CASA wants more money

mnewbery

“Whilst CASA has continued to review its operations and streamline them wherever possible the shortfall in the funding of the aviation regulatory services has continued to increase and is expected to continue to do so under the current arrangements,”

http://australianaviation.com.au/2015/04/industry-calls-for-rethink-of-new-casa-charges/

It's a good read

• Agree 1

We had a CASA safety presentation at our club last night.

Apparently we can expect it to take another 7 or 8 years for them to finish the CASRs which are supposed to harmonise us with other IATA signatories but don't because each country has the right to do its own thing.

We are clearly far more conscientious than the NZers, for example, because our regs are now many times more voluminous than theirs are and theirs are finished, ours have a long way to go, apparently.

Can't work out why an RA Certificate can be on a plastic card with all the endorsements recorded on it, but we need 24 pages of paper for a Part 61. Probably to do with my age...

Can't work out why they need a current photo, either. The B&W photocopy on my current paper licence looks more like one of those ink blobs we used to do as kids than it does me.

But be reassured that the new regs are now outcomes based in line with modern thinking apart from the many that many remain prescriptive, instead because they have to be, apparently.

Now, if it has cost $18m to get this far over about 16 years, I guess that means another $8m to go ( figures from memory but in the right ball park I think) . This seems to run counter to the Governments position on regulations that they should be minimal, effective and cost neutral.

The Governmwnt is chopping the heck out of Defence so perhaps it's time to put the scalpel through some of the 650 positions at CASA? But I suppose the regs will never be finished if that happens....sigh.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That puts this little issue in perspective I suppose. The first flight of my aircraft (and others) has been delayed for some time now as apparently CASA is unable to put a signature on an already drafted document that will formalise approval for builders to weigh their own aircraft - something they had been doing for years until someone apparently pointed out to CASA that the regs didn't actually allow it. This from Geoff Danes, the SAAA National Technical Manager in the April news bulletin:

I can only report with extreme disappointment that the outcome to this project is still pending. I am lost for

words to describe the CASA bureaucracy’s lack of ability to deliver an exemption to permit the agreed

permission in a timely fashion, given considerable effort that the SAAA has put into meeting the

prerequisite criteria. The SASO office approved our training process in July 2014, but we are still awaiting

the permission to exercise the agreed privileges. Indications are that it is now only a signature away for

completion.

I completed the required training course last November and can only assume they are too busy beavering away on the CASR's to waste time looking for a pen.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

I detect just the merest whiff of cynicism there Kaz.

CASA have reached the point where there is an argument that a person of reasonable intelligence has no chance of full compliance with CASA's rules, and in the past when this has occurred with other government controlled corporations, a major stuff up resulting in a major payout usually ignites the politicians into shutting down the corporation and incorporating controls back into government through a new Act, or going totally self-regulation. You could nearly split this into RPT/Commercial = government control, private/recreational = self administering. The only problem with that split is that both use the same airspace.

that a person of reasonable intelligence has no chance of full compliance with CASA's rules (Quote:- Turbo).

I just wonder it someone said to CASA "How do I weigh my project".. Instead of just going and weighing it.

Then this rot has surfaced --- a great deal of that wake me up stuff starts in an office with someone trying to justify their existence.

Remember a lot of CASA regulation is only a wish list because when it is challenged in court it falls over.

Regards

KP.

Yes Jake

We do not know who is friend or foe.

They just push their own agenda and hope we are all gullible and hand over fists full of money for the frivolous fixes.

Just like the Jabiru engine issue it is not what went on this site that is just pub talk ------- but -------- go and find the spark which started the fire, we will never find it in the short term however we will all find out later. How it all started and who are the main instigator.

Regards

KP.

I detect just the merest whiff of cynicism there Kaz.CASA have reached the point where there is an argument that a person of reasonable intelligence has no chance of full compliance with CASA's rules.....

Me cynical, Turbs? Never!

But I do wonder what happened to plain English and the general proscription against strict liability offences based on one of the few legal rights we have in Australia, the presumption of innocence (sadly legislated away time again).

We now live in a society that routinely folds to mass hysteria arguments and allows its rights to be abrogated almost as the rule, rather than the exception.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

For CASA's ex-RAAF staff, the idea of living within a budget probably seems a bit foreign.

Bagging our ex service people again? It's the pollies who make the rules and we elect them. Who do you blame for the budget overruns in health, welfare, local council etc etc. Do they all have ex RAAF staff or is it perhaps an in built function of public service bureaucracy?

Bagging our ex service people again? It's the pollies who make the rules and we elect them. Who do you blame for the budget overruns in health, welfare, local council etc etc. Do they all have ex RAAF staff or is it perhaps an in built function of public service bureaucracy?

It certainly IS public service beaurocracy in ALL departments in the UK , with their seemingly inbuilt belief that money grows on trees. . . .

Most civilisations go thru stages, and it looks like we're letting ours go down the gurgler.

http://www.draftymanor.com/bart/h_quigl3.htm

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/03/19/the-nine-stages-of-civilization-were-in-the-seventh-apathy/

Things have got so obvious my kid has started speading this old gem:

image.jpg.802ee45056d4d3087bcbb62f9a058357.jpg