How to stuff a good day

Russ

Flat / punctured tyre out the back of woop woop. Consider the situation, you are miles from home, she's as flat as..........

This did happen to me yrs back, and it was a MAJOR problem. I suggest you all put in place your "plan" to remedy the situation.

"My" situation was a list of "murphy law" components

no suitable ???? to raise, and then chockup the plane

ONCE that was achieved, remove the rim Ok...........now try breaking the tyre/rim bead....near on impossible.

The "spare" tube was aged cracking, as it had been folded up for so long.

Anyway, after some hrs i was now back in the air heading home vowing to never again to get caught out.

I now carry a can of that gooey presurised stuff, several types avail, yet to use one, so if someone out there has a tried and proven "fix"............do tell

LOL, I built a six wheel drive amphibious ATV once and the supplier recommended a couple of bottles of the stuff.

The tyres were soft enough to squash over a gangster's dagger, but the ATV pitched a lot in the mountains and used to cut the tyres on the rims - too big for the pressurised bottle.

So I kept them for our outback camper and caravan trips. First time I used one I used the lot and it didn't find the puncture.

You might be able to pickup a lightweight motorcycle tyre kit with levers and vulcaniser.

With small wheels you can usually lever the bead off with the levers, particularly if you use some sort of rustproofing lubricant when you put them on.

Always remember the farmer is your friend, and usually leaves pieces of steel junk near windmills or gates if you need something to bash the tyre.

Not sure of the legality of using "gooey" stuff on the road or in a plane, anymore. If you are out in the desert and going to die of thirst eventually anything goes, but surely you would be more prepared in such a situation and have a good tyre and tube..You can get non-inflatable tailwheels, which I would recommend as I HAVE had problems with a tail wheel a few times. You can get away with a T/W problem by keeping it in the air till you are nearly stopped if you have to. Nev

"The "spare" tube was aged cracking, as it had been folded up for so long"

As you now state that you have a J160, pump up the tube and tie is up behind the rear bulk head and if you need it then there is no cracking - doesn't solve the difficulty in changing it in the bush but at least the tube is in good condition.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Split rims make it easier. I carry exactly the spanners needed (one ring spanner, one socket, one Allen key) spare tube and a motorbike pump. Had it happen, also in Woop Woop. But I don't have the answer to supporting the plane, needs a couple of strong local lads to help.

But I don't have the answer to supporting the plane, needs a couple of strong local lads to help.

I carry a small wooden block about 5 inches tall (weighs next to nothing) - fits under the end of the undercarriage leg - works for Jabs, obviously different aircraft have different options.

Guest Maj Millard

To hell with the old cracked tube...your in whoop whoop and want to get out right....turf the tube and fill the tire with as much grass ( dried or green ...doesn't matter) , as you can physically stuff in there...tube back on rim..gone.... you won't know the difference...may feel like your only running 10 psi or so, but you 've done that before haven't you ????!!!!....Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

"The "spare" tube was aged cracking, as it had been folded up for so long"

We were once short of a balloon for an office birthday party. One of the lads took a rubber object out of his wallet and made the same discovery. How we laughed!

I flew the SportStar far away once, and got there and had a flat. The instructor just about broke his back lifting the plane so the tyre could be changed. So he built a handy jack to use.

I then flew away even further. Flat. Then found I had left the jack behind. It took a lot of people to get me out of that! And my lack of knowledge of how the wheel and brakes all connected up did not help.

My advice to myself and any others is, learn how that works, it's more complicated than just slipping off a car wheel if you have to pull the brake apart too. And I am going to go early on Monday to the plane and have a look at the Foxbat's wheels!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i replaced my 2 mains, plus tubes ( mains were wearing outsides only, BAD ) .......if this had been a woop woop flat tyre scinareo, i would have been in deep shyte. Lifting the jab one side only, then propping it up....safely.....with scrub timber, whatever.......forget it. Sliding the wheel off the stub axle that has now accumulated corrossion buildup.....it don't slide off....... Splitting the rim, fight the 2 halves apart.....doable, but hard.

Luckily for me i had access to workshop gear....innox, concrete floor, assorted timbers for lifting / propping etc etc

So.......do yourself a favour, pull off your mains one day, and "prep" everything to ensure your flat tyre in woop woop doesn't become a MAJOR problem.

Or........super cheap sell aerocel cans of emergency tyre repair / inflate stuff.....screw the hose to your valve, push the trigger, up goes the tyre tube full of ??????....$18.00

• Informative 2

G'Day Russ,

I have 3 x Jabs in a flying school, so change tyres often. We used to battle breaking the bead and removing tyre until showed an old LAME's trick.

Wipe a thin (very thin) smear of silicone grease (available from Bearing Supply shops) on the bead and rim before replacing the tyre.

Next time you change the tyre it can be pushed off by hand. I was initially worried about the tyres spinning on the rim, but after four years, a few thousand hours, and about ten thousand student landings, we've never had a tyre move.

Cheers,

Bruce

btw: "Glue" the brake pad nuts in with silastic or epoxy, remove the bottom bolt only, then swing the aluminium pad carrier out of the way to remove the wheel. (Might only work with the factory wave discs)

• Informative 1