Bad landing at Innisfail............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Got a report that a Jab suffered an engine failure with an emergency landing carried out at Innisfail airport last week. Seems during the landing the nose wheel collapsed, prop hit the ground and the aircraft ended up on its back.

Anyone else got any info on this one ?...............Maj....

Guest Maj Millard

Wind shift on landing ?.....cross wind. ?....Did the aircraft end up on its back, or didn't it, got any photos Peter.......................Maj.....

There has been a lot of really large 'willy willies' lately in the Biggenden area, I witnessed a wheelie bin thrown into the air about 20/30 feet and landed about 100 yards away

Just missing a car on the Isis Hwy. So if the aircraft wasn't tied down that could have happened to it?

Bernie.

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Seems my initial eyewitness, on-the-spot report was incorrect...there was no engine failure, but that the pilot got hit with some strange wind at touchdown ..my apologies to Peter008 for my initial incorrect report ..............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Landing once my wing tip (Jabiru J170) came within inches of the ground just as I was rounding out. Call me a woos but I won't fly my plane in hot and/or gusty conditions anymore unless there is a very good reason.

How about.......stalled just before touchdown, bounced hard, 2nd impact was untidy.....over she goes. ( recent purchase as well )

All this according to eye witness ( fellow aviator ) ....so there you go.

Peeps who fly aeroplanes should find it as easy as driving a car after training. If they find it more difficult, they should take up knitting. They fark up insurance for the peeps who find flying relatively easy . Just sayin

• Caution 1

Am waiting for you to make an error after that comment dazza. Don't forget to advise all and sundry so we can see you eating a piece of that 'humble pie' that appears to be needed!!!

You will be waiting for a long time

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Anybody who has been around aviation long enough would have witnessed the occasional pilot ( I use the word pilot loosely ) do super crap landings in good weather. IMO they are a accident waiting to happen . They are the dudes I was alluding to who I think should maybe look for another hobby. Aviation can be very unforgiving .

Flying a plane and driving a car will never be the same except when the road can move like it does with an earthquake happening. The air is a dynamic element and the road stays where it is. Being ready for an air disturbance (particularly in the landing phase) is part of flying. When you hit your next "dust devil" (without the dust to warn you) you will find out. Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I'd have to say that flying has been the greatest challenge for me, I've raced cars and motor bikes, the latter I was pretty quick at ,but adding that dimension of the air/gravity has had me wondering if some sort of latent retardation is lurking within me( please no offence intended) ,I can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and turn a great approach into something that resembles a crash.

The longer I fly more I have adopted the attitude of some of the 'heavies' pilots,,,," the aircraft made a reasonable landing inspite of my efforts to **** it up " , keeps me from thinking I'm better than I am cause strangely when ever I get to thinking I'm getting pretty sh1thot the aeroplane will remind me that it still has plenty of lessons to teach me!

Matty

• Like 8

Ok......we,ve gone from engine failure to strange gust of wind to stalling at finals,

3 eye witness reports.

Next report might be wheel fell off, eye witness as well.

Anyway, I,m sticking with my eye witness. Thankfully no injuries, damaged pride and machine, and reminder to all of us to pilot to pilot.......always.

Even after 30+ yrs of flying gyros! the odd wake up call was a reality check.

Complacency, bad habits etc can creep into your piloting.

The unique challenges of flying make it worthwhile to me . The AIR is the medium you operate in and that is what makes it different. You are an AIRMAN...You might do 15 landings in a day and that makes it pretty familiar and natural with your reactions, but most croppy accidents are late in the day when the lookout for a wire was relaxed. A wire that was known the day before when the paddock was surveyed. Nev

How about.......stalled just before touchdown, bounced hard, 2nd impact was untidy.....over she goes. ( recent purchase as well )All this according to eye witness ( fellow aviator ) ....so there you go.

Which model, and was there a wind gust?

People report Jabs as if they all handled the same, and had the same control surfaces, which they don't

Some gusts will exceed rudder authority in some models and that's beyond the Pilot's control, and vital information for people who haven't experienced gusty landings.....and there are many of those.

My little aeroplane keeps me very honest. I simply can't relax when landing, even after I get to the taxiway.

The clear air thermal, the sudden gust or wind shear can all bring things undone so quickly...the ATSB reports are surely evidence of that.

Things do go wrong when aviating and even the most experienced pilot can get caught out. As Nev said, it only takes a moments distraction and Murphy will strike. And I don't regard myself as "experienced".

A few years ago I was taxiing from the bowser to put my baby away and went between a row of parked aircraft and a wire fence. I had plenty of room to do a 180 so I tramped on the left brake, gave a small burst of power and...the wheel skidded on the wet grass, I got too close to the wire and caught just 2" of the elevator in the wire. It caught between elevator and tail plane.

It took months to get it back in the air because the force applied by the turning aircraft, although not enough to break a single strand of 16g wire, was sufficient to put an unaerodynamic bend in the rear of the fuse.

One moment's carelessness and yet I have always tried to be careful and competent.

My bad! Embarrassment and expense. And time off from flying. A lesson learned.

Kaz

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

While some models of Jabiru have a fairly limited rudder authority, I don't feel they should be singled out for landing difficulties. They are fine if you don't get too slow, cross controls rather than fly coordinated, and don't land on the nosewheel. Some very light wing loaded aircraft are so sensitive to winds they should not be out there in anything but very calm conditions. This is not so different from the very early days of aviation and don't forget they were all over fields so you always could land into wind back then. Nev

• Agree 1

Some are not fine FH, as evidenced by upgrade kits now fitted. It's important to get away from generalities, if we are to get this particular incident into perspective and find out the real cause rather than just sh$tcan the pilot.

• Caution 1

LOL let the complete over anlaysis based on few facts begins.... wonderful how we invent a truth that makes sense in our own little minds but may infact have no resemblance of the actual situation...... Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

• Like 2

Starting to make it somewhat difficult to express an honest opinion here. I'm always prepared to respond to facts and I don't make a practice of sh1tcanning pilots either. I would have thought to the contrary.

Dr Z. You can't have it both ways. You want freedom to express your views and limit others when they do. Nev.

• Agree 1

Im not saying that , go for it, I say. ...... i just find it interesting how we fill in the gaps......

I wasnt talking about you or anyone in particular..... its great the discussion that takes place. Even if half the facts are missing its an interesting debate / discussion

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1