minor Lightwing incident

Not a big deal but may help another?

I took a pilot friend for a nav yesturday out over the s.a coorong then between the murray river lakes followiing Lake alexandreina to Strathalbyn and then started heading back.We had been aloft for a little over 1 1/2 hours and had been a perfect flight,calm, warm,no wind,, a view no words can really describe when we noticed a strong burning smell?Then out of know where the cab filled with smoke? was making us dry reach,choke,eyes were burning and I new the smell! I could tell it was carbon monoxide from the exhaust .As we were only 1-2 nm out from S>A sky diving wellington , I made an emergency call and side sliped from 3500ft to the thresh hold, Note a radio reply from trike at strath to confirm my location and emergency (THANK YOU, MUCH APPRECIATED).Once on the ground we were greeted by 20+ sky divers and the local cessna pilots(and owner).they were very helpfull and to date hands down the most accomadating(2 HUGE THUMBS UP FOR S.A SKYDIVING WELLINGTON)Coffee tea,great clubroom etc...anyway back on track....lol I jumped out and looked at the exhaust to descover the muffler tail pipe(exhaust tip) had broken out of the muffler causing the exhaust fumes to enter the pilot door and vents. instead of being directed under the plane(rotax 582 blue top 460hrs)

As the light wing has removable doors we were able to continued home(smoke free)

Note to rotax 582 owners-make checking the exhaust tip part of the pre flight..and if possible have a bracket welded/fixed from muffler to tip for extra strength.

.She is all fixed and about to head up for some calm morning flying...Take care friends:wave:

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

"and I new the smell! I could tell it was carbon monoxide from the exhaust ".?? Exhaust fumes but not CO2 - Odorless

no worries thanks may explian the carbon monoxide indictor showed nothing...I know the smell as my old farm bike has the exact same smell that seeps into your cloths:yuck:

Good outcome Tim,

Good call declaring an emergency, cause if you can smell exhaust fumes, there is definitely CO mixed in there and you cant possibly know how much. The longer you are up there, the higher the risk. The great thing about two strokes is that you can smell the exhaust, it is not always that evident on a four stroke. CO is deadly.

Meat bombers are almost always a great bunch and great help when the chips are down.

• Like 1

Two strokes are called stink wheels in the USA, when used in motorcycles. The oil used gives them a distinctive odour and a lot of it collects in the cooler parts of the exhaust system. Fractured exhausts are a common problem. There is plenty of vibration around to cause the metal fatigue. That's why the system is held together by springs and left flexible. Good result anyhow. IF you suspect fire, consider turning fuel off as one of the principal ways is to close off the things that burn. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just watched your video, brings back memories of flying over there. Last time I tried to use my camera the shutter locked closed, what kind /make are you using?002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Hi James, a $45 made in china ebay go pro rip off?..works great but sound is always out a little.can't complain for $45 and full 180 deg capture.