The Easiest Aircraft to learn to fly?

When I finally did my AUF conversion a few years back I did the LP part in a Drifter and the HP part in a Foxbat. Love both aircraft, the Foxbat was a delight to fly, predictable, responsive, not docile, plenty of control authority right down to the stall. The hold off and flair were stable and predictable, I fell in love with it in minutes. The only thing missing was the little wheel on the tail ... LOL. The instructor told me to taxi with the yoke back as the nose leg was a weak point, that was habitual with me as most of my time has been in tail wheelers.

039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif If you look carefully, you'll see that the Foxbat comes standard with a tailwheel:

935011538_Foxbatwithstandardtailwheel.jpg.c1d747abd2ff355c16581fa0e1e14b87.jpg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, testament to how much you can hold them off in the flare. They appear to have very good elevator and rudder authority at the flare. I felt like I was flying the Citabria with the wheel on the wrong end ... LOL. You could easy flare into what would be a three point position in a tailwheel aircraft. There is no excuse for not landing them easily on the mains and holding the nose wheel off. That was my experience anyway. It was fun to fly, I quite like them.

039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif If you look carefully, you'll see that the Foxbat comes standard with a tailwheel:[ATTACH=full]23209[/ATTACH]

Er,. . . . . .I think, upon closer insoection, you'll find that this isn't actually a TAILWHEEL, rather a shopping trolley wheel added for cosmetic appeal. After "A certain number" of hours spent in energised Foxbats. . . . . I can honestly say that none of my cohorts has ever scraped the shopping trolley wheel on the ground in any phase of a flight. Why the Aeroprakt designer guys put it there is a mystery. . . .maybe it was a dig at the fact that Brit pilots are not as good as their counterparts in Eastern Europe. . .?

I have never flown a Gazelle. I learned to fly at age 16 in a Moraine Salnier Rallye MS880B,a very forgiving STOL aircraft. I then went to C150, C172, Citabria 7GCBC, then C182RG, C180, C185, C206, Auster. during my GA PPL times I also flew the Frank Bailey designed 95:10 Mustang and the Drifter back in the 80s this was before the AUF.When I finally did my AUF conversion a few years back I did the LP part in a Drifter and the HP part in a Foxbat. Love both aircraft, the Foxbat was a delight to fly, predictable, responsive, not docile, plenty of control authority right down to the stall. The hold off and flair were stable and predictable, I fell in love with it in minutes. The only thing missing was the little wheel on the tail ... LOL. The instructor told me to taxi with the yoke back as the nose leg was a weak point, that was habitual with me as most of my time has been in tail wheelers.

I would say the Foxbat was an ideal trainer except a trainer should ideally be very strong to cater for the inevitable student hard landings.

I agree with you David,. . .the first time I flew a foxbat, ( G-FBAT ) number 1 in the uk, . . .I was appalled at the pathetic bicycle brake lever jobbie on the stick. ( JUST A NOTE HERE,. . .THEY DIDN'T ALLOW YOKES IN THE UK,. . .WE HAD TO HAVE A SINGLE CENTRAL STICK. . . ) This had to be released whilst trying to start the engine, having the left hand on the stupidly mounted throttle lever, situated on the bottom of the bloody door frame ( ! ) then grabbed again when the engine fired to prevent the aircraft from running forward, since it was not conveniently fitted with any type of parking brake.. . . . What the hell the designers were thinking about when they didn't simply place a push pull throttle assembly mid panel A La Cessna. . .Gawd only knows. . . . this way, one hand could have operated the start switch whilst being only a few inches away from the throttle, thereby making the whole process rather more ergonomically pleasant. . . . . apart from this small irritant, and the fact that the airframe is a bit of a slippery bugger if you don't watch out,. . . .It is a really nice aeroplane ! ! ! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The one exception to holding the nosewheel high on a tricycle is where the mainwheels are located well back, way behind the centre of gravity. When the weight goes on the mainwheels the nose will slam down on the ground. The Vampire is like this. (I'm sure ultralights will comment) .It's done to stop it tipping on it's tail when you get out of it. Best to land those flat ( A little faster). Nev

I found the foxbat a nice aeroplane in good conditions. But in gusty crap, forget about it. Get the gazelle out of the hangar. The wing loading on the foxbat is too low. Easy to land yes, chuck in rubbish crosswinds and you will be working as hard as any other aircraft I've flown, much more than any jab and much more than the gaz. The gaz has my vote, hands down.

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

And here is yet another Kitfox/Skyfox clone, a Planes of Ohio Highlander that I am currently working on ............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

image.jpg.95422553689fb76d5adaeb224cb27d9f.jpg

image.jpg.47e69dfe6b0c3262011592c5e9f5f528.jpg

image.jpg.4bb3a33979e27b340f99b369cb83a917.jpg

I found the foxbat a nice aeroplane in good conditions. But in gusty crap, forget about it. Get the gazelle out of the hangar. The wing loading on the foxbat is too low. Easy to land yes, chuck in rubbish crosswinds and you will be working as hard as any other aircraft I've flown, much more than any jab and much more than the gaz. The gaz has my vote, hands down.

Woos woos woos ... wats wrong with some nice gusts and low wing loading to keep the feet and hands active boyo ... ROFLMAO.

Guest Maj Millard

Not based here Dazza , out of the Gold Coast I believe but damaged in a landing accident up on the cape. Needed some weld repairs, and I'll be doing the recover and repaint. Should be back in the air in a week or so..............Maj..014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Can you show me a picture of a Gazelle,. . . .as I'm not familiar with the type. Over here in the steaming hot UK, ( they reckon it'll be 35 celcius tomorrow. . .) a "Gazelle" is a serious looking military helicopter. . . . ( which I have not flown either. . .Phil

Hi Phil,

Here are two (plus the one in my avatar 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif)

Cheers

Neil

100_0984.jpg.d43225848cddf8cdb5838a5fc9ab9289.jpg

Phil, here are some pictures of my Gazelle (and my CT):

http://www.recreationalflying.com/useralbums/my-aircraft.1/view

I could almost swear that when I went to do something in my Gazelle that she didn't think was right, she would say "Now Ian, are you sure you want me to do that?"...and she was just so forgiving...and that undercarriage, WOW, for a student that is blind in one eye and doesn't have the 3rd dimension of depth, she would handle it every time until she taught me when to flare.

When I was doing my cross wind training, the wind was 90deg at 18 to 20 knots. After we took off she was all over the place but controllable but the interesting thing was after we landed we checked the wind again and it was 28 to 30 knots...I love the Gazelle, a true and honest girlfriend...my CT was my mistress

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Gforce, the aircraft is currently on the road in a very nice trailer pulled behind an equally nice motor home . It belongs to a gentleman and his lady who are on the road as professional photographers, and they use the aircraft for aerial shooting. I think the are from the Gold Coast, but I will see them tomorrow so I'll find out for sure and get back to you.

What has been your experience with the Highlander Gforce , what are the like to fly ?...............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Interesting no one mentioned the tecnams, I did my RAA cert in a golf, an echo and then did a few hours in a bravo. Apart from being expensive to buy I thought they were a pretty forgiving plane, maybe a bit light in pitch ,especially after a C172 ,but pretty docile. I haven't flown a Gazelle but they'd be identical to my plane in the air ,just the first and last bit would be different .

I'm really keen to fly a highlander though, maybe if I can get to Oshkosh next year, they look great with the room and it would be interesting to see how the wing,flaps and ailerons work compared to the Skyfox gear.

Matty

You're right M2, I have had a couple of flights in a Tecnam, both high and low wing, and have found them very easy to fly...they reminded me of the 172 (not as much of a brick though 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif)...I guess this why many schools opted for the Tecnam when their Gazelles started to get pensioned off.

• Winner 1