go-pro "style" camera - any good?

ayavner

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I have ordered a cheaper version of the cameras, spec'd slightly better than the ones mentioned above from Office Works and these also have WiFi but unlike our good ones, these don't have remote control etc however they will be priced comparable to those Office Works ones but as I said, these have WiFi etc. So this will mean we will have 3 different levels of cameras for you to choose from.

The next batch of Tablets are due any day now and again they are all sold out, the last one being reserved today. I just don't know how many of these kinds of things to order because I don't want to tie up too much capital which only ends up forcing the prices up and I am trying to keep them as cheap as possible

I got my Camera yesterday and fired it up and made a some recordings...it looks really good especially for the money. Will be a week or more until I can try it in the plane. The only downside is it may not be able to be externally powered so you can only use the battery but I will make up a special USB cable and see if it can be done. As soon as you plug in the cable now and have the camera on it goes into connected to the PC mode but I maybe able to defeat that will see what happens in a few days

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Good one guys, can't help yourselves can you.

Looks like a real busy big airport with real big aircraft and the real controllers can slot a little puddle jumper in as long as they know how to fly in a real busy airspace.

That seems to take the boring out of circuits.

Kregster got some more?

Good one guys, can't help yourselves can you.Looks like a real busy big airport with real big aircraft and the real controllers can slot a little puddle jumper in as long as they know how to fly in a real busy airspace.

Kregster got some more?

I agree, peeps have to remember that there is no such thing as a standard circuit at some controlled airfields. Well there is standard circuits but sometimes pilots have to be flexible and be ready and fly a non standard circuit.

I have a white edition standard type with a wrist band remote control,and love them.Pictures and recording set at 720 max wide angle is like having a 3rd eye its so clear.

Especially mounted on the helmet instead of the Aerochute frame.The only very minor thing is because they are so small they do not have a playback screen and you need to pair it with your iphone to playback which has a slight lag in the playback.If you download it on your pc or YouTube, no problems with lag.

I've made plenty of short approaches as requested by ATC & sometimes that meant turning onto base when almost parallel to the threshold. No different to a simulated engine failure while downwind other than having power. I really enjoyed them as it made you think & work hard.

That is true. true in Australia now too.

I thought that might have been the case, Dave, so I Googled it before I posted since I've been out of the loop for many years. That is probably the case at controlled aerodromes where you can be cleared to a lower turn, but CAAP 166-1(3) 6.5.2 dated August 2014 for Uncontrolled Aerodromes still states that the turn onto final "should be completed at least 500 ft above aerodrome elevation. This should allow sufficient time for the pilot to ensure that the runway is clear for landing. It will also allow sufficient time for the majority of aircraft to fly a stabilised approach and landing."

Guest Howard Hughes

When you are cleared for a close/tight/short approach, it does not mean that you are cleared for a low approach. Also when cleared for take off and to make an early turn, it also doesn't mean a low turn, it only means you can turn prior to the upwind end of the runway.

However a lot of people see this as a clearance to hook into a turn at about three feet.

PS: These comments apply only to Oz, in the US all bets are off!

.... CAAP 166-1(3) 6.5.2 dated August 2014 for Uncontrolled Aerodromes still states that the turn onto final "should be completed at least 500 ft above aerodrome elevation...."

My copy of the 2010 VFG has the same info. Back then there was this rule: "before landing, descend in a straight line starting at least 500 metres from the threshold of the landing runway" but that rule has been removed. Perhaps you might like to google the law? (we were discussing requirements rather than good airmanship)

http://www.clearprop.com.au/for-aircraft/cameras/camera-units/go-pro-hero-3-style-sport-camera-with-wifi/Hey all - seriously thinking about one of these, if they work and are decent, the price is certainly right! I am sure it isn't "As good" as the real thing in many areas, but is it "good enough"?

interested in any feedback on this, think it'd be great for snapping pics or short videos in-flight.

Have a look at YouTube - CAV - OK Kevin Mallin tours France. . . . He had one on his trike, suspended just above his head on the trike Monopole, some of the footage is really good quality and his daft comments, interfaced from the radio are hilarious, ie, his "Franglish" responses to the tower operators when flying "Inland" in France, where, if you don't parlez vous Francais, you can well get problems ! ! !

One of his comments was a classic, ie. . "Oh Crap,. . . . .what's the French word for Runway. . . . " . . . I asked him later if he was PISTE at the time. . . . .!

Phil

early tests are positive, but only small snag at the moment is I haven't found anywhere i can mount it on the 152 - the cowling is a thick soft rubbery slab so nothing to really clamp onto. Thinking I'll pick up a suction cup mount for it so i can pop it on the window.

You COULD try a couple of squares of self ahesive velcro strip, and bung this onto the top of the rubber coaming, ( I did this with our C172 ) this is available from any exhibition / graphics supplier but remember to get some pieces of the opposite sex or it will refuse to stick together. . . . . . AND remember, it's a bugger to get the goo off if you sell the plane later ! ! ! ! ( Nail varnish remover, or Standard thinner ( Acetone based )

Phil

• Helpful 1

When you are cleared for a close/tight/short approach, it does not mean that you are cleared for a low approach. Also when cleared for take off and to make an early turn, it also doesn't mean a low turn, it only means you can turn prior to the upwind end of the runway.However a lot of people see this as a clearance to hook into a turn at about three feet.

PS: These comments apply only to Oz, in the US all bets are off!

The temptation is always there Howard, I had an experience years ago at Birmingham Intl ( EGBB) where I was flying a pilot friend in his own aircraft with his Wife and a couple of kids into the airport for a connecting flight to Spain, this was on a nice quiet Sunday afternoon, when it all went pearshaped, the weather started to deteriorate, they had several inbound diversions and I'd already been held orbiting Birmingham city centre for 42 minutes, the controller cleared me to approach and expedite to Rwy 05, I did just that, and made quite a low and a bit sharpish turn onto final. . . . and just on short final, a B727 freighter ( bulgarian, as I later discovered ) had mistaken Birmingham's runway 33 for Coventry, where he should have been, and landed at the same time as I was touching down on 05, which was a cross runway situation. Since I was flying a PA28 Cherokee 6- 300, I was able to stop WELL before the intersection, which was good. . . . . ! as I didn't see the guy until I was rolling out and he went whizzing across my view from right to left ! . . . I have to admit that I'd never seen as much black smoke from a 727 as that aircraft was leaving,. .( I used to have an FE rating on that type ) anyway, no harm done, but I never got the chance to have a beer with the pilot afterwards, as I had to bugger off to scotland with the Cherokee 6 after dropping off my passengers. . . . I Didn't get any admonishment for the low / sharp final turn, using the word "EXPEDITE" as my Pre - excuse ! ! !

I often wondered what it would be like to be a professional pilot again. . . . . . ! I'll bet you've got some good pub stories ? ? ? ? ?

OI, . . . I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT BLOODY CAMERAS, . . . what's all this reminiscing about circuits and stuff ? ? ? ?

Phil

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes
I'll bet you've got some good pub stories ? ? ? ? ?

I try to not have too many stories worth telling! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Of course if I had one of these cameras (Mrs Hughes), I'd have some great footage to share!014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Did you see what I did there? ^^

Good one guys, can't help yourselves can you.Looks like a real busy big airport with real big aircraft and the real controllers can slot a little puddle jumper in as long as they know how to fly in a real busy airspace.

Kregster got some more?

I do have some more.... Check out www.youtube.com/skyhighreport Thanks for the comments!

Be careful of the suction cup needs a real clean dry flat surface recommend that you use a safety tie as well. last thing you need is it ending up behind a rudder peadel or flying around the cockpit after a heaving or botched landing. Have also seen a couple snapped off when skydivers have bashed them on exit.