go-pro "style" camera - any good?

ayavner

I just ordered one also. My son has a GoPro Hero 3 Black. Once I get my "cheapie", I shall attempt to get some side by side video from both the cameras and post here for comparison.

Thanks but please note there isn't any more in Stock and I have to wait for the next batch to arrive before I can ship it out

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked at pricing for olive oil bottles. We pay about 90 cents per bottle when we buy a pallet of 3000, but I can buy them for 20 cents if I order 100,000. The same discount scales seem to apply to mass produced electronic goods.

Guest Andys@coffs

It certainly suggests that buying consortia of people with like needs are a good thing....buying 100,000 bottles might well be insane for a single small supplier , but might only represent 3 years need to a group of 11 common need buyers....

Andy

Australia produced more than 20 million litres of olive oil last year, less than 1% of world production. I don't know how much of it went into bottles but I guess a few million bottles were involved. I agree, someone like Ian sourcing things we want makes a lot of sense.

Thanks but please note there isn't any more in Stock and I have to wait for the next batch to arrive before I can ship it out

Thanks Ian,

I had noted that from your previous posts and I'm not in any hurry so a delay in delivery is not a problem for me. I ordered anyway, just in case you had a rush of buyers for the next shipment!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Ian,I had noted that from your previous posts and I'm not in any hurry so a delay in delivery is not a problem for me. I ordeed anyway, just in case you had a rush of buyers for the next shipment!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave...I prefer to be upfront

• Like 2

Just received mine a couple days ago and so far all indications are that it has all the features you'd want, easy to use and with plenty of mounting options, and a few quick test snaps have revealed perfectly good pics and videos in the admittedly darker late afternoon light inside my house.

Only critique I'd have so far is more around the companion app - at least the iOS version. Rather than having a viewfinder or screen on the back, the unit sends a wifi signal to your ipad/iphone/tablet via a downloadable app - this allows you to see where it is pointing, and some controls (video/picture, resolution, timer, white balance, so on) so its really a great concept. Problem is the app is a little dodgy and randomly resizes itself such that any useful buttons are off screen somewhere and you cannot get them back.

But that's an issue with the app, and I am sure as it gains in popularity they will provide updates over time. Still its useful for aiming the thing, and you can always control the shutter with the handy remote!

2 thumbs up and 4.5/5 stars - thanks for making this great product available to us at a great price Ian!! If I go flying this weekend, I'll take some proper pics and video to test it out, and post it here.

• Like 2

Great to hear the feedback, thanks. There is only one left in the next batch when they arrive and ALL of them will now come with a FREE 32gb CLASS 10 High Speed SD Card and an SD Card Reader

• Like 1

It will have in the new store. It isn't in the current one due to spamming but the new store has better anti-spam features. Just an update on the new store, all the current products are in there and there and they are in their categories. Getting the right products in the right categories has been a major job so I hope I have it right. I have sitting in my office here another 50 or so more different product lines that will now be added to it. There is another 200 odd new product lines currently being shipped even including a Santa Suit which I hope arrives in time but customs are really playing hard ball. With all the terrorist stuff going on, customs are searching just about every package not just in the arriving country but also the departing country. Some shippers are not even allowing anything liquid or anything with a battery in it at all. Then there is the Christmas shipping that is also delaying things...what a nightmare.

The new shop should be opening this week some time

Yes Mate, there is one left in the next batch, the rest have been sold. To answer when they will arrive is like answering how long is a piece of string. I have had things arrive within 5 days and others have taken over 2 months. So sorry I can't answer that one but the minute they do arrive they get sent out providing nothing has happened to them like the recent news story of DHL throwing parcels into a truck

Don't know if this helps you but I have ordered 3 batches of tablets:

Batch 1: Ordered 18/9 - Arrived 8/10 - 21 days

Batch 2: Ordered 13/10 - Hasn't arrived yet

Batch 3: Ordered 29/10 - Arrived 14/11 - 16 days

Batch 2 is in Australia and stuck in Customs

Customs. They make it hard to run a business.

Tell me about it I have to allow a 50%loss rate for my guns and contraband and when I do get the shipments through there always seems to be significant cash missing 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

PS (that is meant to be a joke)

Tell me about it I have to allow a 50%loss rate for my guns and contraband and when I do get the shipments through there always seems to be significant cash missing 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gifPS (that is meant to be a joke)

I have a container on its way from Florida ATM, apparently it was "randomly" selected by customs in the US for inspection. So that cost me $800 for them to have a look plus $350 for the forwarding agent to move it from their yard to customs and back. The word is that customs probably didn't select my container, the agent is just milking a bit more from the deal. You can't say anything though because your container may have an accident if you make trouble.ranting.gif.5470ae857812d977cdbca23fadaf1614.gif

If a person where running a business importing goods, I guess a person would just have to build the risk into the importation costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the next batch of the cameras have arrived and again pre-orders means there is again only 1 left...FlyVulcan and Mark, yours as well as the other orders are going out to you today, Dave lucky you put SA in the order as shipping to where you are could be a problem :)

• Like 1

early tests are positive, but only small snag at the moment is I haven't found anywhere i can mount it on the 152 - the cowling is a thick soft rubbery slab so nothing to really clamp onto. Thinking I'll pick up a suction cup mount for it so i can pop it on the window.

Ok, the next batch of the cameras have arrived and again pre-orders means there is again only 1 left...FlyVulcan and Mark, yours as well as the other orders are going out to you today, Dave lucky you put SA in the order as shipping to where you are could be a problem :)

Thanks Ian...I am looking forward to getting it...if it is pretty good I will order another 1 or 2 units

Mark

• Caution 1

Office works have a great one for $59 and it works great too...

But vibration is the killer..th go pros and better versions have motion steadying software....the cheapies dont...to me thats the biggest reason to pay a fortune or not...

I would check the specs on that office works one, I saw it when I was there the other day and it is OK but lower specs, if you want one like that I can get them for about $49.95 so let me know if you want really cheap ones. The specs of that one isn't that much better than the $25 ones that I have but without the case

Brilliant. Thanks Ian. I'll get my son to open it up and give it a test run side by side with his GoPro. I'll get him to edit the two identical shots into a short YouTube video and I'll post a link here so forumites can view a comparison. Unfortunately he's only 15 and not a pilot so the footage will be from the car...

Dave