was safer if we stayed to the north of the field until the ultralight landed.

Well I was really spitting chips by this stage. Not only were we late because of the crews incompetence to mix it with other aircraft (one other aircraft) at a non towered aerodrome.He bagged the ultralight guys.

Interesting observation. RPT and other turbine/jet crews are certainly becoming more precious down here as well. Example of this yesterday. J160 takes off 32 - climbs to 1500 agl and turns right on climb to 2500 ft in training area. TXP happily going on 1200 ALT and begins showing interrogation as Jab passes 4nm tracking east, (away) from airport. RFDS PC12 calls taxying for YPJT via a backtrack for 32. PC-12 then calls ready to roll 32 but asks for confirmation of an aircraft 4nm to N. By this time we are 9.0 nm to E @ 2500, (below cloud base), and getting further away. PC12 then asks for our location and estimate @ YABA! WTF! His TCAS is onto us - surely it read our position correctly and showed divergence? Or was it u/s, and we were seeing another interrogation from higher flying traffic? Over-reliance on the black box?

On the other hand, most of the SkyWest traffic works in with us very well. We're often doing an orbit on downwind to allow them to do a straight-in and land - when we could have easily slipped onto base and claimed right-of-way. For the record, we have a fully serviceable TXP with C, plus we always run our Garmin 296 GPS with the YABA airport selected so that we can always provide an accurate distance from there.

happy days,

• Like 2

'The flight, which left Brisbane at 10am, was three-quarters full of men, with some women and children'

A regional newspaper reported a car accident a few years ago where "Two men and a shearer were hurt"

Still amuses me.

Guest ozzie

I suppose this sort of thing happens now because they have been allowed to enter and land or takeoff how THEY want be it into wind or against the pattern being used by aircraft already in the circuit. Seems to be interpreted as they now own the airspace circuit and runways regardless of who is already there. If you are committed to landing maybe your response should be "take a ticket and join the queue".

They are usually allowed a 10 knot downwind component, in the ops manual.. I feel the circuit direction chosen often relates to the inbound track and the departure track and the route they fly. Downwind ops conflict with other more "normal" light aircraft useage, and cause significant extra brake wear, and sometimes the brakes should be allowed to cool before departure in case of the need to abort the take-off. This matter has been ongoing , hasn't it? Nev

That could have had a lasting impression on you Tubz. having soft hands wouldn't make up for that act.

Anyhow back to the article which is pretty ridiculous.

A Go Around is not anything but a minor abnormal action. The pilots would/should be ready to do it instinctively from memory for all the actions . At a major airport the frequency changes and clearances get a bit furious, but the whole thing is no big deal.. Nev

• Agree 1

I used to be a bit in awe of the ATPL's that come into YHBA but after a bit of argy bargy from them I really don't care now , if they don't fly a proper circuit and fit in with the inflight traffic I'm happy to give em a rev, the crap they pull in Hervey bay is ridiculous

The straight in approach thing has been kicked around a fair bit and originally it was opposed by the pilots but the plane is actually less involved with other circuit traffic by flying a straight in approach. The problem seems to be the against other traffic direction. If problems occurr you should report them and have them looked at. I would not recommend blame being alleged.. Just the facts and maybe some local knowledge added Nev

• Like 1

Sounds like the RPT was probably on approach to 24 which is towards the terminal and the lighty was departing on 06, may have been nil or light winds favouring 06, easy to happen.

RPT didn't even bother approaching, we all were watching him out of the terminal windows he was a very long way away. He just flew around in circles for 20 odd minutes. As soon as the LSA taxied in to his parking area.The -8 then decided to come in and land.

I first thought -Jeez maybe he is having gear trouble.I didn't think it would be kosher to burn up 20 mintues worth a Avtur just because "oh no there is a pesky ultralight doing circuits".

• Like 1

We don't really know. If the Dash 8 couldn't make radio contact with the plane doing circuits, perhaps he thought the safest course of action was to wait till he landed. I'm not suggesting this is the best thing to do but it is hardly unsafe. If you quote his PA correctly I don't think he was rubbishing U/Ls . By saying someone was doing something that held him up he wasn't stating anything except what happened. " pesky" is the word you added, dazza. We all share the same sky. Nev