Why do you fly?

Yenn

I know that I have posted both of these before but they really do belong here.

My TIF was on Friday 13 June (black Friday what a good day). I was actually born on A Black Friday so it has always been special to me. So today 3.5 months later with 44 hours dual and 22 hours solo, I feel that I have arrived. Today I feel great. Today that little boy who 50 years ago as a 5 year old watched some amazing person land a plane on the claypan behind the local sawmill in Yelarbon, fuel up from fuel bludged from the locals and fly away again. Today that child achieved the dream that was born that day. Today I gained the right to fly to the horizons and beyond. I thank everyone who has helped me on this journey, some of those people are on this forum. My darling wife who gave the perfect advice on the worst days, my instructors for their tolerance and guidance.

Maybe just maybe, one day I will land somewhere, and a little boy holding his fathers hand behind a fence will look at me and say, one day I will do that and live long enough and work hard enough to actually do it. I just wish my Dad was still alive because 50 years ago I remember as clear as though it was yesterday when I told him that one day that will be me, his response was, and when you do son I will be your first passenger. Today Dad you rode on my shoulder, all the way. Thank You.

Cheers Geoff13

Yesterday whilst flying my own plane home from Orange I overflew Yelarbon. Well my planned track was from Goondiwindi to Dalby so I could not let this chance go by. The attached photo is the Yelarbon sawmill and the claypan behind it where the dream started 50 years ago taken from 3500 feet. What I wouldn't give to land there one day. And before anyone says it I know the hoops needed to be jumped through would not be worth it. Besides that the trees at the western end (top of shot) are 50 years taller then they were back then. And the standard of runway would be beyond my current skill level. But one can always dream. You can actually still see the fence line that we were leaning on between the Mill and the clay pan.[ATTACH=full]33422[/ATTACH]

1422496567_milllanding.jpg.b26e5a793ae014208bfe9419213d3ffd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a young lad, I used to be terrified of flying. My dad had his PPL, and would take me and my siblings up from time to time, mostly from Kyneton, and I hated it, especially when there was a bit of turbulence around. It wasn't until I flew in a commercial airliner for the first time that I realised it wasn't so bad. From that day on, I'd hassle dad to take me up every time we went near an airport.

When I was 16, I applied for my Student Pilots Licence, and started lessons in VH-ABW. I got my PPL in 1990, and flew fairly regularly until 1995, when money became a big issue. In 1998, I got married, and that pretty much killed any chance to fly again, or so I thought - my ex-wife hated little airplanes.

12 years passed, then I got the chance to get my licence current again. Taking my kids up for the first time was one of the best moments of my life :)

These days, I'm an RA instructor, and got my CPL in October last year.

• Like 6

Originating from King Island the only way to leave th palce is fly & I always enjoyed it as a kid (DC3,Fokker,SAAB) no matter how bumpy.I still enjoy flying in fixed wing but have no want to fly one but enjoy the thrill & simplicity of my Powered Parachute.

• Like 1

Originating from King Island the only way to leave th palce is fly & I always enjoyed it as a kid (DC3,Fokker,SAAB) no matter how bumpy.I still enjoy flying in fixed wing but have no want to fly one but enjoy the thrill & simplicity of my Powered Parachute.

DingerPPC,

Doesn't matter what you fly mate once those feet leave the earth we all share the same brotherhood & feeling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Broken Hill used to have the reputation of the highest youth suicide rate in Australia. I hope it is no longer true. It was an industrial town, and too far from anywhere to get away for a weekend. But from 8000 feet the teenage me could look down and see how insignificant is was, and how the world was much larger. I intended to see the world and step one was circling overhead BH in a Victa, responsible for my own destiny and for getting back safely on the ground. That's why I flew 45 years ago. Next morning, back down the mine, but I had the next flight to look forward to.

• Like 2

Grew up on the textile mill at Rutherford which was right next to the aerodrome, was fascinated by the Tiger moth & Cessna's that flew over our house, my friends & I would often hang out at the aero club & day dream, also at that time (1967) there was a tv show called the Aeronauts on the ABC, some of you might rememberer it, about a couple of French Mirage pilots solving crimes etc, great stuff for a 6 year old, but the icing on the cake at that same time was being buzzed in real life by a couple of Mirages from the nearby base at Willytown, the noise & speed was incredible & from that time on becoming a pilot was all I wanted to do.

I’ve been very lucky & fortunate to be able to achieve my childhood dream, have flown a wide variety of a/c & enjoyed them all except one (Duchess) been involved with RAA for the last 2 1/2 years & fly the Foxbat which I absolutely love so much that I plan on buying one in the near future, flying around at 85-90 kts with my wife on a nice day gives me more pleasure that droning at FL390 in an airliner on auto pilot. I’m a huge fan of the RAA which has made a/c ownership & flying both affordable & fun.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 4

Guest Howard Hughes

Well I fly because I was to short for the space programme! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

"This is why we fly", probably the best aviation video ever!! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Grew up on the textile mill at Rutherford which was right next to the aerodrome, was fascinated by the Tiger moth & Cessna's that flew over our house, my friends & I would often hang out at the aero club & day dream, also at that time (1967) there was a tv show called the Aeronauts on the ABC, some of you might rememberer it, about a couple of French Mirage pilots solving crimes etc, great stuff for a 6 year old, but the icing on the cake at that same time was being buzzed in real life by a couple of Mirages from the nearby base at Willytown, the noise & speed was incredible & from that time on becoming a pilot was all I wanted to do.  

I’ve been very lucky & fortunate to be able to achieve my childhood dream, have flown a wide variety of a/c & enjoyed them all except one (Duchess) been involved with RAA for the last 2 1/2 years & fly the Foxbat which I absolutely love so much that I plan on buying one in the near future, flying around at 85-90 kts with my wife on a nice day gives me more pleasure that droning at FL390 in an airliner on auto pilot. I’m a huge fan of the RAA which has made a/c ownership & flying both affordable & fun.

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I think you hit the nail on the proverbial there BB320 with those comments. I have also been involved in RA for the last few years and it opens up so many possibilities for enjoying flying that just weren't there before. I watched the recent administrative ructions with some dismay because RA is what has made it possible for me to own and fly my own aeroplane - a Foxbat A22LS as it happens, which I also find great fun. This thread is about the "birth" of our aviation interests but for many of us it seems it's as much about "rebirth". Just posted my first video of flying the FB on YouTube: (

)
  • Like 1

I think the best days are over DGL. Long Hauls Back of the clock 10 Nights away each month .Called out every Christmas or New year's eve because some shirker has feigned sickness. You are always away when there is some emergency at home.You can't do loops and barrel rolls or drop in on a grass strip. Each Pub is the Hilton "anywhere". You live out of a suitcase, Drink too much. Get mistaken by a fat American for a bellhop, who wants you sacked for not carrying his bags to his room when you are waiting for your pick up in the Hotel foyer. Trying to sleep when there is some great Clock chiming every hour outside your room or police sirens blaring. all the time. Trying to find food that won't make you sick etc

Like to do it occasionally not all the time. Enjoy what the RAAus has to offer and support it. You fly when YOU want to to a place you choose in a plane YOU can build yourself. What's better than that?

Half you blokes don't think airline pilots know anything about flying anyhow, so why want to be one? Nev

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

I think the best days are over DGL. Long Hauls Back of the clock 10 Nights away each month .Called out every Christmas or New year's eve because some shirker has feigned sickness. You are always away when there is some emergency at home.You can't do loops and barrel rolls or drop in on a grass strip. Each Pub is the Hilton "anywhere". You live out of a suitcase, Drink too much. Get mistaken by a fat American for a bellhop, who wants you sacked for not carrying his bags to his room when you are waiting for your pick up in the Hotel foyer. Trying to sleep when there is some great Clock chiming every hour outside your room or police sirens blaring. all the time. Trying to find food that won't make you sick etcLike to do it occasionally not all the time. Enjoy what the RAAus has to offer and support it. You fly when YOU want to to a place you choose in a plane YOU can build yourself. What's better than that?

Half you blokes don't think airline pilots know anything about flying anyhow, so why want to be one? Nev

The way you describe it Nev is the way it really is and when you get older it would be very hard to live this life, BUT I think we you are single and in your 20's I reckon they would think differently, no mortgages, no wives no real responsibility excepting to fly that plane and get everyone there safely...I think it would be ok when you are young IMO..

David

Who thinks airline pilots know nothing about flying. i have listened to a few of them and learnt. Aussie pilots are usually enthusiastic about flying and scathing about some of the other nationalities. with the air crashes we are seeingnowadays I think mour pilots are on the ball. they predicted years ago the things that are happening now.

Yeah I try to be accurate Thanks for your response. There's more... You don't actually get many landings in a month on long haul You never bank over 30 degrees. A lot of people around you are jealous of what they think you are getting. Usually your company treats you like "poo" Accountants hate paying pilots and training them and maintaining planes. They have NO idea what your job entails and are not even interested. The cockpit door is closed. No having wide eyed kids up there anymore. We used to know the refuellers by their first names, Same with the despatch engineers... Nev

• Agree 2

Accountnts and safety experts. Without them the world would be a better place.

Many years ago I was invited up front on a Fokker Friendship. Sat in the RH seat and just did a couple of gentle turns, nice and steady so as not to disturb the passengers, than I spotted a switch I didn't understand. Asked what it did and the skipper said try it, so I did and the engines went out of sync, even that didn't raise eyebrows.

In 1970 or 71, when I was about 20, I was flying back to Melbourne in a commuter twin - something like a Piper Chieftain. There were a few other passengers on board but it wasn't full. The plane was late taking off from Portland because it had to be jump-started as the batteries were flat. Twenty five minutes into the flight the plane touched town at the regular scheduled stop in Warrnambool on the way to Melbourne. I was sitting a few rows back and as we rolled up to the terminal with the engines idling, the pilot turned around and called me forward. He said, " I have to hop out here to collect the mail bags and get the passengers, but I don't want to stop the engines in case they won't start again. Can you sit in the co-pilot's seat and apply the toe brakes, like this, and keep them on until I get back." I was pretty surprised, but did what I was told and applied the brakes for all I was worth. He disappeared down the back and into the terminal and I found myself alone in the cockpit, in charge of a `big' plane with two engines running and several passengers in the back. He came back about five minutes later, by which time my leg muscles were rigid. He said, "Thanks very much!", and I went back to my seat. I can't be certain, but I'm sure it was all perfectly legal. augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

rgmwa

• Like 2

When I joined the army in '76 as a bright eyed and bushy tailed 16 year old apprentice, I got to sit on the flight deck of the Hercules that was bringing us from Amberly in Qld to Laverton in Vic. At about the fence it all got really busy as the drivers applied power and went around. I still have no idea why but the Helicopter in the middle of the runway may have had something to do with it. For a young country lad on his first ever airplane and terrified of heights is was all very exciting.

• Like 2

Suitably qualified? Well, I was able to follow the instructions I was given, so maybe, but I wouldn't like to have had to test that in court if I'd been the pilot. The passengers apparently didn't complain, so all's well that ends well, I guess. It made my day for the next few weeks though.

rgmwa

There are situations where you have to be practical and compromise/ adapt or the show doesn't go on. In a Past life I often had to defend pilots rights in "interviews" with the CASA (or whatever they called themselves from time to time) and various company management. I have also followed many court cases involving Pilots at work ending up there.

These people will spend months working out what the pilot had some seconds to determine. You will find that the issue is one "OF STRICT LIABILITY" so NO excuse is available. You could have oil all over your windscreen, or a dust devil encounter You did it You are gone. UNFAIR isn't it? Nev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Built balsa models from as early as I can remember.

Bought a scruffy Rogallo (86 degrees nose angle) in 1974 and learnt to fly it by jumping off Beachy Head on south coast of England. Got into competition hangliding in a shiny new machine.

Imported a Pterodactyl microlight from the States in 1979. Built it in my shed, then taught myself to fly it from the manual. No regulations or even many flying schools in those days (oh joy. . .) Did a 210km cross country flight, taking off before first light: watched the sun rise from 3500' over the English Channel. Forever etched in my brain.

Ran my own company making 2 seat microlights of my own design (one wire braced, the other strutted). Went bust.

Got involved with Richard Noble & our small company ARV Aviation designed & built the ARV Super2. From standing start to first flight in 13 months. Approved by UK CAA for Public Transport & aerial work. Built & sold 33, half to flying schools. I got my PPL and demonstrated, selling 14 aircraft. Went bust after prototype engine problems. (If only the Rotax 80 hp had been around it would have been a different story.)

Joined Met Research Flight as Instrument engineer, flew with RAF in various locations around the world in the MRF Hercules, aka 'Snoopy'.

Went gliding, reached solo standard.

Came back to Oz to retire, presently building a MiniMax 'Eros'.

I fly because it's fun!!

Bruce

• Like 3

I was lucky enough to do work experience in high school at a charter company in a remote part of the world. I had 2 jobs one was to drive the ute into town to get the pilots whatever they wanted and pick up mail bags the other was to taxi aircraft for whatever reason. I got to play with partenavia cesna 310 and a few others. I only had one close call in one of the girls where it had hydraulic nose wheel steering and I didn't know that just centering the pedals didn't make the thing drive in a straight line. I did have other jobs to do but they where just what I did to play with the aircraft.

I doubt things like that happen now doesn't matter how remote you are I already had a love of anything that flys and I think that was seen buy the young pilots that let me play with their toys and that's why they let me. Living there really cemented my love of flying because you spent a lot of time in planes.

The best flight I had I was in a C310 we had chartered for the old mans work and I was allowed to take off (assisted a lot ) fly the entire 20 min flight and then fly down to almost short final.

Now just waiting for life to get out of my way to get back in the air.

M

• Like 2

When i was much much younger, the bug might have started when i was introduced briefly to a remote control aircraft. It then was well and truly hooked by Microsoft Flight Simulator number 1. over numurous decades, a joy flight here and there, a "you're too tall to fly in the air force", mortgage, family and finally having 2 cents to rub together has brought me to this point. RPL down, Nav just starting, and when i'm up there you can't knock the smile off my face.

• Like 3