The best thing about raa

Despite that I've cussed them repeatedly over the past couple of years, I have to admit that if it weren't for the AUF/RAA, I would never have got back in the air.

• Agree 2

I thank RA-Aus as well.I could not afford GA rates.Lets hope RA- Aus will survive whatever storm it might be in.This RPL is an interesting thing.Maybe an advantage to those seeking heavier machines.I think it might have been a way to resuscitate GA by attracting RA-Aus pilots to seek flying heavier machines especially those who can meet the right Medicals.If a thousand RA-Aus pilots go the RPL route then GA is on it`s way up again.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gifgood_vs_evil.gif.3bae94f4ff210f03cc4bea87587f9a84.gif

Just looked a 2nd hand aircraft, 24 registered, but number didn't match the model, owner changed it from VH to RAA purely for maintenance reasons. Example of supporting RAA as opposed to the opposite.

Without RAA I would not be an aircraft owner. Nothing to do with licence or medical.

Even if we lose some through the introduction of the RPL, they will be back, the grass is always greener etc. until you get there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The GA school I started with was rubbish, and then closed, the RAA school I ended up with taught me not only how to fly and survive ,but and this advice has kept me flying when I thought it was all a bit much, we were flying along on a Navex and I was head down trying to do math while getting bounced around by the turbulence , he nudges me and says" look out the window, this is meant to be fun" , that has stuck with since, and for me is the reason I fly ,it's fun, and the day it stops being fun( even a rough day in a plane is better than anything else I do) I'll give it away.

The RAA has bought aviation to thousand of people that wouldn't have flown otherwise, it has also been an avenue for Ga pilots to reignite the passion , I really hope it survives the storms cause we have no entry level alternative,

Matty

• Like 3

Congratulations 503, it's great to come across people who seek out the positives. It certainly was easier before AUF/RAA, when we didn't need a licence and we just went flying if the craft happened to fit into 95.10 (Issue 1, not the present Issue 5). But with so many breaking the rules and building heavier aircraft than the ANO permitted, and building 2 seaters, it was inevitable that some form of regulation had to come along.

In the big scheme of it AUF/RAA has been very successful, going from less than 1000 members in the first three years to more than 10,000 at present. And for better or worse, we got what we wished for, the plastic fantastics. Sadly we lost what some of us loved, the freedom of real ultralights. Is everyone aware that USA haven't lost their FAR23 Pt 103 freedoms? Meaning that they still don't have to register true single seat ultralights, nor do they need a pilot certificate, or any compulsory training. And of course they're doing just what we did, pushing for a weight increase, a speed increase and all that.

I still think RAA is great, it keeps many of us in a hobby that we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise, so let's get behind it a bit more and help to build it up to where we want it to be rather than drag it down and end up with a bigger reconstruction job.

I like your instructor's comment Matty 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

When I concerted to RAA it was all so simple and easy - no red tape (more pink if anything)

If you do have a problem with RAA (or RAA has a problem with you) ............................ you can ring them and you can get personal attention (can't imagine CASA could offer this personal attention or anything close to it)

• Agree 1

In no particular order:-

I can afford to fly RAA as opposed to watching others fly GA aircraft

I am not interested in the full GA flying ie all the formalities of CTA, lodging flight plans etc and don't need the extra pressure in a recreational pursuit

It is fun

I get to talk to people who fly other fun toys like gyros, trikes etc., the glider guys also fly for fun

The average GA aircraft around are old and not very interesting (they also spend a long time at the avgas pump)

The instructors are into the fun of it not just getting hours up

Fly ins can be a great day/weekend away

My wife only worries a little bit (well I think it's only a little bit)

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Briefly, RAAus have achieved:

"An affordable safe way to fly for recreation"

Now, haven't I seen that statement somewhere else?

Also, the RAAus standards of training have improved greatly over the years.

Pete

https://www.recreationalflying.com/xf2/uploads/emoticons/020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif[/img]

And there in lies the story

I get sick and tired of all the old farts with their rag and tube drifters whinning about the good old days when it was the AUF with none of the restrictions that have come about with emergence of RAA and its pandering to the newer and heavier "plastic fantatics".

You guys need to pull your head out of the sand and have look around at the real world . It is over a 100 years Orville and Wilbur started the rag and tube movement and there have been a number of aviation improvements along the way just as the Automobile has evolved since the model T to the vehicles we drive today with Cruise Control, AC, PS,Fuel injection and of course I pod connectivity .

Just because you enjoy the wind in your face as you put around the sky at a leisurely pace of 50 knotts doesn't mean that others can't enjoy the benefits of modern aerodynamics, technology, innovative electronics and longer endurance in a sleek and comfortable package. The increasing weight limits that are being ridiculed for pushing us towards GA are just limits they are not compulsory so you can continue to fly drifters to your hearts content

The 9000 strong increase in membership would I imagine be due to the increased popularity and availability of faster and more modern aviation offerings and I would assume that they make up the bulk of RAA members. Accordingly I see that RAA is actually acting in the interest of its membership allowing us the opportunity to fly and maintain the latest and safest offerings in a recreational capacity and at a relatively affordable ( compared to GA cost.

We need to support RAA not tear it down or hope for its demise.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well the title says RAA but i gues it means RAA and RAAus

Good quality syllabus -

Fantastical helpful on the phone or email

Being able to have L2 maint

RPL is a cracker, i think its a great idea

Im too old to remember anything else at this time of night and too young to complain about everything

I like the fact that my aircraft owes me just a few thousand, and that I am allowed to maintain it myself (as we all should be).

As a reply to Sky Gazer, I think that maybe some do not understand what these people are saying (speaking for myself anyway).

It's not about weight limits or the type of aircraft you fly, but over the years I have noticed a definite change in the type of people you meet in recreational aviation circles. I used to regularly meet heaps people who had various hand built projects and experimental designs ready to try, who thought nothing of being the "test pilot", whereas now, I meet a lot of people who talk about their latest acquisition, how much it cost, who did their work for them, and who's responsible for it when it goes wrong. It's a bit like having your favourite pub remodelled to appeal to more upmarket folk, who then sneer at you because your old Falcon is parked too close to their late model Merc. In normal circumstances, you would find another pub, where you feel comfortable, but in this case, there is only one pub.

Please understand that I am in no way trying to start an argument just create an understanding.

I love the flying I do, in general I like the people I meet.

• Like 2

I am a bit loathe in telling my story of rec flying but I will post anyway.

I was under a cloud when my wife died after a long illness.

I did a trip to Israel to visit my daughter. The few hours spent at Johannesburg in transit was spent watching the Olympics and reading a South African flying magazine where the author compared a Cessna 172 to a Jabiru.

To cut a long story short, I decided to take a change in attitude .

When home again I did my training and received my certificate at 69 years of age.

That was eight years ago and I can categorically say that after 500 odd hours of flying, I can thank the rec flying system for what I consider to be another method of living with a purpose and fun.

Sorry if I am too personal.

Phil.

• Like 12
  • Winner 3

There is lots of scope for me in RAA planes and I don't imagine I will disappear to the dark side.

RPL/PPL and a DL Medical offers me an increase in scope as to where I can fly an RAA plane - into control zones and controlled aerodromes like over the top of Williamtown and up the coast past Coffs Harbour or into Alice Springs or when The Oaks is too wet I can land at Camden.

The Oaks is a great place but some silly bugger decided to lock up two all weather strips in the Sydney Basin - Hoxton Park by selling it off and Camden by making it Class D during daylight hours 7 days a week.

I can't afford to wait while RAA ponders (or not) access to controlled space but I can get an RPL/PPL and a DL medical which will give the access I might need at some time.

RAA plus RPL/PPL makes a lot of sense to me.

Do I need more than 600 Kg - no, but 700 would be nice. But I am very impressed by the Fieseler Storch at about 1400Kg - a majik plane

• Agree 2

Could not agree more Col. I joined RAAus looking for an affordable method of doing what I had always dreamed about but thought it out of my reach. That was two years ago.

Today I was enjoying the 2 hr flight south when I was caught in the middle of bad weather. The only path around controlled airspace at Townsville was blocked by storm cloud and general cloud cover as it often is. The cloud was sitting at the base of the mountain right in the only practical path though the area. Can't go up or around due to controlled airspace.

If I was allowed to fly through controlled airspace it would not have been an issue. I turned back, parked up and drove four hours instead. The new RPL will give me the flexibility to fly through controlled airspace in the future (where there was no cloud this morning).

At late 50's the DL medical should not be that much of an issue for me and if it is then the medical would have found something I did not know about my health. I will download the forms and get the paperwork moving this month in readiness for the rule change. I think the two organisations compliment each other with the changes. RAAus so I can own and maintain a little plane for reasonable cost, and the ability to get through controlled airspace when going up and down the FNQ east coast where I live with the new RPL.

I think the two organisations compliment each other with the changes. RAAus so I can own and maintain a little plane for reasonable cost, and the ability to get through controlled airspace when going up and down the FNQ east coast where I live with the new RPL.

That is the way to look at it. The RPL can be used to extend your access to CTA if you want it, and if not then forget it even exists and it won't effect you. I don't see it a one V the other. In the example you give it is a lot safer to transit CTA down the coast then scud running through the hills when the weather dictates.

After flying in and out of CTA all my flying life, now I find myself only going there if I want to go to a particular town or the weather dictates. Flying for the pure enjoyment of it, for me anyway, involves staying away from the disciplines of CTA but handy to be able to legally when the conditions dictate and safer.

Without the privileges of RAA I would probably have given flying away or at least fly a lot less.

Guest Maj Millard
Could not agree more Col. I joined RAAus looking for an affordable method of doing what I had always dreamed about but thought it out of my reach. That was two years ago.Today I was enjoying the 2 hr flight south when I was caught in the middle of bad weather. The only path around controlled airspace at Townsville was blocked by storm cloud and general cloud cover as it often is. The cloud was sitting at the base of the mountain right in the only practical path though the area. Can't go up or around due to controlled airspace.

If I was allowed to fly through controlled airspace it would not have been an issue. I turned back, parked up and drove four hours instead. The new RPL will give me the flexibility to fly through controlled airspace in the future (where there was no cloud this morning).

At late 50's the DL medical should not be that much of an issue for me and if it is then the medical would have found something I did not know about my health. I will download the forms and get the paperwork moving this month in readiness for the rule change. I think the two organisations compliment each other with the changes. RAAus so I can own and maintain a little plane for reasonable cost, and the ability to get through controlled airspace when going up and down the FNQ east coast where I live with the new RPL.

Hi Pete, Flyers in the Townsville area are very familiar with the route around the back that you describe. I and many others in the region have flown the 'Gauntlet ' many times over the years. Even when the WX is favourable it still puts you in danger for about 10 minutes generally, with turbulance ( often extreme ) and nowhere to go if things go quiet. We must pay thanks to the late Bill Starke who saw to it many years ago that we even have that route, as the Army wanted to take class C right to the high country behind.

I have already had discussions with local instructors and others about approaching the authorities re; a possible alternate route on the Eastern side of the Pinnicles should I be elected to the board. Even though options are also limited there , it would at least offer some options !...As a comparison , I flew the Williamtown back VFR route a few years back through the hills by Gloucester to Mailand NSW, which makes our route a piece of cake at 2500' !...that route has to be flown at 1000-1500ft and has about as many option, for a lot longer distance. However we will at least try to improve our options, hopefully in the near future.........Cheers Ross Millard.

Guest Andys@coffs

Been there and other than the spectacular scenery didn't enjoy it that much.... As Ross says, nowhere to go but into the mess if the noise stops.....When I went through I saw a small flock of goats in amongst the rocks on the side of the mountain to the east.

Andy

Guest Maj Millard
Been there and other than the spectacular scenery didn't enjoy it that much.... As Ross says, nowhere to go but into the mess if the noise stops.....When I went through I saw a small flock of goats in amongst the rocks on the side of the mountain to the east.Andy

That's interesting Andy , I would imagine there could be goats up there, and I have also heard stories of large feral bulls in that country amoungst all the hoop pines. Something to look foward to I suppose if we ever find ourselves amoungst it all !....Recently one flyer from the South took one look at it and promptly turned around !...The only saving grace I suppose is your only in there for about 10 mins at most...............Maj...023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gif

we should 'feather the nest ' 'grease the wheels' 'press the flesh' 'fly the flag' 'move forward (sorry maj)' 'get to know our big brothers' etc etc

- a thread should be started 'the best thing about CASA'

• Caution 2