OzRunways now CASA approved!

slartibartfast

Just received this email:

OzRunways now a legal source for Maps, DAPs, ERSA and AIP

OzRunways CASA Approved!

We hinted at it only a few days ago, but it is official: OzRunways is now an approved data vendor under CAR 233(1)(h).

This means you can now use any version of OzRunways EFB as source for Maps, ERSA, DAPs and AIP.

This is a blanket approval for the current version of OzRunways as well as the upcoming 3.0, which will be officially announced at NATFLY this weekend and will be ready for you to update after Easter.

Copyright © 2013 OzRunways Pty Ltd, All rights reserved.

You are receiving this email because you signed up via our web site, inside the app, or you have a paid subscription.

Our mailing address is:

OzRunways Pty Ltd

PO Box 669Freeling, SA 5372

Australia

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bigfella

Just got an email stating that OzRunways is now CASA approved as a source for maps, ERSA, DAPs and AIP, well done guys! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Welcome to the future CASA.........who said they were a bunch of backward thinking bumbling bureaucrats.

Cheers,

Bigfella.

This is confirmed on the CASA website.

"OzRunways is an authorised vendor of electronic documentation under CAR 233(1)(h)."

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101203

I hope the significance won't be lost on people! Although a backup is not mandatory if you're not an AOC holder, it would be wise to have one (btw, a second electronic copy on your smartphone, which OzRunways allows under their user licence, satisfies this requirement).

The wordings a little grey on this, an AOC needs a mandatory backup copy, however all pilots need ready access in event of failure, and smart phones are specified as not being an appropriate primary or secondary, so it seems unlikely that you cant use an iPhone as a back up even if you're an private or RA pilot?

• Helpful 1

The wordings a little grey on this, an AOC needs a mandatory backup copy, however all pilots need ready access in event of failure, and smart phones are specified as not being an appropriate primary or secondary, so it seems unlikely that you cant use an iPhone as a back up even if you're an private or RA pilot?

I thought is was quite clear, actually.

The way I read it is the PRIMARY source of data must adhere to the minimum size to be legal (257mm/10.1"). A SECONDARY source on a smaller device is also acceptable in the event of the failure of the PRIMARY device and for use in calculations. There is no avenue for using a small device as the PRIMARY source of data.

I thought is was quite clear, actually.The way I read it is the PRIMARY source of data must adhere to the minimum size to be legal (257mm/10.1"). A SECONDARY source on a smaller device is also acceptable in the event of the failure of the PRIMARY device and for use in calculations. There is no avenue for using a small device as the PRIMARY source of data.

Under Minimum size for an EFB it says:

"A smartphone is not appropriate or acceptable as either a primary or backup device."

Does this apply to AOC or to PPL/RA as well?

• Informative 1

CAAP 233-1, Electronic Flight Bags:

This CAAP looks to provide guidance for the use of EFB by Air Operator’s Certificate(AOC) holders as they are bound to meet the obligations detailed in the AOC conditions set out in

Appendix 9 of CAO 82.0. These AOC conditions will be applicable to foreign registered operators

as detailed in Paragraph 10 of CAO 82.3 and Paragraph 10 of CAO 82.5. It will cover areas such as

hardware, software, administration, maintenance, security and the operational approvals for the AOC

holder.

I wish some-one would write a version of that CAAP specifically for private pilots - I wonder why CASA didn't do it at the time, it would've been so easy.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101203I hope the significance won't be lost on people! Although a backup is not mandatory if you're not an AOC holder, it would be wise to have one (btw, a second electronic copy on your smartphone, which OzRunways allows under their user licence, satisfies this requirement).

Good, but that link has statements, not all of which are applicable requirements for private pilots.

The CAAP will also provide general guidance for private operators.

I suggest that people research the regs and orders before spouting on what is actually required for a private pilot and a private operation.

Taken from the above link, the MINIMUM screen size is calculated to be 257mm or 10.1" (210 x 148 mm; 8.3 x 5.8 in), so no iphones or equivalent or even small tablets.

The wording on CASA's website is "They should have a screen approximately A5 therefore, have a screen size of at least A5 i.e. 210 x 148 mm; 8.3 x 5.8 in. A PDA can only be used for calculations". Kinda interesting that it says "should", not "must". So, definitely a little grey around whether the iPad Mini is suitable (device size is 200 x 134 mm - screen is less than that).

• Like 1

Taken from the above link, the MINIMUM screen size is calculated to be 257mm or 10.1" (210 x 148 mm; 8.3 x 5.8 in), so no iphones or equivalent or even small tablets.

What happened to the A5 reqirement then, my ipad mini 2 that I am waiting for, won't cut it then.

Guest Andys@coffs
......Plus you have the use of phones in aircraft issue to contend with ?

Yeah sometimes I forget to go to aircraft mode before taking off and before you know it, my eyes suddenly go all fuzzy and I cant work out where I am........009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Beings as Im a VFR pilot I only need worry practically about a phone if it interferes with my eyes, my map or one of the other few madated instruments that have little to no electronic components.......

Andy

p.s I specifically said Practically because Im stuffed if I know if theres a rule somewhere that says a VFR pilot must not have aphone thats on in one part of teh VFG (or rules) and then another part that says if you forget to cancel SARTIME etc we'll ring you.....even though we know the phone will be off.....

What happened to the A5 reqirement then, my ipad mini 2 that I am waiting for, won't cut it then.

210 x 148 is A5

http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

And no, your iPad Mini will not cut it as your PRIMARY source of data, but OK as secondary, noting that the measurements were given as minimums. What they're saying is A5 minimum size not approximately (up to) A5.

210 x 148 is A5http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

And no, your iPad Mini will not cut it as your PRIMARY source of data, but OK as secondary.

In very simple terms , as I fold a piece of paper in half, measure it diagonally, a smidge over 10 inches. I see the mini never was going to cut it, but gee it would have been convenient. And you can make proper phone calls on it, and read you SMS with aging eyes, it would have been a thoroughly useful package.

In any case, for non-AOC holders (ie your average private pilot) it's a good thing. And I very nearly fell off my chair when I saw that CASA was moving with the times and technology.

I'm off to Sun N Fun in a couple of weeks, so I guess I need to explore iPad holders in the exhibitor hangars! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 1

I dont think on a ramp check you you get pinned for using a ipad mini at all. We are talking RAA here NOT RTP which the casa regs are actually aimed at

You mean CAR 233 is not really aimed at RAA pilots and/or their aircraft?

• Like 2

Regarding size and the Mini iPad and other similar size devices I think we need to read CAAP 233-1, Electronic Flight Bags and not press releases and FAQ pages.

In section 7.5 it states clearly: "Screen size" and I quote " The screen size and resolution will need to demonstrate the ability to display information in a manner comparable to the paper aeronautical charts and data it is intended to replace. The recommended minimum size of the screen is A5." Nowhere in the CAAP does it say it must be a minimum of an A5, it may say so somewhere else but this is some persons interpretation, the CAAP is after all the legal document.

Having read that and considering that the Mini iPad is not much smaller than an A5 page I believe that a Mini iPad or similar device would be OK for documents but not for maps and you should have a paper copy of the map anyway.

Qantas is now using the iPad as the primary-means instrument approach chart, enroute chart, airfield diagram, and operations manual reference in the Airbus, B747, B767, and B737. The paper charts and publications are being progressively removed from Qantas aircraft (with the exception of a single stowed away backup copy). They will also soon move to iPad flight planning, weather and notams (which is currently being trialled and having the bugs ironed out). The only bit of paper in the cockpit will eventually be the flight plan log, to comply with current CARs.

The iPad is fine!

....oh, sorry, and the only other bit of paper will be the empty peanut packets behind the seats. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Caution 1