go-pro "style" camera - any good?

ayavner

http://www.clearprop.com.au/for-aircraft/cameras/camera-units/go-pro-hero-3-style-sport-camera-with-wifi/

Hey all - seriously thinking about one of these, if they work and are decent, the price is certainly right! I am sure it isn't "As good" as the real thing in many areas, but is it "good enough"?

interested in any feedback on this, think it'd be great for snapping pics or short videos in-flight.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at a few alternates as well. Most of the alternates will do 30fps and at least 1080p video. For most purposes this is ok, but basic features I've been looking for that many don't have is >30fps so you can do smooth slow mo's and 3.5mm audio jack input - the audio input is needed for recording the intercom.

I assume you want to do some inflight videos so checkout hobby RC cams for the wing mounts as we'll. Most are flat so u can mount them more or less flush.

Surprisingly the iPhone does a pretty good job of recording. You can even get an adapter for recording intercom/ATC.

Ak

• Like 1

GOPros are excellent and do everything they claim to. I have used them in a number of weird situations, and they work very well.

As to the alternatives, I suspect you lose something if you are saving much money, so you need to understand what you don't get for that saving. I don't think I would buy one unless I had seen it in real use.

The only drawback with all of these is I call them "dickhead cams". When you start hooking it it up, just stop for a minute, and think "is this really sensible?"

dodo

• Like 1

Clear Prop keeps selling out of them and as we get new stock most of them are already sold and we haven't had one bad comment back so all seems good. Have one left in stock and another batch coming but currently customs are holding back many of our orders coming into Australia and then all the Christmas shipping will slow things down as well. You have to remember that on things like this you are paying a high premium for the name so always compare the spec's

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They are pretty much standard equipment for skydivers these days. They give great HD quality and are extremely robust. They can also be mounted inverted and take good stills as well. Go Pros web site give all the details and operating instructions on all models. You tube have plenty of sample footage as well.

I bought a miniature Go Pro knock off from Big W some time ago, $90.

The card cost me another $30.

It came with 2 mounts, an infra red remote and is wifi compatible, I drive it from my iPhone,( requires App down load) which shows the image being recorded, (video and still), record, on off, format etc, a water resistant case, all cables and is the size of a match box

I have a large format TV, and the image through the telly, is as good a picture quality on any free to air channel.

I am pretty happy with it, although I did take a 15 minute video of my right nostril after turning it on as I put it down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started with a knock off version,( $50ebay) then received the latest gopro hero black edition.($550 birthday) judge for your self..

Lightwing vid filmed with $50 ebay cam

Nieuport with $550 gopro hero black.

• Informative 1

I've just ordered the one in question, Ian good to know you've sold a lot and haven't had any complaints or returns. I'll post a video here when i've figured it out. That and a book haha

thanks all!

• Like 3

Sold out now...again. Next batch is coming but with customs the way they are at the moment I don't know when they will arrive. Our ones are very good with HD 1080 and up to 60fps

hopefully I was the one that got the last one? :)

You were mate, and I will throw in a 32gig CLASS 10 High Speed SD Card for it. Not sure I can do that again with the Aussie Dollar now really low

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Twist my arm......toss in one of those cards......I just might order a camera off you.

Ok, you will send me broke but I will toss a card in but please note that I can't ship one out today because I have to wait for the next batch to arrive in a few weeks and hopefully they are not all sold out by the time they get here. I ordered this lot at a bit better exchange rate then if I ordered more today

• Informative 1

LOL, I see another pilot supplies store selling the 32gig CLASS 10 High Speed SD Cards for $90, that's right $90 and what are ours? Only $22.95 which is about right in the general market...why should pilots pay a premium???????

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

You will have to compare the specs Russ:

LCD Display: Three Digital "888+ICON" Monochrome LCD Display

Image Sensor: 5.0MP CMOS

Focus: F3.1 f=2.9mm

Still Image Resolution: 8M (3264 x 2448) ; 5M (2592 x 1944)

Image File Format: JPG

Video Resolution: FHD (1920 x 1080P 30FPS) ; HD (1280 x 720P 60FPS) ; HD (1280 x 720P 30FPS)

View Angle: 120 degree wide angle

Video File Format: H.264

Internal Memory: DDR3 1GB, 8MP SPI

External Memory: Micro SD to 32gig

Digital/Optical Zoom: 4X (APP)

WIFI: Support

Infrared remote control: Support

Water-resistant: 40 meters waterproof case

Continuous Shot: Support

White balance: Support

Interface: Micro USB

AV Out: N/A

HDMI Port: Yes

Power Sources: External Lithium battery 1000mAh; Life:1080P 110mins/ 1080P 60mins(Open wifi).

Dimensions: 61 x 38 x 25mm

Weight: 82g

Standard package included:

1 x DV camcorder,

1 x Battery,

1 x USB cable,

1 x Helmet Stand,

1 x Water proof case,

1 x Remote Controller,

1 x Bike stand,

1 x User Manual,

1 x Monopod

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I just ordered one also. My son has a GoPro Hero 3 Black. Once I get my "cheapie", I shall attempt to get some side by side video from both the cameras and post here for comparison.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1