Where are the Sydney Harbour float planes?

Recently visited Sydney for an enjoyable weekend. There is no sign of the Beaver and Cessna Caravan on floats that once regularly flew sightseeing tourists over the city. Is this a sign that our tourist economy is less bouyant or, perhaps, the dreadful CASA prevention from aviating agenda at work? Any one wiser than me on this? Don

Saw the Beaver take off from Longjetty on central coast a couple of years back. Never seen it there before, don't know if its a regular thing or a one off. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time I guess. It sure sounded and looked cool. Caught out once again without a camera handy though!

Used to spend a lot of time opposite Rathmines ramp at a weekender, after the war. The Cat's and Sandringhams engines sure echoed around Kilaben bay. Nothing like the sound of BRE's in the morning Nev

I'm pleased to hear it (wish that I lived there - LOVE the sound of round.) Don 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Me too - we've got a Beaver here in Hobart now too, very distinctive engine note.

• Agree 1

They are still there. Two Beavers and the Van, I was down there only a month ago doing some flying. A little quiter but still doing a fair amount. The beaver in Hobart is an ex Sydney Seaplanes aicraft I was lucky enough to deliver and train the owners.

Adam

• Like 2

Me too - we've got a Beaver here in Hobart now too, very distinctive engine note.

I'd really like to have a flight one day. The other day as I was coming out of my piano lesson (in Kingston), the beaver was flying overhead and the engine sounded fantastic.

I don't think it'd be able to fly today though, with the wind like it is.

Tom

Tom, have you ever considered applying for one of these scholarships? http://www.raa.asn.au/gyfts/

Wow, I'm so glad you pointed this out! It's sounds like exactly what I need so I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. If it comes around again this summer, I'll try and apply. The hard bit will be fitting in 3 hours of flying in before then.

Cheers,

Tom

I'd really like to have a flight one day. The other day as I was coming out of my piano lesson (in Kingston), the beaver was flying overhead and the engine sounded fantastic.I don't think it'd be able to fly today though, with the wind like it is.

Tom

Yeah, we live in Allens Rivulet and I've seen (and heard) it heading over for points south, probably Melaleuca. It was doing joy flights from Kingston Beach on Australia Day, that was pretty cool to see.

Sometimes my wife & I get fish & chips and sit on the wharf where it's tied up and I drool over it a bit (well, I think I'm drooling over the plane, might just be the crumbed trevalla from Flippers).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My house in near the harbor and they overfly my house all the time - LOVE IT ! One afternoon I was just doing some maintenance work on my RC Beaver when the full size beaver fly over ! Kinda cool. You will need to turn up the volume to full !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Plan to be on the coast later this month, hope to see the Beaver and caravan again. With luck might even get a decent pic! BTW Gforces RC Beaver looks fantastic!!

• Agree 1

Plan to be on the coast later this month, hope to see the Beaver and caravan again. With luck might even get a decent pic! BTW Gforces RC Beaver looks fantastic!!

Thanks Lark ! If you would like a " ride " here you go...

• Like 1

Control was never really an issue for safety. Just meant it was a splash down ( with no water rudder usable ) This is my local beach and people are used to me flying my seaplanes there. They LOVE it.. Wait till my FlyNano arrives ! ( just jokes ) I doubt I would take off there.