Wellcamp

Yenn

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know, the plucky London born and raised Liberal Party Leader Anthony John Abbott announced just before Assistant Treasurer Arthur Sinodinos was due to give evidence at the ICAC hearing that have claimed the careers of 10 state Liberal MPs, that the terror threat had been raised "why do we still have a terror threat index?" to HIGH.

Now not meaning to panic everyone but that photo was taken and uploaded to the ISIL recruiting site The Face Book on Tuesday. Clearly this show that the ISIL are evaluating this strategic economic resource. Don't panic but if you see any trucks around Wellcamp area call the terror hot line 1800 123 400.

No security bollards at all but the turf is in?

BxXZz_WIIAAW8Ky.png

Notice the state of completion, carpets, electrical fit out etc.

The Southern Cross Aviation SC-1 prototype is now a show piece of the Wellcamp Airport terminal.

Built at the Toowoomba Foundry in the late 1950s, it made its first flight in 1961 but never took off in the marketplace.

The plane was placed in storage before being put on display at Moorabbin Aircraft Museum in Melbourne.

It was loaned to the Oakey Army Aviation Museum in 2002 for a 10-year lease and bound for Melbourne when the Wagners got involved, snapping it up for the main stage at Wellcamp Airport.

I would have thought they would also display that other foray into aviation in Toowoomba, the Ozzie Mozzie which was developed by Buchannan Aircraft Corporation in the late 80's early 90's[ATTACH=full]32046[/ATTACH]

That's looks very progressive for that time...Never seen it what happened to it?

That's looks very progressive for that time...Never seen it what happened to it?

It had a nosewheel collapse (due to shimmy, which fractured the fibreglass) on landing at Toowoomba, which of course necessitated an engine bulk strip - a major issue for a Rotax 912 crankshaft - and the project was shelved.

Pity, it's a nice looking aircraft. Castor?

I assume you mean, "caster?" - yes, it had a typical free-castering nosewheel (I think is was a Scott tailwheel assembly, but not sure at this length of time) mounted of a forward-facing cantilever spring leg. It also had very small-chord elevators, which did not have sufficient power to hold the nosewheel off after the weight came onto the mains.

Sorry, I should have said caster, and I was thinking maybe it didn't have enough caster angle.

It was probably some such devilish detail; however it shimmied violently and the GRP leg de-laminated and failed; fortunately it did not dig into the bitumen runway and cause an overturn. The flight was confined to a single close circuit, because the engine cooling system was obviously inadequate. All fairly normal teething troubles with a new prototype, but it caught John Buchanan at an awkward financial moment, so the project died. Most unfortunate, because the aircraft showed considerable promise, I thought.

As a consequence of this experience, I rather dislike that forward-cantilever noseleg format because of its propensity to dig in in the event of a nosewheel failure

I think John Buchannan took to the airframe with an axe and took the bits to the tip. Unfortunately at the time we did have a federal government that was very anti aviation and they closed up opportunities which helped the demise of aircraft development and john ran out of dollars..

and concentrated on commercially viable alternatives such as Adelaide Steamship supply contracts etc

From memory the early LNC2 (although aleo strut) suffered bad shimmy with some nose wheel collapses.

As for forward cantilever sprung nose wheels, both the Cirrus and Grumman singles have them and are also castering.

I think John Buchannan took to the airframe with an axe and took the bits to the tip. Unfortunately at the time we did have a federal government that was very anti aviation and they closed up opportunities which helped the demise of aircraft development and john ran out of dollars..and concentrated on commercially viable alternatives such as Adelaide Steamship supply contracts etc

From memory the early LNC2 (although aleo strut) suffered bad shimmy with some nose wheel collapses.

As for forward cantilever sprung nose wheels, both the Cirrus and Grumman singles have them and are also castering.

LNC2 ? Sorry, it didn't click for me. Yes, I know about the Cirrus and Grumman singles - and their noselegs work, mostly, but I still have an aversion to that layout.

days out from opening and now this

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/feds-freeze-funding-for-bypass/2398854/

TOOWOOMBA bypass funding appears to have been frozen by the Federal Government on the same day companies were asked to prepare construction proposals.

Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls said he had received a letter saying funding would not be approved until a full review was carried out.

work.gif.8d9e6d8ba9cdbd13b3ec052de09a1de4.gif

My take on this is the Fed roads engineers had a closer look at the proposal and realised that it was going to go way way over budget.

The implications for Wellcamp are significant as the Toowoomba-Cecil Plains Road is not going to take the volume of traffic very long before it ends up wrecked

"After years of Labor inaction the LNP Government has finally got this project up and running," he said.

I think Tony has been listening to your daily messages FT, and at the same time ensured Campbell Newman doesn't get too big for his boots and start breaking well proven inaction cycles.