Jabiru limitations

Guest Andys@coffs

Apologies to anyone offended by odd responses from me. I must be hitting buttons when I am scrolling through posts on the iPad.

Apparently have done it twice now. Sorry....passion fingers!

Kaz

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minister has the Forsyth report. Why do we think out

The minister has the Forsyth report. Why do we think out gripes are going to do anything?Casa seem to be acting in exactly te same way I have come to 'expect' they would. Casa react to criticism of their actions like a spoiled child, they will just jack up and prove to you who is boss. All the dealings I hve had with them over the years had taught me, yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir...

Pointing out what we see as ' injustice' won't do jack.

You sound like the type of person that would like a job with them, the yes sir attitude, seems to be what is going on now.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is it correct that the CASA themselves have made this move and not done it through the delegated authority which rests with RA-Aus?

I would have thought that the correct course would have been for the CASA to bring this issue to RA-Aus's attention and request RA-Aus to regulate the recreational community while the CASA regulate the VH community.

Why have a dog (RA-Aus) and then bark yourself? Or doesn't RA-Aus have the necessary powers to take appropriate action.

• Agree 1

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is it correct that the CASA themselves have made this move and not done it through the delegated authority which rests with RA-Aus? 

I would have thought that the correct course would have been for the CASA to bring this issue to RA-Aus's attention and request RA-Aus to regulate the recreational community while the CASA regulate the VH community.

Why have a dog (RA-Aus) and then bark yourself? Or doesn't RA-Aus have the necessary powers to take appropriate action.

I believe the answer is, that RAA does NOT have the power to make this type of determination. That is also the understanding of the Board, btw.

In the case of certificated engines, the certificating authority has the power to impose conditions on engines that it has certificated / accepted the certification.

In the case of certified engines ( i.e. ASTM-certified), it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make such determinations.

I believe the answer is, that RAA does NOT have the power to make this type of determination. That is also the understanding of the Board, btw.In the case of certificated engines, the certificating authority has the power to impose conditions on engines that it has certificated / accepted the certification.

In the case of certified engines ( i.e. ASTM-certified), it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make such determinations.

The days of RAA as the appointed Administrator of recreational aviation seem to be numbered as demonstrated by the recent actions of CASA as the regulator over the imposed Jabiru Limitations.

The recognised protocol that should have been taken by CASA (the regulator) ,they should have notified RAA ( the administrator) the requirement that was to be actioned & then RAA had a duty to act accordingly, whereas in this case CASA have acted as "Judge, Jury & Executioner", & furthermore it appears that CASA consider that they are not accountable to anyone except themselves.

Jeez I must be missing something, all I have seen is CASA compiling evidence and then acting on that evidence.

Dazza, with due respect, I as much as anyone else I would like to see jabiru engines reliable , please read post 306 . The point is ATSB was investigating LSA engine reliability over a period of time, CASA took the figures for the last 12 months, apart from that CASA pulled this nonsense on the 13th of Nov, the last day of the CFI conference and said nothing there, before a meeting with jabiru re audit they pulled this stunt, and that's what it is, really is this going to help make engines reliable ? Destroying another aircraft company and many RAA schools and a smaller choice of aircraft to buy. This is not what I want ? What do you want ?

• Agree 1

Dazza, with due respect, I as much as anyone else I would like to see jabiru engines reliable , please read post 306 . The point is ATSB was investigating LSA engine reliability over a period of time, CASA took the figures for the last 12 months, apart from that CASA pulled this nonsense on the 13th of Nov, the last day of the CFI conference and said nothing there, before a meeting with jabiru re audit they pulled this stunt, and that's what it is, really is this going to help make engines reliable ? Destroying another aircraft company and many RAA schools and a smaller choice of aircraft to buy. This is not what I want ? What do you want ?

They have had many many years to get it right but for what ever reason they haven't. What do I want ? Is not to read in the paper or watch in the news when somebody is killed. I am sorry mate but when I flew a Jab 16 years ago, they were very unreliable. I feel that we were the test pilots going from the 1600 to the first 2200 engines. They were heading in the right direction for a while with solid lifters but that hard work has seemed to come unstuck. Aviation is expensive and corners cant be cut for a cheaper product.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They have had many many years to get it right but for what ever reason they haven't. What do I want ? Is not to read it the paper or watch in the news when somebody is killed. I am sorry mate but when I flew a Jab 16 years ago, they were very unreliable. I feel that we were the test pilots going from the 1600 to the first 2200 engines. They were heading in the right direction for a while with solid lifters but that hard work has seemed to come unstuck. Aviation is expensive and corners cant be cut for a cheaper product.

Message understood, BUT, Then why did CASA not act years ago ? Why did they certify it ? And I agree with you on the rest, but I do want a result. A good result.

• Agree 1

Message understood, BUT, Then why did CASA not act years ago ? Why did they certify it ? And I agree with you on the rest, but I do want a result. A good result.

That is the million question mate. I have no idea how CASA past it. The other million dollar question is how some operators are trouble free and some who have a lot trouble. It seems to be fragile or not very robust IMO.

Aviation is expensive and corners cant be cut for a cheaper product.

Can't or perhaps cannot .....072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

I have no idea how CASA past it.

Passed......072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif

Your dropping the ball a bit here Dazza. :sad angel:How can we take you seriously as the spelling and grammar policeman :cops:if you let us down like this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Guest Maj Millard

Did nobody get the CEOs Xmas Email newsletter ?.......I did and presumably 96% of RAAus members with an Email address did also.

Additionally the RAAus is not, and has never been an enforcement agency for CASA, we enforce the required items in our own ops manual...that's it.

The Jabiru limitations draft mentions all Jab powered aircraft....there are quite a few with VH rego.....nothing to do with the RAAus there. CASA has presented this instrument, not the RAAus, in fact we actively opposed the way I was done. It is up to CASA to notify affected users, and they have done that on their website, under 'Latest news'.

Did nobody get the CEOs Xmas Email newsletter ?.......I did and presumably 96% of RAAus members with an Email address did also.Additionally the RAAus is not, and has never been an enforcement agency for CASA, we enforce the required items in our own ops manual...that's it.

The Jabiru limitations draft mentions all Jab powered aircraft....there are quite a few with VH rego.....nothing to do with the RAAus there. CASA has presented this instrument, not the RAAus, in fact we actively opposed the way I was done. It is up to CASA to notify affected users, and they have done that on their website, under 'Latest news'.

I didn't get the email or the previous one. I have re-registered for Email as thought something must have happened to drop me off the distribution list.

Sorry May to disagree

I think RA AUS has a responsibility to keep members informed on this issue. Nothing to do with being the police for CASA. Members need to be informed to do the right thing and be informed about legislation. But I agree that the CASA timeline was irresponsible and did not give RA AUS a chance to inform members appropriately.

Did nobody get the CEOs Xmas Email newsletter ?.......I did and presumably 96% of RAAus members with an Email address did also.Additionally the RAAus is not, and has never been an enforcement agency for CASA, we enforce the required items in our own ops manual...that's it.

So do you look at latest news everyday, THOSE ON CASA DIRECT EMAIL NOTIFICATION GOT NOTHING. As a member of RAA I will not attend any function if CASA is present as in my view they are parasites sucking the life out of RAA and that's not all of them that's the ones that hang around and harass RAA. My opinion of them is at an all time low and will never get better because they can't be trusted.

Guest Maj Millard
I didn't get the email or the previous one. I have re-registered for Email as thought something must have happened to drop me off the distribution list.

Kg..Please give the CEO a call at the first opportunity...he's friendly and he'll be happy to hear from you. I believe the office is closed until the 5th..but I don't think he'd mind a call, he'll sort out any problem that exist for you. That his job....Cheersi

Guest Maj Millard
Sorry May to disagreeI think RA AUS has a responsibility to keep members informed on this issue. Nothing to do with being the police for CASA. Members need to be informed to do the right thing and be informed about legislation. But I agree that the CASA timeline was irresponsible and did not give RA AUS a chance to inform members appropriately.

Rolf, the CEO did inform members at the first opportunity in his Xmas Email. I also sent out two Email newsletters to member in my Northern region informing of what the status was. if your local board member doesn't do the same then you need to give him a call and ask why ?..........

Guest Maj Millard
So do you look at latest news everyday, THOSE ON CASA DIRECT EMAIL NOTIFICATION GOT NOTHING. As a member of RAA I will not attend any function if CASA is present as in my view they are parasites sucking the life out of RAA and that's not all of them that's the ones that hang around and harass RAA. My opinion of them is at an all time low and will never get better because they can't be trusted.

Well Camel I must admit to holding some similar views on the subject also. No I admit I certainly don't check the CASA website everyday and that's because I like to think I have a life.

As a current board member I am notified by either the secretary or President if anything significant occurs within the CASA spectrum, I then do my best to notify my local members within my area