Can we legislate against stupidity

I've seen selfies posted of people on their first solo's. If I was still instructing I would be pulling the go-prop out of the aircraft before sending them solo. If the student refused to hand it over, then no going solo. I would also ask for their mobile, so they can't take a selfie with that or get distracted by it ringing just in case they forgot to turn it off.

Remember it's Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, not Selfie, Selife, Selfie

I've seen selfies posted of people on their first solo's. If I was still instructing I would be pulling the go-prop out of the aircraft before sending them solo. If the student refused to hand it over, then no going solo. I would also ask for their mobile, so they can't take a selfie with that or get distracted by it ringing just in case they forgot to turn it off.Remember it's Aviate, Navigate, Communicate, not Selfie, Selife, Selfie

I thought the "go-prop" was needed for flight!

Well I would agree to the no phone idea but a go pro if used as a set and forget would be a nice reminder of your first solo, can't see what benefit removing it would be. If used properly it would be an awesome teaching aid.

It seems we have all taken the title of the article as gospel and nowhere near as much focus has been put on the fact it was night flying without a night endorsement???? Ok that said texting and taking pics during climb out in the daytime would be foolish, doing it at night just plain/plane stupid, but doing it at night without the right training with a pax????????

So IMHO people should still be aloud to take go pros on every flight (if this one was working on this particular flight the investigation would have been much more conclusive) the idea of holding a students phone for their solo seems to be a good idea to me. But I find my phone a very useful device when flying and think to mandate that we didn't use them would be foolish, personally I think we (should be anyway) are sensible enough to stow them for all circuit work/ takeoff and landings?

• Agree 1

I was to bloody busy on my first solo to even think about my phone which by the way was turned off and left in the car during every lesson that I had so it couldn't distract me. It was only when I started my navs that I started carrying the phone and still turned off but there in case of emergencies and to contact the school during stops.

When I did my first solo you couldn't get cord long enough to take a phone with you. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

And you couldn't get one with a camera in it anyway. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4

and the second to last paragraph says:

To be fair, the University explains that while all subjects exhibited higher levels of these traits, they were still all within the range of normal. If you would like to read the study yourself, you can find it in the journal Personality and Individual Differences.

• Helpful 1

I always take my phone just in case of an emergency either locked away in a bag under my seat in the quicksilver or in the bag behind the seat in the foxbat but I must be behind the times cause I can't hear it ringing when I have a radio headset on!

I always take my phone just in case of an emergency either locked away in a bag under my seat in the quicksilver or in the bag behind the seat in the foxbat but I must be behind the times cause I can't hear it ringing when I have a radio headset on!

While in the air, the fewer distractions the better. But...

I'd sure like to be able to easily make a phone call while flying. It can be done with iPhone earbuds inside the the headset, but they tend to fall out. Much better to have a reliable interface to patch the phone into the headset. Can anyone recommend one?

I have Bluetooth on my headset which seems to work real good although harder on batteries, I have also seen intercom units with an audio fitting but I'm not sure how all that works?

I do find it very handy being able to make/receive calls inflight even if all you do is update your eta to your better half.

I wonder if there is a Bluetooth fitting that you could plug inline before your headset?? It shouldn't be too hard to do and then any headset could be used.

""A GoPro camera mounted to the plane's windshield recorded Singh and several other passengers taking selfies""Ahh, I am training now in a Cessna 150 and i dont know how you could get "Several Other Passengers taking selfies"

Great reporting, again.

Cessna offered rear seating for two light people.

I must be old Old Koorelah cause I'd much rather fly & listen out for other traffic than fiddle with a phone. I have taken the odd photo though but not with a phone & certainly not selfies. Too many people on the roads maimed or killed by using phones while driving - why do it in the air! Bluetooth is probably a good resource to have if you must make a call while in the air though.

• Agree 1

My wife has a Lightspeed Zulu headset. & bluetooths her phone to it. It does work quite well. It is supposed to have the radio override the phone but as she does not use it much that has never happened.

We sometimes stop at Dalby on the way south & they like 2 hrs notice to get fuel, this setup makes it easy to call on the way with an accurate ETA.

• 2 weeks later...

Same theme, different story. Sunrise (Ch 7) just showed video of an idiot snowboarding at 125 kph behind --- wait for it---

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

a Pilatus PC12.