RAA Safety-Training-Compliance Coordinator appointed

fly_tornado

Approve  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Approve

• yes
    • no

RECREATIONAL aviation is what Raaus is all about, the means to and end mentality belongs in GA , is this where we have gone wrong wanting GA privilages on a pilot certificate

Mick W

• Agree 8

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the nub of a problem. I now fly RA to go interesting places, not to mess with aeroplanes. GA? Been there, done that. AUF and Drifters, been there and done that. We really do have two diametrically opposed views within the organisation, probably reflected by the 50-50 vote and the split board. Both views of the hobby are valid. Can one set of rules and procedures satisfy both groups?

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

Of course it can PM...like you, I also have done some GA, and the AUF Drifter thing prior to that. I fly now what I believe is a good mix of all three. I can fly my Lightwing slow like a Drifter and just stooge around with some flap out. Or it makes a great machine to take me places, and also to commute in if I wish. I learnt GA in Cessna 152 s, and I reckon it takes just as much skill (if not more) to operate the Lightwing. The trick is in aircraft selection. If you go with a type that is only good in one area, then that's what you are stuck with....And of course there's no argument when it comes to maintenance costs , RAAus wins every time..............,Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Again with the personal attacks.. sheesh. So if we get new Board Members, even if some Vocal Forumites come on the Board of RA-Aus, are they going to be attacked too? Where does it end? I have just returned from being outside where I made a head-sized dent in my brick wall from multiple applications of head against said wall. No, it didnt knock any sense into me. Tiger - did you make any phone calls and perform the research to find out why our ex-President acted as he did? The results of doing such would make a reasonable man realise the realisation of the enormity of the situation, and the Emergency that required such action to be taken as Real and Needed. Really. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

We seem to be more than a month down the Track since Ed did it his way,...and still the sky hasn't fallen in.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

This is the nub of a problem. I now fly RA to go interesting places, not to mess with aeroplanes. GA? Been there, done that. AUF and Drifters, been there and done that. We really do have two diametrically opposed views within the organisation, probably reflected by the 50-50 vote and the split board. Both views of the hobby are valid. Can one set of rules and procedures satisfy both groups?

I think it can PM, in fact it must cater to both interests.

I for one have like both aspects, for example my Javelin and my Auster (although the Auster is GA), but I appreciate both aspects and the right to utilise both purposes, hell I might fly my Javelin to Natfly one year LOL. (I'll need two days and a tail wind and a slow support car to tag me).

In fact RA Aus must get the balance right and cater for both, it will not survive if it doesn't. If we stand alone in the rag and tube aerial trail bike area we would not have the lobbying power to survive and may ultimately have our exemptions (CAO 95 series) pulled.

• Agree 1

New Executive Announced

July 9, 2013 | Mark Clayton

The following Executive appointments have been confirmed:

President: Rodney Birrell

Treasurer: Jim Tatlock

Secretary: Paul Middleton

Election Statements were submitted by the nominees prior to voting, in accord with Resolution 08/52 (September 2008). These can be viewed within the Member’s portal.

Mark Clayton

Public Officer

Guest airsick

You've got to ask yourself what is Middo doing? Resigning and then standing again? Is he serious? I appreciate that there may be a lack of good candidates but I'm growing very weary of his games and politics...

Guest Maj Millard

Airsickness, I can't see how you can be disappointed at all. Paul stepped aside to allow the system to work. And has then been openly, and demoncratically elected, by our board. Isn't that how we all have been wanting the system to work ???.........I am happy we are keeping some experience and talent, instead of loosing it as we have been lately, so hopefully we can all move ahead positively now, with a lot less whinging and bitching from the usual suspects.

I'm sure Paul will make a fine secretary..............Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest airsick
Airsickness, I can't see how you can be disappointed at all. Paul stepped aside to allow the system to work. And has then been openly, and demoncratically elected, by our board. Isn't that how we all have been wanting the system to work ???.........I am happy we are keeping some experience and talent, instead of loosing it as we have been lately, so hopefully we can all move ahead positively now, with a lot less whinging and bitching from the usual suspects.I'm sure Paul will make a fine secretary..............Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I agree with the first half of your statement Maj, the system was followed, someone was democratically elected, etc.

I'm not convinced about the second half Maj. The issue I have is that Paul is part of the problem and I was hoping we were over that part of our history but it seems we're not. He played a major role in RA-Aus ending up where it is today as a board member and secretary. He has repeatedly failed to meet his obligations as secretary (has anyone seen the minutes for the Feb meeting yet?). The list goes on.

So why will he make a good secretary this time round?

And why resign if you're just going to run again? What's that all about? Call me cynical but the only thing I can think of is so he can tell everyone that once again he was the one who had to save us.

He failed us in the past and I have lost faith in him as a result. It'll take a lot more than a title to restore that faith.

Guest airsick
Anybody who is not sure or unhappy about what is going on with the board should ring their Area Rep.

Unfortunately my area rep is Middo. Not exactly helpful to me.

The only plausible reason for someone resigning and then nominating for the same position is to be able to say: 'well I left it up to the Board, and I was re-elected: choke on that'. I have not seen ONE word regarding the reasons for Middleton resigning. This is, pure and simple, political manouevering at its most venal.

Middleton has done the RAA great service in broadening its appeal. For that, I applaud him. However, the end result of his lack of attention/downright disdain for compliance issues is laid bare to the bone now. Whipping up a mob does not always result in good ends; it is beyond time that RAA moved beyond a scramble for size and became an organisation that can work effectively for the aviating future of its members. That clock is ticking.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I have nothing against Middo . But he has been around for a very long time and is one of the founding members of the OBC. Plus he has dropped the ball on a few occasions. (see airsicks Post 760). I would really like to see a new person in the secretary role. Not a recycled person.

• Agree 2

Are you happy or unhappy with the election of the Executive Board positions today. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

Not really but it is temporary until the elections. We do have some good board members who will have their reasons for asking Paul Middleton to do the secretary job again.

• Informative 1

I think Middo probably quit out of frustration. Must be pretty hard working through all this, with a board divided against itself.

He has a lot of knowledge, and a lot of history. He was part of the board that let things slide until we were in trouble, but also part of the board that made things happen before that, and he didn't walk away when it all went wrong and got hard.

So I would like a board that works together, preferably with Middo, but most importantly, one that works together.

I have no idea what is happening, but I am pretty sure that the 5:5 split on the board must be resolved, if we are to make any progress. Either that will be done by discussion, or by election. I hope we don't have to wait for it to be (hopefully) resolved by election.

dodo

• Haha 2

The 5:5 issue was on just one particular issue from what I have read here. It does not man that it will happen again.

Also if someone does not vote on a matter, then the figures become un-evan again.

The 5:5 issue was on just one particular issue from what I have read here. It does not man that it will happen again.

I do not think so. I suspect it is why it has taken so long to get an executive sorted. We have had a board divided for a while, but my guess is Myles resignation produced an even split. Unintended, unfortunate.

I think the board divided has been going on for a while, but a 5:5 split makes it unworkable.

So...will the board resolve it?

dodo

Oi! Airsick

re. post 760.

Just go back in history and at the begining of AUF.. Middo's efforts we have to thank from the bottom of our hearts, Middo put a bend in the pollies of the day to start a movement called "AUF" that name may not be correct however good enough fot this story.

As for the moaning about the secretary Middo did the correct thing resign then get re-elected through the process, all voted in.

"""""NO JOBS FOR THE BOYS""""" as all moaners/whingers/belly achers/etc. etc. would dream up to complain about.

Airsick lets all do something for RAA instead of sitting and moaning from the key boards.

Regards,

Keith Page.

• Agree 1

Bit more.

Was not all Middos work, he did have some friends and I have forgotten, would be good to find out who they are and keep their names up there so all can not forget who started RAAus.

Regards,

Keith Page

Middo put a bend in the pollies of the day to start a movement called "AUF" that name may not be correct however good enough fot this story.

What an amazing revision of history! The AUF was formed in 1983, as a re-named Australian Ultralight Association originally formed in 1982, Middleton was employed by CAA (now CASA) until 1994.

• Helpful 2
  • Winner 3